Tacho, a question for you

Is there a infringement on there?

Driving: 6:45
Work: 1:20
Rest: 5:53
POA: 31min

Reason why I ask. I was driving back when I noticed I needed a WTD break to refresh the 6 hour mark which was at 16:36pm
(16 min) and then I set off as I was running very low on time. This didn’t show up on the tacho that I had taken a 16 min break. It was only showing the POA time.

what do * mean?

Not sure myself what the * are referring to.

Can’t see any cause for concerns on infringements either.

You didn’t really need the last break either for WTD, unless you thought it was a struggle to get back, Sod’s law if you didn’t take it you would of gone over!!

There’s no infringement there you didn’t even need that last break till 19.07 and by then you’d have been parked up anyway.

Boo9729:
Not sure myself what the * are referring to.

Can’t see any cause for concerns on infringements either.

You didn’t really need the last break either for WTD, unless you thought it was a struggle to get back, Sod’s law if you didn’t take it you would of gone over!!

that’s why I had taken it lol

■■■■ today from start to finish

• usually show on mine to let me know ive been on rest/break for more than an hour ? but don’t know if this is the purpose of them ? some body once told me the the office can set this to let them know at a glance if your taking more break than entitled ? but that could be bullocks aswell…

bald bloke:
There’s no infringement there you didn’t even need that last break till 19.07 and by then you’d have been parked up anyway.

I don’t really put my hopes on POA as a break. I used POA for an hour and half one day. I downloaded the card and got told that I have an infringement due to lack of breaks! even though tacho had shown a 45 minute break

I can’t see any infringements there.

The stars show breaks of one hour or more, something to do with the old regulations which in some ways the tachograph still relates to :unamused:

As has been said you didn’t need thee last 16 minute break and taking the POA into account had 29 minutes to spare without that break.

The reason the tachograph never showed the last 16 minute break is because it wrongly counts POA as break, and as you’d had 31 minutes of POA since the last break the 16 minute break would have reset the driving time, hence no breaks showing.

mickyblue:

Is there a infringement on there?

Driving: 6:45
Work: 1:20
Rest: 5:53
POA: 31min

Reason why I ask. I was driving back when I noticed I needed a WTD break to refresh the 6 hour mark which was at 16:36pm
(16 min) and then I set off as I was running very low on time. This didn’t show up on the tacho that I had taken a 16 min break. It was only showing the POA time.

what do * mean?

the print out does show that you didn’t take 10mins or so to do your daily checks ? tut tut tut…lol

Full daily rest (split 3+9) taken as well

ROG:

You know what time he started the next shift then ? :wink:

tachograph:

ROG:

You know what time he started the next shift then ? :wink:

Well, if it was not at least 9 hours after finishing that one then he is in the ■■■ !!

The * means that you have had more than sixty minutes continous break.

The infringement commited is not showing 15 minutes pre journey vehicle checks at the start of your shift. You are showing three cross hammers/other work of 10 minutes and two drives of 4 minutes from 03.59 before setting off at 04.13.
At the end of the shift, you have stopped driving at 1828 and pulled the card out and not showing other work i.e. any paperwork, checks.

Agree with Bald Bloke about not needing a break until 19.07 because by then you will be over 15 hours.

beanie:

The infringement commited is not showing 15 minutes pre journey vehicle checks at the start of your shift. You are showing three cross hammers/other work of 10 minutes and two drives of 4 minutes from 03.59 before setting off at 04.13.
At the end of the shift, you have stopped driving at 1828 and pulled the card out and not showing other work i.e. any paperwork, checks.

Agree with Bald Bloke about not needing a break until 19.07 because by then you will be over 15 hours.

Hang on, really. if I don’t show a 15 on the card then I am buggered without lube?

I always start a walk around before I get in the vehicle but I fail to show this on the card. Cheers for that I will now start showing it.

beanie:

Is it best to leave it for 15 minutes and then pull it, or pull it and then do a entry first thing in the morning.

mickyblue:

beanie:

Hang on, really. if I don’t show a 15 on the card then I am buggered without lube?

I always start a walk around before I get in the vehicle but I fail to show this on the card. Cheers for that I will now start showing it.

No your not. there is no legal requirment to show you have done a walk round, and if you do want to show one it does not have to be shown at the very start of duty, the other work shown starting at 04:06 could cover your walkround, there is also nothing in writing saying it has to be 15 mins either, we do 5 mins only!

A 15 minute vehicle check is not legally required at the start of the shift, it’s not particularly good practice not to show time for vehicle checks but not an infringement either.

Nor is any time legally required to show at the end of the shift for paperwork ec’t, you’re perfectly entitled to jump out of the vehicle and go home if that’s OK with your boss.

mickyblue:
I always start a walk around before I get in the vehicle but I fail to show this on the card.

This on the other hand is an admission that you do not record working time, which is an offence and a fixed penalty fine would come your way if you was daft enough to tell a VOSA bod what you do.

Thanks for the info gents. I think i need to change how i work.

mickyblue:
Thanks for the info gents. I think i need to change how i work.

There is nothing wrong with how you’re working. This to me is one of my biggest bug bears about European transport, that drivers are worried and doing things purely for an electronic machine and not what’s best for them within the law. You’re not breaking the law so don’t worry about it, you’re the captain of your ship, your Siemens tacho unit is not. (or whatever make it is). If you want to show 15 minutes of crossed hammers for your daily inspections that’s entirely up to you, if you want to show 30 minutes, or 3 minutes, its also up to you. If you have your own truck and no one else drives it, I really don’t know what any one would realistically be checking for 15 minutes every day that can’t be done in 3 or 5 minutes. Like most drivers, you probably keep an eye on your truck at all times, when fueling up you’re looking at stuff, when tipping and loading, you’re looking at stuff, actually showing 15 minutes per day at the start of a shift for a truck you drive 5 or 6 days a week, every week is complete over kill. But its up to you, the driver, not the tacho unit, not vosa and not idiots in RDC waiting rooms who preach laws that don’t exist.

The only thing I would say is that never admit to doing any sort of work to an enforcement officer while not showing it on your tacho, we as drivers live in the real world, but its their job to enforce and prosecute paper based regulation that in no way reflects that real world. All I’d do in the morning when I roll out of bed would be to put it on crossed hammers, fire her up, walk around and check the basics such as lights, 5th wheel, back doors etc, get back in, make sure my satnav is set and such like and by that time you’ve easily logged 5 minutes or more any way. That way on the very remote chance you get inspected and they do find something wrong, you can show you’ve made an effort to check things by having some time as crossed hammers, whereas just driving off straight away from a rest period means you’re admitting making no effort to check at all. But it certainly does not have to be 15 minutes, or 10 minutes, or 5 minutes, its whatever you want to do and think is appropriate for your own circumstances.

There is no need to show other work at the end of your shift as this will usually get covered when you next insert your card and do a manual entry for the end of last shift. Say you yank your card at 16:52 and clock out at 17:00, the manual entry for that 8 minutes can cover your paper work and debrief with traffic etc etc.

And * is for a break of over 1 hour. Under old regulations you could have a 9 hour rest and three 1 hour rests for a total of 12 hours. The stars indicated that the break was long enough to count. The new law is now a 3 and a 9.

mickyblue:
I always start a walk around before I get in the vehicle but I fail to show this on the card.

How do you check your lights are working without switching them on? How do you check for excessive engine smoke without switching the engine on? How do you check for air leaks without building the air up?

Doesn’t sound like much of a walk around to me.

You do know you’re not supposed to be just walking around, right? :laughing: