Tacho Infringement.....or not? Opinions Please!

I’m normally ok with this stuff, just plodding on and never really getting it wrong.

So, I was somewhat surprised to get a call into the office for an infringement of insufficient break, drive time 4 hours 44 minutes!

Now I’m pretty ‘belt and braces’ and felt sure I had not done this so did a print out for the day in question which appeared to back up my understanding of the rules. Apparently not it would seem and have now had the error of my ways indicated to me!

Its all a bit of fuss about nothing I know but I do like to get things right.

Attached is an image of said print out and I would value opinions and comments as to what the infringement appeared to be?

You have had a 15 min break with no drive time shown if you had done 1 min drive brfore your 15 min break you would be ok :unamused:
100% infringment school boy error :laughing: :laughing:

tango boy:
You have had a 15 min break with no drive time shown if you had done 1 min drive brfore your 15 min break you would be ok :unamused:

+1

tango boy:

Exactly this ^^^^

Don’t worry about it, it’s a mix up on your behalf, and you clearly weren’t trying to take the ■■■■, if pulled I doubt the DVSA would do anymore than tick you off.

What IS bad though is that your employers just shoved an infringement under your nose and told you to sign it, without taking the time to properly explain WHAT you did wrong and HOW you can avoid it later!! Thats bad on their behalf.

As above, you cannot have a driving break if you haven’t done any driving.

In all fairness it never occurred to me - it was a sequence of events that would probably never be replicated. Parked up the night before in a quiet spot in the yard, next morning checks done etc but load not ready, no need to move the truck as its in a quiet spot blah blah! Cleaned the cab, sorted me straps and generally busied myself for a while, nipped for a brew in the canteen and flipped the tacho to break while I was away. Unbelievable but true and indeed a schoolboy error!!!

andy288*:
In all fairness it never occurred to me - it was a sequence of events that would probably never be replicated. Parked up the night before in a quiet spot in the yard, next morning checks done etc but load not ready, no need to move the truck as its in a quiet spot blah blah! Cleaned the cab, sorted me straps and generally busied myself for a while, nipped for a brew in the canteen and flipped the tacho to break while I was away. Unbelievable but true and indeed a schoolboy error!!!

You know the error . Next time move the truck ,
Your welcome :wink:

The way it works OP is you should’ve worked even harder at the beginning to be legal…

…instead of sitting on your backside snoozing, get up, move the wagon for a second then have a rest and it’s all gravy. I love the logic of law sometimes :laughing: :unamused:

James the cat:
The way it works OP is you should’ve worked even harder at the beginning to be legal…

…instead of sitting on your backside snoozing, get up, move the wagon for a second then have a rest and it’s all gravy. I love the logic of law sometimes :laughing: :unamused:

Get up move the wagon for 30 seconds, or it wont register :wink:

Thing is though, your tacho obviously didn’t flash you to warn you that you needed a break sometime about 14.17 on utc or 3.15pm in the real world, which would’ve roughly been when you reached 4.15hr driving, that’s because your tacho had incorrectly accepted that 15 minutes as a break.

I had a similar situation with insufficient daily rest a while back, because one day I’d done 11 & half hours duty, but had 10 hrs rest that night so this was a short rest, but it appears the tacho registered it as a long rest because in the 24 hrs 0000 to 0000 I’d had 12 & half off. On the Friday, looking to see if I had a 15 hrs day left as traffic and time were conspiring against me, I scrolled through the info board in the dash (65 plate scania) which has a screen that tells me what time I must commence my daily rest period, and whether a 9 or 11 hr rest is required. Bingo it says I got til 1900, when in fact I only had til 1700, back in the yard by 515pm then I’m cocking about for another 20 mins or so. When I put the card in the down loader it flags up insufficient rest, I’m thinking never, partly because I pride Myself on being on top of this and partly because if you are about to do an infringement the Tacho starts flashing at you as a warning and a big T lights up the info panel, so I look through My diary and realise what I’ve done, just wished I’d checked My diary and not relied on the bloody technology, Oh well ■■■■ happens :unamused:

Another driver getting confused between break and rest

OVLOV JAY:

Who the op?

eddie snax:

James the cat:

Get up move the wagon for 30 seconds, or it wont register :wink:

Thing is though, your tacho obviously didn’t flash you to warn you that you needed a break sometime about 14.17 on utc or 3.15pm in the real world, which would’ve roughly been when you reached 4.15hr driving, that’s because your tacho had incorrectly accepted that 15 minutes as a break.

I had a similar situation with insufficient daily rest a while back, because one day I’d done 11 & half hours duty, but had 10 hrs rest that night so this was a short rest, but it appears the tacho registered it as a long rest because in the 24 hrs 0000 to 0000 I’d had 12 & half off. On the Friday, looking to see if I had a 15 hrs day left as traffic and time were conspiring against me, I scrolled through the info board in the dash (65 plate scania) which has a screen that tells me what time I must commence my daily rest period, and whether a 9 or 11 hr rest is required. Bingo it says I got til 1900, when in fact I only had til 1700, back in the yard by 515pm then I’m cocking about for another 20 mins or so. When I put the card in the down loader it flags up insufficient rest, I’m thinking never, partly because I pride Myself on being on top of this and partly because if you are about to do an infringement the Tacho starts flashing at you as a warning and a big T lights up the info panel, so I look through My diary and realise what I’ve done, just wished I’d checked My diary and not relied on the bloody technology, Oh well [zb] happens :unamused:

Thats the bit which is the most annoying of all. Under normal circumstances it flashes like a christmas tree as 4h 15m and quite rightly so but as you say it accepted the break even though it was of course incorrect. Lesson learned!

andy288*:
[
Thats the bit which is the most annoying of all. Under normal circumstances it flashes like a christmas tree as 4h 15m and quite rightly so but as you say it accepted the break even though it was of course incorrect. Lesson learned!

I’m not shouting it loudly though, as CF might see and throw a party, and bore us to death about the benefits of log books, and how all tech should be burnt as the devils work :wink:

stevieboy308:

OVLOV JAY:

Who the op?

Yes. Schoolboy error not knowing the difference. To have a break from driving, you need to actually drive the thing first.

I always have a hour , just feels like you’ve had a break

I

I think that the only real crime here is the nine & a quarter hour day [emoji15]
(That’s part time at our place [emoji57])

Got any jobs going ?

martinviking:
I think that the only real crime here is the nine & a quarter hour day [emoji15]
(That’s part time at our place [emoji57])

Got any jobs going ?

That’ll be 15 minutes o/t for me .

OVLOV JAY:

stevieboy308:

OVLOV JAY:

Who the op?

Yes. Schoolboy error not knowing the difference. To have a break from driving, you need to actually drive the thing first.

Whilst you’re right on that, you’re not on the break / rest confusion. He still took a break and it will count for a WTD break

Just to be on the safe side of pernickety t/m’s or VOSA come to that, I always have breaks of at least 16, 31, or 46 minutes.