Hi guys,

One question.
When I start a duty, can I:
work 40 min
break 15 min
drive 4:29 min
break 30 min
and then carry on driving.
Or do I need to move the vehicle before taking the 15 min break so it counts towards my break.

Thanks.
AJ

No you are fine.

Whilst the break of 15 minutes will mean that you may ‘work’ for another 6 hours before needing to take a further break under RT (WT)R, it will not count towards the EU drivers hours rules requirement for driving time breaks.
As the OP rightly stated; you need to interrupt driving with breaks for those breaks to count, so driving for 1 minute after the work then break of 15 is OK. Taking the break after work with no driving doesn’t count for EU rules.

Somebody needs to explain that to the inner workings of the tacho then cos I’ve done it several times - card in, walk round check, phone in, get told sit there, job on hold, so stick it on break, wander over to one of the healthy eating sites for a fat b…ards snack cos I am in training (to be a fat b…ard) then after 20 mins or so back on other work,phone in, new job, and away we go. 3 hours later pull in for a proper breakfast(not cous cous!) Have 35 minute break and tacho has cleared ready for another driving stint.

ajonsson:
Hi guys,

One question.
When I start a duty, can I:
work 40 min
break 15 min
drive 4:29 min
break 30 min
and then carry on driving.
Or do I need to move the vehicle before taking the 15 min break so it counts towards my break.

Thanks.
AJ

Not sure what official rules state, but in order for that 15 to count against your driving break (15+30) there has to be at least one minute of driving shown on tachograph. I got an infrigement just last month for same exact thing.

geebee45:
Whilst the break of 15 minutes will mean that you may ‘work’ for another 6 hours before needing to take a further break under RT (WT)R, it will not count towards the EU drivers hours rules requirement for driving time breaks.
As the OP rightly stated; you need to interrupt driving with breaks for those breaks to count, so driving for 1 minute after the work then break of 15 is OK. Taking the break after work with no driving doesn’t count for EU rules.

+1

Beau Nydel:
Somebody needs to explain that to the inner workings of the tacho then cos I’ve done it several times - card in, walk round check, phone in, get told sit there, job on hold, so stick it on break, wander over to one of the healthy eating sites for a fat b…ards snack cos I am in training (to be a fat b…ard) then after 20 mins or so back on other work,phone in, new job, and away we go. 3 hours later pull in for a proper breakfast(not cous cous!) Have 35 minute break and tacho has cleared ready for another driving stint.

Whether the Tacho has cleared the counter or not, from what you describe you have broken the rules regarding breaks from driving.

Let’s hope you don’t end up in a roadside check anytime soon.

To have a break from driving - driving must have taken place. Any break taken before driving occurs does not count.

Beau Nydel:

Just beacuse tacho resets - doesnt mean you are legal. What about POA? Tacho treats it as a break, yet you have to have proper breaks anyway.

xxmitaxx:

Beau Nydel:

Just beacuse tacho resets - doesnt mean you are legal. What about POA? Tacho treats it as a break, yet you have to have proper breaks anyway.

Only early digi tachos do that. It was changed for the uk market as we don’t recognise poa as break, while most of Europe does

OVLOV JAY:

xxmitaxx:

Beau Nydel:

Only early digi tachos do that. It was changed for the uk market as we don’t recognise poa as break, while most of Europe does

Last time I checked this was a UK forum :wink: for drivers from UK

A simple task and drivers still get it wrong shocking

xxmitaxx:

OVLOV JAY:

xxmitaxx:

Beau Nydel:

Last time I checked this was a UK forum :wink: for drivers from UK

Last time I checked Essex was in the uk, but you’re a uk driver, so you must know that

shep532:

Beau Nydel:

Whether the Tacho has cleared the counter or not, from what you describe you have broken the rules regarding breaks from driving.

Let’s hope you don’t end up in a roadside check anytime soon.

To have a break from driving - driving must have taken place. Any break taken before driving occurs does not count.

Shep is absolutely spot on in saying a driving must be recorded for your first 15 minutes to count as a driving break. It’s a basic regulation.

OVLOV JAY:

xxmitaxx:

I have a version 2 Siemens DTCO 1381 here that will reset the driving time after a POA or break or combination of both that reaches 45 minutes or more. If I have a 15m POA then drive, when I check my driving time it tells me my next break only needs to be 30m. If then have a 30m POA the driving time resets.

The later tachos changed how they record driving time - not how breaks or POA are recorded.

The way that POA and break reset the driving timer is laid down in the legislation. The Tacho manufacturers have to make it work that way - even though it is seemingly wrong. There aren’t any tacos made for the UK market - they are all the same with multi languages installed. If you think about it even slot 2 is on the wrong side for a right hand drive vehicle. Everything is for the European market.

I believe the latest version 2.2 still works the same.

Well my 62 plate scania and 64 plate Volvo don’t reset the driving if you use poa, I must be lucky and have driven the only 2 in the world. Wasted on me though, as I don’t use poa

OVLOV JAY:
Well my 62 plate scania and 64 plate Volvo don’t reset the driving if you use poa, I must be lucky and have driven the only 2 in the world. Wasted on me though, as I don’t use poa

The Scania is likely to be a Stoneridge Tacho but as far as I am aware the legislation says something like:

■■■■■■■■■■ break time is computed within the recording equipment as: The ■■■■■■■■■■ break from driving time is computed as the current accumulated AVAILABILITY or BREAK/REST or UNKNOWN times of 15 minutes or more of a particular driver, since the end of his last AVAILABILITY or BREAK/REST or UNKNOWN period of 45 minutes or more

I will admit this may have been amended since 2009 but this Tacho I have here works exactly as above and it is just about the latest version available.

Of course you have the best idea - don’t use POA :smiley:

OVLOV JAY:

That may be a clue why your driving time doesn’t get reset by POA :smiley: :wink:

Seriously though, as shep532 said the regulations (ANNEX I B - (EEC) No 3821/85) stipulate that:

continuous driving time’ is computed within the recording equipment as :
the continuous driving time is computed as the current accumulated
driving times of a particular driver, since the end of his last AVAILABILITY
or BREAK/REST or UNKNOWN period of 45 minutes or more

Having said that, regulation (EEC) 3821/85 has been repealed by (EU) No 165/2014 and I can’t find the same article in that document so it may have been amended in 2014, I’m not sure.

I don’t use poa, but found out my tacho doesn’t reset driving time after pressing the button twice by mistake then having to do a printout to explain the error, twice :blush:

OVLOV JAY:
I don’t use poa, but found out my tacho doesn’t reset driving time after pressing the button twice by mistake then having to do a printout to explain the error, twice :blush:

Good news if it doesn’t happen then.

I think Tachograph is along the right lines that there may have been an amendment to the regs but I can’t find it either.

I often have to wait a couple of hours for my load :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:
So,it’s card in,reverse onto bay (about 45 seconds of driving),and then at some point during those 2 hours of other work,I have a 15.
Never had a problem,but the “experts” at our place reckon that you have to drive at least (insert your own figure here) mins before you can have a 15…sad really :unamused: :unamused: