Tacho question.

I inserted my card at 0400 yesterday (Monday) did my normal work etc. At 16.53 I did a manual entry for end country, so far so good. Problem being at 18.40 I turned the ignition on to open the window and noticed that I’d neglected to alter the mode switch from other work to bed, I immediately changed it to bed, so again no problem as I was within my 15hr spread. My question is, did I actually go into a 15 or can I class that as 13hrs worked?

I’ve done a printout to try to clarify it in my mind but am none the wiser as it states I ended country at 16,53, however the activities bit states that from 16.45 until 18.40 I was engaged in other work.

So the question remains; have I or have I not taken a reduced break?

Hope it was worded clear enough.

Yes, reduced rest.
You haven’t broken any hours rules, you could only use an explanation on the back of print out if you had gone over 15hrs or had no more reduced rests left!
To stop it happening again, get the tacho changed to default to break when ignition is switched off!

No. You’re still within your 13 hours due to making a written record.
If you only do UK work, Then there’s no need to put the start and end country every day.

best practice is when you finish eject the card problem solved.

for the above instance do 2 printouts one for you one for the boss write the reason why mode selection changed ie turned on ignition … you should b ok as a one off if you get pulled but by noting it on a printout you can show you had taken the precaution … but as I said in future just eject your card and push it back in in the morning just don’t move the truck even though they could tell at what time the truck was moved.

I agree with nick2008, but if you don’t need/have three reduced daily rest periods before your next weekly rest you could save yourself the trouble of printouts and put it down as a reduced daily rest.

weeto:
To stop it happening again, get the tacho changed to default to break when ignition is switched off!

The problem with that is that you then have to remember to put the tachograph on other work every time you turn off the ignition unless you’re going onto a break/rest period.

weeto:
Yes, reduced rest.
You haven’t broken any hours rules, you could only use an explanation on the back of print out if you had gone over 15hrs or had no more reduced rests left!
To stop it happening again, remove the card at the end of your shift!

FTFY :wink:

VOSA dont like breaks flashing up for 5 and 10 minits. Just make habit of putting on rest before end country :unamused:

eezeer:
VOSA dont like breaks flashing up for 5 and 10 minits. Just make habit of putting on rest before end country :unamused:

Why wouldn’t they like something that’s perfectly legal?

weeto:

eezeer:

Because they’re not proper breaks and vosa will know this.

bald bloke:

weeto:

eezeer:

so, if you pull over to take a ■■■■, would you call that other work or POA if it is not a break?

shuttlespanker:

bald bloke:

weeto:

eezeer:

so, if you pull over to take a [zb], would you call that other work or POA if it is not a break?

Surely it’s other work as you have to use some bog roll to wipe your botty. :grimacing:

shuttlespanker:

bald bloke:

weeto:

eezeer:

so, if you pull over to take a [zb], would you call that other work or POA if it is not a break?

Break if you can get 15 mins in but putting it on break for 5 or 10 mins ain’t no good.

shuttlespanker:

breaks are 15 or 30 minutes :unamused: you not done dcpc then :smiling_imp: :laughing:

Breaks for the regulations must be at least 15 mins or more but anything less than 15 mins is still time on break

14 mins on break is not driving, other work or POA

You can have a break of 5 or 10 minutes, it won’t count as a driving break or a WTD break but it’s still a break.

The problem arises where people constantly forget/don’t bother to change the tachograph to other work when the ignition is switched off and you end up with a shift of driving and break with no other work shown.

10 to 20 short breaks and no other work is hard to believe and VOSA aren’t daft :wink:

eezeer:

shuttlespanker:

breaks are 15 or 30 minutes :unamused: you not done dcpc then :smiling_imp: :laughing:

I’m guessing you have, which goes some way to explaining your incorrect reply :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

Article 4 - (EC) 561/2006:
‘break’ means any period during which a driver may not
carry out any driving or any other work and which is
used exclusively for recuperation;

tachograph:
I’m guessing you have, which goes some way to explaining your incorrect reply :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

but a 5, 10 or 14 minute break counts as nothing for any regulation!!! only 15 or 30mn

Tbh my tacho does default to break when the ignition is switched off, but I get that used to pulling up somewhere, switching off and quickly pushing the mode button twice that I can only assume that this is what I did this time.

Not particularly a fan of doing 15’s but it really ■■■■■■ me off to book off on 13 end up doing 15 and not get paid for it. :smiley:

eezeer:

tachograph:

but a 5, 10 or 14 minute break counts as nothing for any regulation!!! only 15 or 30mn

I agree that any break of less than 15 minutes doesn’t count as a driving break or a WTD break but it’s still a break.

Look at it this way,if you’re sat in a canteen for 10 minutes you’re not doing any work so are not obliged to record it as other work, it’s certainly not POA unless you know in advance how long you will be waiting, it’s not rest because you can’t dispose of your time freely.

You’re sat in a canteen recuperating which is break, even though it won’t count as a driving/wtd break it also will not count towards your working time so it must be break because it doesn’t meet the criteria to be anything else.

I’ve no idea whether or not you was told on a DCPC course that anything less than 15 minutes is not break but if you was then you was misinformed :wink:

tachograph:
You’re sat in a canteen recuperating which is break, even though it won’t count as a driving/wtd break it also will not count towards your working time so it must be break because it doesn’t meet the criteria to be anything else.

I’ve no idea whether or not you was told on a DCPC course that anything less than 15 minutes is not break but if you was then you was misinformed :wink:

i understand what you say but what is the point of 5 or 10 minutes break if it doesnt count for driving/wtd :unamused: at the end of day 55 minutes minutes break will only be accepted as 45

eezeer:

tachograph:

i understand what you say but what is the point of 5 or 10 minutes break if it doesnt count for driving/wtd :unamused: at the end of day 55 minutes minutes break will only be accepted as 45

A break which is 55 mins in length will be regarded as a break of AT LEAST 45 mins and so will a break of 2 hours and 55 mins for example