tacho question

hi,my mate driving poole to aberdeen today,he says he going to run 10hrs driving in a 12hr day,no problem, then he said hes having 9hr off then start work monday morning,my question is,is this legal,i say no as you work off a 24hr period if he drives before he has 12hr off he is driving more than 10hrs in a 24 period,whos right cheers

Once he’s had a daily rest period his 24hr period restarts, so he’s right you’re wrong. :wink:

i would agree with you,but your tacho rules work off a 24hr cycle,if you do a 15hr day and have 11 off thats still only a9hr break,surely this must be the same,you work in 24hr cycles.

alf apsey:
i would agree with you,but your tacho rules work off a 24hr cycle,if you do a 15hr day and have 11 off thats still only a9hr break,surely this must be the same,you work in 24hr cycles.

No, your tacho rules work on the fact that you need 11 hours rest within your 24 hours.

So to simplify things, start at 11.00, drive 4, 1 hour break, drive 4, 1 hour break, drive 2, park up at 2300, at 8 am he had had a reduced rest period of 9 hours, at 10am he has had a complete rest.

You need a calculator because 15 and 11 make 26 :open_mouth:

You seem to be making the classic mistake of confusing duty times with rest times.

The rules state that you take an 11 (or 9) hour REST.
most people seem to read it as doing a 13 (or 15) hour Day

Once you have had your required REST, the 24hr period starts again.

So in answer to the OP question it would be legal

12 hour day with 10 hour drive.
9 hour rest (resetting the clock)

The new 24 hr period starts at the end of the daily rest period

I hope this makes sense

Wheel Nut:

alf apsey:

No, your tacho rules work on the fact that you need 11 hours rest within your 24 hours.

So to simplify things, start at 11.00, drive 4, 1 hour break, drive 4, 1 hour break, drive 2, park up at 2300, at 8 am he had had a reduced rest period of 9 hours, at 10am he has had a complete rest.

You need a calculator because 15 and 11 make 26 :shock:

i’d love to visit this world where a day has 26 hours in it :exclamation: :exclamation: :open_mouth: :laughing:

how do you get there :question: :question: as people from the other world seem to stumble into ours with relative ease without realising it sometimes :exclamation: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue: :laughing: :laughing:

ROG will be along shortly to ask for your hour by hour breakdown of other work and driving to confuse matters :exclamation: :sunglasses: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Cruise Control:

Wheel Nut:

alf apsey:

i’d love to visit this world where a day has 26 hours in it :exclamation: :exclamation: :open_mouth: :laughing:

Double time on a Sunday too, Lovely Jubbly :laughing:

Wheel Nut:

Cruise Control:

Wheel Nut:

alf apsey:

double time :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: blimey :exclamation: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: it’s different world in a galaxy far, far far far far far far far far away and then some.

and wonder if in that world you can also drive bobtail while only holding a class 2 licence :exclamation: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Cruise Control:

Wheel Nut:

Cruise Control:

Wheel Nut:

alf apsey:

double time :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: blimey :exclamation: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: it’s different world in a galaxy far, far far far far far far far far away and then some.

and wonder if in that world you can also drive bobtail while only holding a class 2 licence :exclamation: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Only if the passenger door is within 15’’ of the delivery notes :stuck_out_tongue:

alf apsey:
hi,my mate driving poole to aberdeen today,he says he going to run 10hrs driving in a 12hr day,no problem, then he said hes having 9hr off then start work monday morning,my question is,is this legal,i say no as you work off a 24hr period if he drives before he has 12hr off he is driving more than 10hrs in a 24 period,whos right cheers

Regulation EU 561/2006

Article 4
k) ‘daily driving time’ means the total accumulated driving time between the end of one daily rest period and the beginning of the following daily rest period or between a daily rest period and a weekly rest period;

Nothing about the daily driving time being in a 24 hour period - only between rest periods :wink: :slight_smile:

i think you’re getting confused. your duty time and rest period has to be within a 24 hour period eg. 15hr work and 9hr rest or 13hr work and 11hr rest =24 but 12hr work and 9hr rest =21 is still with a 24 hr period and so is legal

Its possible to have a 26 hr day, you need to cross the international date line, don’t know if its on way to Scotland though, you might need to check!

alf apsey:

why have a few jumped on this saying that he is talking about a 26 hour day ■■? !!!

He said that the driver did a 15 hour day then had 11 hours off BUT he also said thats only a 9 hour break which is correct :wink: :smiley:

I dunno, its their fault ^^

thank you for your replies,and cheers to the ones who understood it,not like the ones who cannot read properly and said i worked a 26 hr day 15 and 9 make 24

Just to confuse matters, you can have a 30 hour day if your double manned :slight_smile:

ROG:

alf apsey:

why have a few jumped on this saying that he is talking about a 26 hour day ■■? !!!

He said that the driver did a 15 hour day then had 11 hours off BUT he also said thats only a 9 hour break which is correct :wink: :smiley:

Quite so Rog, you’re right for once. :laughing:

What he’s saying is that because you worked 15 hrs, you then cannot posdsibly have more than 9 hrs rest. So, the 11 hrs taken, only counts as a 9.
26 hour day? pah. What planet you lot on? Zog?

So, (maybe applies more to international drivers) working on the OP’s friend’s theory, If you’re on your 6th card in 5 days, (OK trolley dollies, you can go back to sleep now) can you run a 7th card on the 6th day?
I’m thinking “no” because i think it says 6 shifts, not 6 days before a weekly rest?

I hope he’s being paid well. :cry:

Driveroneuk:
can you run a 7th card on the 6th day?
I’m thinking “no” because i think it says 6 shifts, not 6 days before a weekly rest?

YES you can

There is no limit to the amount of shifts shown on a digi or cards used between weekly rest periods.

2 rules: -
Weekly rest periods
Daily rest periods

Keep within the above 2 rules and the driver is legal

according to the simplified EU regulation ec25-601-32/69-er.

you may work a 12 hour day every day over an 8 day week and a 10 month year, when you have added this to three periodic leap years, this may be reduced when extended by a home office order, providing you have given 6 months notice before commencing any work paid or unpaid by the age of twelve. this will be interpreted by the french as they see fit.

simple really. :laughing: