''Sweden is looking for Expiernced drivers''

The scenery is absolutely stunning and the roads up here in the north are empty just have to keep a keen eye out for the reindeer and moose who have no road sense.

I am still using British (EU) cards. It took around 2- 3 weeks for our Personal Number (everything revolves around this in Sweden) then a further 2 - 3 weeks for our ID card. Our driving licences have been surrendered to the authorities and we are awaiting Swedish ones.

Re the driving it’s different. The length does make it interesting when closing in on bays and the steering when reversing takes time (when in a muddle I still automatically revert to 5th wheel type reversing. Then strongly tell myself off).

The main difference is how we are treat as drivers. Everywhere I go people are pleased to see us. Coffee / drinks are free as well as sandwiches / fruit / cake / biscuits. The office staff treat us with respect asking rather than telling us what to do. As my boss said without lorry drivers we have nothing. I work a 2 week rota Mon - Fri week 1 I work 2 days and week 2 I work 4 days. I average a 40hr week which they have to pay me extra for to bring my hours up. There is a choice of 5 x 8hr shifts, 4 x 10hrs shifts or 3 x 13hr shifts.

For anyone wanting a different lifestyle / challenge Sweden is waiting. They love the British drivers attitude out here and a warm welcome is promised

A few more photos

That last foto south bound on E10 the traffic looks horendous. :grimacing:

On the bay at Umea dairy

Good read and nice pics. :slight_smile:

Hello everyone!
From your experience, is it possible to find work as a truck driver in Sweden only with english?

Yes,depending where you want to live and if you are prepared to live in Sweden and fit in,not just be there to earn money to send home to another country.Then they are not interested in investing in you.

bogdanditu:
Hello everyone!
From your experience, is it possible to find work as a truck driver in Sweden only with english?

Sure!

I bet half the container jockeys out of Gbg can’t speak three words of English, never mind drive a lorry or speak Swedish :laughing:

Its been awhile since posting on here. So thought a quick update was due. Everything has gone really really well. Winter driving has been testing at times but certainly brings its own beauty. A lot of grit, plenty of load transfer onto the drive axle and the odd diff lock engaged has got me through most of the troubles. Everyone out here mucks in and helps if you get in trouble and work have been super understanding about the ‘green’ Englishman. Brexit made my DCPC invalid so am having to do the Swedish equivalent YKB. Work have also received funding from EU to put us non native Swedish speakers on a language course! Find below some photos

Looks like a man living the dream. Now,if only I could turn the clock back 50 years.

Thanks Gidders. Life out here is unbelievably good - I keep having to pinch myself. I am not for one moment saying it is for everybody but…wish I had known 20 years ago what laid in wait for us in Sweden

Fantastic! Good to see you’ve settled in well.
I’m glad you mentioned the CPC as I was under the impression ours was still ok so i need to get that looked at asap!

For anyone still looking and thinking of coming here just make sure you do any licenses you want in the UK first! I have applied to do my CE as I only have C and it turns out another theory test is needed just for CE. Turns out even if you want to do BE you have to do another theory. The book is rather large!

So seems harder to pass here but then they definitely treat all driving jobs here as more professional so I think its fair. I’m on coaches here still and its night and day compared to how UK companies treat you. No Class 1 jobs paying 9 pound an hour that’s for sure!

Thanks Stephan. I was told back in October by Transportstyrelsen that my DCPC would be good until it expired in 2024. However, couple of weeks into the new year and my boss told me I had to do full 35hrs Swedish YKB before July! Not sure how licence exchange would work at moment either following Brexit. Find it totally bizarre that things issued when UK was under EU rules are no longer valid as of 31 Dec LOL

Maybe you should jump about a bit and get your boss to contact Transportstyrelsen about license,maybe there is a sort of ‘grace’ period before it gets complicated.I changed mine within a year of coming here.Its no good thinking ‘maybe I’ll go home at some time’.Get everything in Swedish,worry about the future when its here.

Yea I contacted transportstyrelsen last year September time and no one I spoke to seemed to have a straight answer but thought it would be fine.
I have the Swedish license and tacho but they said I didn’t need to swap over my CPC.

It’s not the end of the world having to do the YKB just a bit boring having to do another 35 hours when the CPC has four years left.

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

Was told today by my planner that British CPC is now accepted and that I do not have to carry on doing YKB (2 modules completed).

Hi everyone.

Just a quick message to say I have been pursuing this and my family and I hope to be out in Sweden in June/July time. I have a video interview with a company located in Northern Sweden soon, but they seem very positive about this and so do I.

We have already begun selling our household items as well as pricing up travel costs. We have 2 dogs and a young snake so there are a few more hurdles but easily doable, providing you are serious and have no doubts about making the move.

FelixstoweFlyer has been an absolute legend! I honestly can’t thank him enough for all of the information and tips. He is one of the main reasons why this has become possible.

So for those of you thinking about it and are willing to make the move, I suggest you do it because it is actually possible.

Things are not absolutely set in stone. We have a house to clear and sell here in the UK, then we have a house to buy in Sweden, hopefully not long after we arrive. Bear in mind we are doing everything without going over to Sweden prior to making the move permanent, but that’s how we need to do it so we are embracing it.

I will keep you all updated on this journey and I hope to message again in a few months from Northern Sweden.

All the best to everyone.

Curious to know where your’e moving to and who you intend to work for.

Interested in working in Sweden. Am UK and Irish (EU) passport holder with UK Class 1, 9 years experience recent medical and UK CPC. PM me if you have any info or reply in this thread. Already lived outside of UK for 20 years can relocate at short notice.

A quick update for anybody interested. Whilst jobs are still available and my bosses would love more British drivers it would appear that having gone through a lengthy application process, several issues have to be addressed. Firstly the way the company I work for advertises its jobs within the EU has to be addressed which I can confirm has been. Secondly and slightly more difficult with the problem lying at the drivers doorstep is the UK DCPC is no longer valid and is not exchangeable. Discussions are currently ongoing and I will appraise of the situation as soon as I know what is happening