tacho queries

anyone help me out? first,

driving a mix of analogue and digi trucks you need to keep charts and print outs.is this only if you mix your driving in the same day?or does it apply to say analogue one day,digi the next?

second,

i used a analogue tacho for the first time the other week.both times it didnt keep a record.it looked as if it tried to turn,as the centre field was a bit mangled.i pushed it down quite firmley to make sure it was on there.it this the way its done?or do you just rest it on the tray lightley.it seemed a funny fit.mabye i was given the wrong charts?any ideas anyone?cheers.

ten4rubberduckie:
driving a mix of analogue and digi trucks you need to keep charts and print outs.is this only if you mix your driving in the same day?or does it apply to say analogue one day,digi the next?

Applies to both
You keep them for at least 28 days
They must all be either downloaded or handed in before 42 days

ten4rubberduckie:
i used a analogue tacho for the first time the other week.both times it didnt keep a record.it looked as if it tried to turn,as the centre field was a bit mangled.i pushed it down quite firmley to make sure it was on there.it this the way its done?or do you just rest it on the tray lightley.it seemed a funny fit.mabye i was given the wrong charts?any ideas anyone?cheers.

Make a manual record.
Lightly but firmly is usually the way but it’s hard to give advice unless there seeing any problem 1st hand…

ten4rubberduckie:
riving a mix of analogue and digi trucks you need to keep charts and print outs.is this only if you mix your driving in the same day?or does it apply to say analogue one day,digi the next?

hi mate this may help

Mixed records — analogue and digital equipment
It is possible that a driver may during the course of a day drive two or more vehicles where both types of recording equipment are used. Drivers in such a situation must use a driver card to record while driving a vehicle with a digital tachograph and tachograph charts when driving a vehicle equipped with an analogue device. Time away from the vehicle may be recorded on either recording equipment, but there is no need to record it on both.

i get that delboy2,but i think what im asking is,do i need to make a print out for each day i drive a truck with a digi box,or do i just use my card? or do i only need to do a print out when ive done a mix of digi and analouge driving on the same day?

hi mate hope this helps

the only time a print out would be required if you need to show that you have run over you time or some thing that needs written on the printout so in normal operation’s no printout would be required

I drive a mixture of analogue and digi so I keep the analogue tacho’s and take a print out everyday I drive a digi. I keep them together in date order. As far as handing them in, same rule applies to both analogue and digi records i.e keep the last 28 days and hand in by 42 days as far as I’m aware.

With regard to your question about the analogue not recording. Sounds as if the chart wasn’t inserted correctly. Was it the type that drops down and you slot the chart in face up with a plastic flap? If so the chart needs to go under the plastic flap otherewise it will get stuck and mangle the centre field as you describe. You can create a manual record for these days where the problem occurred.

cheers :slight_smile:

MAT:
I drive a mixture of analogue and digi so I keep the analogue tacho’s and take a print out everyday I drive a digi. I keep them together in date order. As far as handing them in, same rule applies to both analogue and digi records i.e keep the last 28 days and hand in by 42 days as far as I’m aware.

Why do you do a print out from the digi every day when it is not required for legal purposes?

just got that post mat! the tacho was a slide out tray,with the chart facing up.with a electric display(i think thats what you call it).

regards the print outs,ive just talked to vosa and they tell me,there is no need to make or keep a print out when you mix your driving as it is all stored on the card.i have also heard to otherwise,but thats the latest imfo from the horses mouth! he said print outs are just for time breachs,unfore seen events,stuff like that.rules change i suppose…

I keep printouts for practical reasons more than anything as I do agency work for different companies / agencies. If I worked for the same firm all of the time, I wouldn’t bother.

Last month for example I worked for two different agencies for two different firms driving a mixture of analogue and digi, often on the same day. If I were to get pulled by VOSA then matching my analogue charts with the digi card would be pain without the printouts. Some firms don’t always take a download off my card as well so it makes sense to keep a record to hand. Also, it helps me keep my own working time directive records more easily as I don’t work regular shift patterns and as I have the printout, I always know my exact hours - driving, breaks POA etc.

On the anaologue chart problem, similar thing happened to me a few weeks ago, just make sure it’s slotted under the flap and it should be ok.

of course,without print outs print out you wouldnt know what hours you have worked.i take it your reffering to the reference period involving working time regs.im a new driver and all these regs are driving me insane! i wanted to drive a lorry for a living,not become a [zb] mathematician!

this plastic flap on the tacho,is it the size of the chart? does it have to be pulled up to allow the chart in?

Thats exactly right. I’ve created a spreadsheet where I keep a record of both my driving hours and work hours including breaks and POA so that I can apply a reference period for WTD. I think the regulations are unnecessarily complex but I suppose it keeps the suits in Europe in a job. Either way, it’s down to us to be compliant.

On the tacho, you pull out the draw so it drops down then place your chart face up over the cam in the centre. At the top left of the draw there is a small transparent plastic flap which the chart needs to slide under, that way it can revolve freely throughout your day. There is another flap that is the size of the chart, you open this to insert a second chart when double manning which records as POA for the other driver whilst he’s (or she’s) a passenger.

cheers mat.your a good un! i’ll give that a go next time im out there.

cheers guys :smiley:

Analogue tacho insert videos

hope these help

Inserting digi tacho

OTHER RELATED VIDEOS ON YOUTUBE

thats great rog! thanks! i wouldnt have thought to look on utube :smiley:

ten4rubberduckie:
just got that post mat! the tacho was a slide out tray,with the chart facing up.with a electric display(i think thats what you call it).

regards the print outs,ive just talked to vosa and they tell me,there is no need to make or keep a print out when you mix your driving as it is all stored on the card.i have also heard to otherwise,but thats the latest imfo from the horses mouth! he said print outs are just for time breachs,unfore seen events,stuff like that.rules change i suppose…

That is how it has always been, there is no need to do a printout, daily weekly or monthly, all the information on a printout can be read from the screen anyway.

MAT:
Some firms don’t always take a download off my card as well so it makes sense to keep a record to hand. Also, it helps me keep my own working time directive records more easily as I don’t work regular shift patterns and as I have the printout, I always know my exact hours - driving, breaks POA etc.

So, it is these firms that are failing to keep driver records as stipulated on their Operator Licence.

Care to name them? :unamused:

I wouldn’t want to bite the hand that feeds :exclamation:

In some cases it’s a case of “the card reader’s not working” so they want a photcopy of your printout (like they do with analogue charts) and in others I think there’s a lack of understanding in terms of process, especially with agency drivers like myself that come and go so they just don’t ask for a download. Doesn’t the digital tachograph keep records in it’s own memory anyway :question:

For me, I just like to keep a hard copy record for the last 28 days, that way I know where I am :wink:

i dont know how to ‘quote’.to wheel nut:regards print outs you get mixed imformation.in vosa book it says you need prints for all mixed driving shifts.i was also told this on my cpc course.but now im told you dont need them.even vosa have told me that now.rules change.another example ive come across since ive been training:you can take 3 reduced dailey rest peroids i was taught,also it says this in vosa book(09).now im told its changed to 2 reduced peroids.hard to keep up!