Tacho: Is this right? Sounds fishy to me

Last week did two days on 7.5t. Drivers mate first day, drove 2 hours second day.
The driver, lovely Bulgarian bloke, no really, took control of my card and swapped em around and manual inputted as needed. He did it while I was out of the cab. Not bothered really. Although I would have liked to get some hands on he knew what he was doing and was done far quicker than I would have been.
End of shift I swept out the back and he handed me my card when I was done. No probs so far.
End of shift was 28th at 15:30

Now this next bit is where I am a bit concerned…
Today, doing a week on 7.5 on me own.
Hopped in the cab, looked at tacho, thought, I have to manual entry from shift end last week, to shift start today, with Other work from 06:00 (Now 11:30)
Called TM over just to check what I was doing was right.
He kinda took over.
Said " I don´t bother with manual entries"
Pushed the card in, Clicky click click “There you go, all done”.
I went out and did the driving, about 2:45 in total. Didn´t take a break, job and finish :slight_smile:
Ok, as soon as I pulled up at the base yard my shift was done.
I did what he told me to do, press eject take your card. I managed to, somehow, do a print out. I didn´t mean to, just happened.

So, is he right? am I ok with that?
I´m back in the wagon tomorrow and for the rest of the week.
Should I do anything different to yes yes yes drive?

Thanks

If you started at 0600 you needed to do a manual entry stating other work from 0600 to 11.30. But bare in mind you’d also need a 15 minute break very shortly because your 6 hours WTD will be up at 12.00 (midday)

Every minute you work needs to be recorded either directly by the tacho when your card is in, or by manual entry when you insert your card.

Yep, yep, I can see that. But the TM didn´t give me a chance to do an entry. Just went Clicky click clik, job´s done off you go and drive. No entry from 06:00, as far as tcho was concerned I´d turned up and started right now, and ■■■■ the last shift you were on.

Has he screwed me up somehow?

Don’t ever let anyone else input or have control of your card as you could end up with anything on there. Head over to YouTube and watch some videos on tacho, there’s plenty on there.

steviespain:
Yep, yep, I can see that. But the TM didn´t give me a chance to do an entry. Just went Clicky click clik, job´s done off you go and drive. No entry from 06:00, as far as tcho was concerned I´d turned up and started right now, and [zb] the last shift you were on.

He’s not screwed you up, he’s totally screwed you up if stopped!

You have no way to match time sheet hours to tacho

Can’t do anything about it now but for future ref, DO NOT EVER let anyone take control of YOUR card no matter what!

5+ hrs is a lot to have unaccounted for.

Bollox to what anyone else says they do, do it right your way and keep legal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peterboroughmatt:
Don’t ever let anyone else input or have control of your card as you could end up with anything on there. Head over to YouTube and watch some videos on tacho, there’s plenty on there.

Yes mate, been there, watched em, got em bookmarked. Gonna head there again just before I leave for the bus tomorrow. Thanks :slight_smile:

I find it very strange that I can get a CPC, a Tachocard, and just because I´m an old ■■■■ can just scoot off into the wild blue yonder, in a 7.5t, without knowing how the ■■■■ everything works!

Thanks HOP, Peter, and dc.
I shall regain control of my destiny tomorrow morning :slight_smile:

Better go to bed, up in 6 hours.

ta fellas.

dcgpx:

steviespain:
Yep, yep, I can see that. But the TM didn´t give me a chance to do an entry. Just went Clicky click clik, job´s done off you go and drive. No entry from 06:00, as far as tcho was concerned I´d turned up and started right now, and [zb] the last shift you were on.

Can’t do anything about it now but for future ref, DO NOT EVER let anyone take control of YOUR card no matter what!

Out of interest - how much interaction have you had with the DVSA/VOSA?

I’ve been stopped a couple of times and had my tacho checked. And never have they shown the slightest inclination of interest about my lack of manual entries. To my knowledge, they have not raided company offices looking for timesheets to check when I started either.

Lots of drivers don’t do manual entries, I’ve never understood why but for some reason they choose not to.

If you get stopped at a road-side check just don’t tell anyone that you was at work for several hours before inserting the driver card, the likelihood is that no-one will ask anyway.

Having said that, I would always advise people to do manual entries simply because it takes less than a minute, it keeps you legal, and when you need to do a manual entry you’ll know instinctively how to do it.

Like it or not the tachograph is one of the tools of your chosen trade so you might as well learn to use it properly.

Yeaahh, I´m up for doing the manual entries, I know that they are important.
I don´t want to get into trouble for what someone else has done.

Tomorrow, me, manual entry, job done.
Get yer hands of [zb]'s.

Thanks all :slight_smile:

this is a perfect example of the new breed wetting their pants at the thought of the slightest infringement and the ensuing firing squad execution by the vostapo.
theres absolutely no need to do a manual entry unless it particulary suits you to do so for your own reason,not just for the sake of being a over zealous goody 2 shoes.
if i do one,which is rare,then its to cover up tipping/loading off card or some other form of naughtyness and the story is just for appearances sake and a load of pish.
why be bothered doing something your not required to do other than the more you write,the more there is to be caught out for.

sammym:

dcgpx:

steviespain:

Out of interest - how much interaction have you had with the DVSA/VOSA?

I’ve been stopped a couple of times and had my tacho checked. And never have they shown the slightest inclination of interest about my lack of manual entries. To my knowledge, they have not raided company offices looking for timesheets to check when I started either.

Enough to know how a simple slip of the tongue can land you in it

As Tacho has said keep stumm about start times and it will not than likely not come to light.

However if they are over zealous they might notice a glitch in start times and if explanation not good enough could dig deeper.

Point is by keeping control of card and doing manual entries that wouldn’t happen as it’s all above board

If you or anyone else can’t be bothered doing entries then that’s your call. Don’t cry if you get caught out though

If your are running straight why not do them? Yes might get away with it on a roadside check but worst case if you are in an accident and they start checking you don’t want creating a false record added to the mix

kcrussell25:
If your are running straight why not do them? Yes might get away with it on a roadside check but worst case if you are in an accident and they start checking you don’t want creating a false record added to the mix

What percentage of drivers do you think actually do them?

How many accidents do you think there is a year?

This often trouted line ‘if there was an accident’ is obviously total nonsense. People use it to justify their own ■■■■ behaviour. If they were checked after an accident we’d hear about it daily. But you don’t.

What’s more - transport companies would insist that you do them. They would not want the accusation that there drivers are running bent. I’ve not been to a single company via agency where it’s even been mentioned. And that includes the big ‘blue chips’.

Then don’t do them if you can’t be bothered running legal

See, this is exactly what I mean. Some people are saying no need for manuals, some people are saying yes there is. I understand about the traceability of entries, matched against time sheets etc, is this stuff only checked if you have an accident?
Or is it all electronic data that DVSA can pull out of the ether at a roadside stop? I just don´t know.

This is why operating a tachograph should be a requirement of part of the first CPC you do. AND included for us old effers who are getting back into it after 85 years off the job.
And don´t get me started on the stupid 1980s menu FFS! Looks like it was designed by Stevie Wonder! (Who I think is an AWESOME musician, btw)

And
I think I screwed up today. I´ll let you know.

Hang on, who´s going to tell me I screwed up, if I did? TM? DVSA? Is it a requirement to download my tacho into the office every day at end of shift?
■■■■■ sake, I dunno. ■■■■■■■ stupid ■■■■■■■ things COULD be a whole lot easier if they weren´t designed by non ■■■■■■ drivers!

steviespain:
Hang on, who´s going to tell me I screwed up, if I did? TM? DVSA? Is it a requirement to download my tacho into the office every day at end of shift?
[zb] sake, I dunno. [zb] stupid [zb] things COULD be a whole lot easier if they weren´t designed by non [zb] drivers!

No.

Some places ask you too. Unless it flags an infringement no one will be interested in the slightest.

steviespain:
See, this is exactly what I mean. Some people are saying no need for manuals, some people are saying yes there is. I understand about the traceability of entries, matched against time sheets etc, is this stuff only checked if you have an accident?
Or is it all electronic data that DVSA can pull out of the ether at a roadside stop? I just don´t know.

This is why operating a tachograph should be a requirement of part of the first CPC you do. AND included for us old effers who are getting back into it after 85 years off the job.
And don´t get me started on the stupid 1980s menu FFS! Looks like it was designed by Stevie Wonder! (Who I think is an AWESOME musician, btw)

And
I think I screwed up today. I´ll let you know.

In the land of the internet by blokes who have never had any interaction with DVSA/VOSA it is… In the real world no one cares -, especially DVSA.

The same blokes who claim it matters will post crap on facebook about someone going past them downhill at over 56 mph and say rubbish like ‘wait til he gets pulled by vosa for an overspeed’. Total jokers.

delete foursquare account

As you can see - I’m currently living in fear from the knock from the door.

steviespain:

Legally you’re required to manually enter any work you do away from the vehicle I.e. work done before inserting the driver card and work done after ejecting the driver card.

There is a fixed penalty for not doing legally required manual entries, I can’t remember how much it is but when I’m on the computer again I’ll look it up for you.

As I said before a lot of drivers don’t bother, but if you don’t manually record work done before or after getting a vehicle don’t start telling the DVSA about it.

Personally I’ve never seen any reason not to do manual entries but It’s really your choice, as long as you don’t start talking to the DVSA about it the chance of getting caught is not great.

I’ve no idea why anyone would think doing manual entries is ■■■■ but that’s the sort of [zb] that gets posted sometimes.

For the record there have been cases where drivers have got caught when a DVSA audit has been done on companies, but to be fair it’s not a common occurrence, I suppose the risk is greater if you have a serious accident or if you regularly work for dodgy companies who are the most likely to get visited by the DVSA.

I don’t know why the subject of manual entries gets people on both sides worked up but it always seems to :smiley:

Anyway, now you know the facts, well as l see them anyway, you can make your own decision.

Sent from my mobile.