Tablet computers - future of in cab entertainment?

Hi I’m new.

Just wondered if anyone on here, like me, has got into the iPad age?

There seems to be an app for everything now and if you are stuck in your cab for a few days, a 3G connection lets you watch telly, listen to music etc, etc all for £27.50 a month. Well that’s what my wife got my iPad for from Vodafone for on a contract. I own it in 2 years.

Trucking, Roadway and Commercial Vehicle Engineer all have free apps on the Apple Newsstand so I can also download those magazine issues - you have to pay thru iTunes in the apps to see the mags - to read if I want to. But you can get some of the national news papers and lots more.

Works for me !!

I just bought the wife an iRon. :wink:

Funny that, I got mine one too last Christmas. Guess who spent the most time playing with their prezzy?

Your man wahst his face has got one, siwtchluke

Harry Monk:
I just bought the wife an iRon. :wink:

took me a minute :slight_smile:
my mrs doesn’t like hers because its not wireless.

but to the op, i just got the new iphone 4s. i’m rubbish with gadgets, but think it is an amazing bit of kit!

I finally relented an bought an iPad, (not part of a contract, just because clients were getting them & I needed to know what I was talking about), & I have to admit that they do what they do very well. Internet connection, either through wifi, 3(4)g or tethered to a mobile, works very well & even streaming isn’t bad. Loads of fairly cheap apps mean I’ve always got entertainment during those dull moments. Only complaint is the price of the hardware itself - £500 for the base wifi/3(4)g model, then another £30 for a protective case is taking the p*** but if they can get away with it and still produce the goods then fair-do’s to them. I won’t be buying the iPad 4 though…

For any of you lads with an iPad or iPhone, if you like listening to the radio but lose your favourite station when you leave your local area or leave an area you normally listen to it in, then i recommend you get an app called “tunein radio”, no matter what you want to listen to, you will find it on that app, its free and my fav app

selby newcomer:
For any of you lads with an iPad or iPhone, if you like listening to the radio but lose your favourite station when you leave your local area or leave an area you normally listen to it in, then i recommend you get an app called “tunein radio”, no matter what you want to listen to, you will find it on that app, its free and my fav app

really! thats handy, i’ll go and get that now.
you could have started something here, we could do with an " app" thread.

tallyman:
I finally relented an bought an iPad, (not part of a contract, just because clients were getting them & I needed to know what I was talking about), & I have to admit that they do what they do very well. Internet connection, either through wifi, 3(4)g or tethered to a mobile, works very well & even streaming isn’t bad. Loads of fairly cheap apps mean I’ve always got entertainment during those dull moments. Only complaint is the price of the hardware itself - £500 for the base wifi/3(4)g model, then another £30 for a protective case is taking the p*** but if they can get away with it and still produce the goods then fair-do’s to them. I won’t be buying the iPad 4 though…

You will not be able to use the 4g capability however as the UK 4g network and USA 4g network are different and of course being an American product it only works with theirs. Apple have recently removed the 4g bumph from the latest English packaging and adverts.
That said they are a great bit of kit.

Just watch with the “Tune in radio”
Yes the app maybe free (altho I think I paid £1 odds for it ) but it will be using your data allowance and needs a 3G area !
That said it is a very good thing I use regular , You can listen to radio stations all over the world with it !

NickW:

tallyman:

You will not be able to use the 4g capability however as the UK 4g network and USA 4g network are different and of course being an American product it only works with theirs. Apple have recently removed the 4g bumph from the latest English packaging and adverts.

The uk hasn’t got 4g coverage yet, the licences are up for tender next year, but orange/t-mobile are pushing for sooner as they are ready to launch 4g now. 3G in the uk is running at maximum and can’t handle any more traffic and needs 4g ASAP.

i think i seen a guy using a i pad as a sat nav but i could be wrong

Yep, got an iPad 2 and a 3 SIM card in a Huawei wireless router… It works pretty much everywhere I go, and like the OP says, you can watch TV wherever you what, (although I tend to watch the BBC iPlayer, or read newspapers… Well, when I’m not sleeping!

There are some services describing themselves as 4g, LTE and WiMAXMAN but they aren’t true 4g. It’s the same in Australia, they have a 4g network that is incompatible,they say the UK’s will be too.

scotstrucker:

Yeah, you can use it as a sat nav, do everything with them near enough. I got one for Xmas last year, didn’t really want it, but now my laptop is redundant, so handy they are.

NickW:

tallyman:

That’s why the ‘4’ was in brackets…

selby newcomer:

NickW:

tallyman:

The uk hasn’t got 4g coverage yet, the licences are up for tender next year, but orange/t-mobile are pushing for sooner as they are ready to launch 4g now. 3G in the uk is running at maximum and can’t handle any more traffic and needs 4g ASAP.

Even when 4g comes to the UK it will be on a different frequency so the iPad still won’t be able to use it… Just like DAB & DAB+, the UK get it wrong again.

selby newcomer:

scotstrucker:

Yeah, you can use it as a sat nav, do everything with them near enough. I got one for Xmas last year, didn’t really want it, but now my laptop is redundant, so handy they are.

is it any good as a sat nav?

scotstrucker:

It comes with GoogleMaps as standard & TomTom, amongst many others, has an app for it.

Before everyone ditches their laptops & goes out to buy an iPad, there are a few issues that are a real pain. Firstly, printing from them is a very hit & miss affair - they will print to some printers directly & if you have the Apple ‘air’ thingy on your network then they can use that, but the system is very flakey. The Office apps, if you do a lot of office work, are rubbish compared to even Wordpad - there are a number of ‘cloud’ apps, but even the paid-for office apps aren’t up to much and are no use for general productivity. The other biggy is the lack of storage - you’re limited to what you originally purchase & even 64Gb doesn’t go far unless you want to keep adding/removing stuff, they rely on the cloud & this isn’t always good enough, especially for mobile use. Oh, and you also have to install iTunes, which is a horribly invasive piece of software…

By the way, the ‘Trust’ branded iPad kit is well worth buying (I got mine half-price at Maplins), gives you a spare mains charger, 12/24v mobile charger & spare USB/PC/charger lead.