swiss

hey people.
first time on this site , does anyone know the height restrictions in swiss and what the actual bridge heights are . i used to do fair bit of swiss but never had a height problem . im running at 4.2 :sunglasses:

4.0 mtr. at chiasso/vallorbe and a few other borders there are height sensors. you can get away with 4.05 but i would not risk much more. big fine and you can be turned back and forced to go france or germany. hope this helps.

thanks mate , think i will let another driver load and run with it . i do fair bit of benelux and can get under many 4.0 bridges but a few with sensors i cant . not gonna risk a big fine when we got mega dafs that are lower :sunglasses:

wise decision. i used to have a mega wheeled daf and ran at 3.90 at the front and 4.1 at the back. i used to drop the backend down at vallorbe then lift it again after the first island. never got stopped but you never know.

i drive a mega actros , but its got 315/60r22.5 wheels front and rear , im 4.20 at the front but under 4.0 at the back . our fitter says cant get any smaller wheels for it . i can get under the aquduct on the a4 near schiphol but not the coen tunnel on the amsterdam ring . both are 4.0 :sunglasses:

i was 295/60 s all round. should be able to drop the actross no prob. only the tach and ecu needs calibrating. staightfoward for merc to do. takes 1 hour

there is a firm called hammerer they are austrian registered running red ivecos but if i remember right they used to be german registered running yellow actros"s im sure they were megas on the little wheels but our fitter reckons mercedes have told him it cant be done . someones telling porkies i think :sunglasses:

big ones. we has 1835 s on gbe. and hammerers are on them also. you are right.

im weekended at ashford gotta tip in the midlands monday then with a bit of luck back to the yard might have another go at him try and get something done about it . im sure that 4.20 is illegal in most of europe , if you get caught that is :sunglasses:

mad monk:
im sure that 4.20 is illegal in most of europe

Pretty much everywhere except UK, Ireland and France.

mad monk:
if you get caught that is :sunglasses:

The Germans in particular have been clamping down on overheight vehicles. The Swiss are, and always have been, hot on checking and issuing hefty fines. As stated already, most borders have sensors as do the major tunnels such as the Gotthard.

i pretty much stick to benelux these days , with the odd france or spain thrown in , done germany once with this truck but mostly the dafs get it . gonna hopefully persuade the powers that be to look into smaller wheels for it its only 10 months old , dont quite understand it . its supposed to be euro spec :sunglasses:

i was fined 400 swiss F last year for 7cm over hight running with middle axle up and 280 swiss F for 4cm over length was pulled in to control thought i was in for a weigh but they have sensors that messure you at the same time ,and there i stayed untill fine payed then was allowed to move still too long but not over high

I used to go to Italy a lot.
If you run Simpione route through Swiss there are no height thingies you only get done if the police are doing a stop. Whack it over the border at 5am and go for it, you will be ok.
I used to run at 4.25m and 17.9m length with an artic. I only got caught once (mind you the fines were so high that it was the last time).

mad monk : Holland has had 4m sensors on its tunnels for years.

sorry julian there is a height sensor in and out at vallorbe running the simplon also at the tunnel at sion and at iselle/gondo.

After being caught 2 times on the German (Basil) Border for being over height 4.14 the first time and 4.08 the second time I will never try to go to Swiss over height again…
But, at least I only got refused entry into the country…

Driving in Holland with the 4.08 metre truck, I found most bridges very tight., and some even rubbed the roof at the rear of the truck. I would definitely not recommend running over height in either country…the rest of Europe I’ve had no problems…
Now my truck is 3.97 so no more problems

i thought that running height was related to gross weight at least in uk some years ago

the firm i have just double manned for runs 4.1m in Germany and we took a supposed 4.2m to Toulouse the other week

hitch:
the firm i have just double manned for runs 4.1m in Germany and we took a supposed 4.2m to Toulouse the other week

They stand the chance of getting nicked in Germany for that, and the Germans have been clamping down on over height vehicles. 4.2m to France is no problem, like the UK they don’t actually have a height limit but over a certain height, 4.3m I think, you have to notify French railways of your route.

To add a little more information to that which C offehölic has wrote ,the may also get your load taken off your lorry and transported by a german company,with you being asked to leave the country if you are unable to adjust your running height to that of the leagal limit of 4.00 m, also if you have hit a bridge due to the illeagal height the costs of the inspection of the bridge will be also recovered from you or your firm,

height limit in france is 4.5 mr. spent a year running megas on a big wheel unit at 4.4 mr all over western france down as far as bordeaux