Tablet computers - future of in cab entertainment?

scotstrucker:
is it any good as a sat nav?

They take up a lot of windscreen space…

scotstrucker:

selby newcomer:

scotstrucker:
i think i seen a guy using a i pad as a sat nav but i could be wrong

Yeah, you can use it as a sat nav, do everything with them near enough. I got one for Xmas last year, didn’t really want it, but now my laptop is redundant, so handy they are.

Ain’t got a clue mate, bit too big to have in the windscreen for me. I use my Tom Tom, I just knew it could be used as a sat nav, but never tried it. Ive used my iPhone as a sat nav, an app called “nav free” and find that pretty good.

EastAnglianTrucker:

scotstrucker:

They take up a lot of windscreen space…

You can actually get car mounts for the iPad (http://www.amazon.co.uk/iPad-Windscreen-Dashboard-Holder-Cradle/sim/B0043DMXYQ/2), but the general feedback is that they are too heavy for most of them, & I rather think plod would take a dim view if you were seem using one.

selby newcomer:

scotstrucker:

selby newcomer:

scotstrucker:

Yeah, you can use it as a sat nav, do everything with them near enough. I got one for Xmas last year, didn’t really want it, but now my laptop is redundant, so handy they are.

Ain’t got a clue mate, bit too big to have in the windscreen for me. I use my Tom Tom, I just knew it could be used as a sat nav, but never tried it. Ive used my iPhone as a sat nav, an app called “nav free” and find that pretty good.

i’ll stick with tomtom and the good old collins 2001 road atlas then

How about the Samsung tab? Is that any good? Will that be able to use UK 4g?

I’m not an Apple lover at all

scotstrucker:

selby newcomer:

scotstrucker:

Yes it’s superb if you buy the Renault truck sat nav… :wink:

It’s also superb if you have sky tv at home you can watch all the sports channels for nothing…you take it into a RDC waiting room and watch the ■■■■■■■ staring at you :smiley:
Especially if their team is playing and your sat watching it whilst their listening to it on the radio on their phone :smiley:

Superb bit of kit,had it for well over a year and wouldn’t be without it now.

Iv got free view on my iPad if anyone would like the link please say So and I’ll post it.

Its free to sign up to and you can watch bbc1,2, itv ect ect pretty handy it is

Thetaff:

that looks a good app, but a bit expensive :wink: has anyone tried Navfree GPS Live Uk ( that’s my sort of price)

Thetaff:

scotstrucker:

selby newcomer:

scotstrucker:

It’s also superb if you have sky tv at home you can watch all the sports channels for nothing…you take it into a RDC waiting room and watch the [zb] staring at you :smiley:
Especially if their team is playing and your sat watching it whilst their listening to it on the radio on their phone :smiley:

Superb bit of kit,had it for well over a year and wouldn’t be without it now.

What do I need to search for that app? I can’t get anything Renault related…

ibson:

NavTruck , there’s a europe version and a UK one, it’s £95 for the UK one and £140 for Europe

I’d never survive without my iPad. It’s become the tool for my entire life

I can copy my records onto a compact cassette, 45 minutes on either side of a C90 and play them on my Walkman.

Fallmonk:
Just watch with the “Tune in radio”
Yes the app maybe free (altho I think I paid £1 odds for it ) but it will be using your data allowance and needs a 3G area !
That said it is a very good thing I use regular , You can listen to radio stations all over the world with it !

I have bought Tune in radio pro for my android phone, Works well with my unlimited data plan on 3 :slight_smile::-):-):-):-):-):-):-):slight_smile:

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2

I have the Motorola Xoom 32GB WiFi. I think tablets are great.I’m an Android fan and when I got the Xoom I could download all of the apps that I had bought for my phone. I watch a lot of videocasts and download them using Beyond Pod over the weekend. I also have a lot of games. Great for passing the time at tosco. I have a bluetooth keyboard and mouse and I can type a document and print it from anywhere in the world because my home printer supports Google cloud print. I also have all of my music and Ebooks on there( I also have a Kindle). Within a week of buying the xoom my laptop was on Ebay and I have never looked back.

One word of warning. The Xoom USB drivers are not in the Linux kernel. I makes me sad when I have to fire up my windows virtual machine just to transfer files to my Xoom :frowning:.

DaiDap:
How about the Samsung tab? Is that any good? Will that be able to use UK 4g?

I’m not an Apple lover at all

The Galaxy Tab is a nice device. Well made with a high quality screen. I normally find that If you turn up at an electrical retailer with a wallet full of cash they can find a demo unit to play with :slight_smile:. The Acer tablets are also very good.

To me the iPad is a cracking toy to play with but it can be a bit pricey (I.e initial purchase, apps, decent accessories etc), no problem if you’re 1 of these truckers on mega money. One of the major downsides for me is that you can’t store things like tv programmes, movies etc on it to watch offline (unless there is a function to do it that im not aware of). So if you’re down the road all week or stuck in some ■■■■■■ RDC for 4+ hours you’re stuffed. For that reason I decided to keep my laptop because I can download & keep anything I want off Sky go or iplayer & watch it at work, I can watch DVDs too(so I don’t have to buy/rent from iTunes etc to watch on iPad) & I don’t need to be online to do any of this. The 3G data plans don’t last long if you’re streaming/downloading a lot unless you have unlimited data (which is limited somehow somewhere In the small print). I haven’t tried anything on android (as I don’t think I’d like it) but it might be better for entertainment. I think All major RDCs should have free wifi for people to use :smiley:

Fallmonk:
Just watch with the “Tune in radio”
Yes the app maybe free (altho I think I paid £1 odds for it ) but it will be using your data allowance and needs a 3G area !
That said it is a very good thing I use regular , You can listen to radio stations all over the world with it !

You are a legend fallmonk now I can listen to Amensia radio now, they seem to stopped it on there app :cry:, but that tune in radio worked a treat…

Cheers fella

Denis F:

ibson:

NavTruck , there’s a europe version and a UK one, it’s £95 for the UK one and £140 for Europe

Thanking you, not sure if I want to pay the money just yet lol

Looks good though.

…and for my red arrow piece…

These devices are worth zilch until the whole world is getting delivered on unlimited wireless broadband.

That ain’t yet alas. :cry:

iPad apps…
I’ve got Sat Nav 2, NavFree for Benelux, France,Germany, and Forever Maps for all Europe that works off line, and pinpoints your position with a gps dot. The map app is brilliant for finding your address and getting a idea of what it looks like before you put in sat nav…
Another app which is brilliant, is planefinder hd, ever looked in sky and wondered where that plane is going, this tells you, airline, aircraft type, speed, where it’s from and where it’s going…