''Sweden is looking for Expiernced drivers''

Hello all,

Have been loitering round the perimeter fence for a while and finally joined hoping someone will offer me their advice/opinion.

I am a 57 year old EU national living in Jersey, Channel Islands, and have recently passed my Cat C. Will be speaking to a local company tomorrow and if successful will have six months experience by the summer.

The reason for taking the Cat C is my interest in moving to Sweden (North ideally). We do not have CPC in Jersey, and am not even sure the licence is transferable. Contacted both the Jersey and Swedish authorities but neither could tell me, so at least one hurdle remains, though not insurmountable.

In the opinion of those with knowledge of the country, how likely is it that a newbie like me with six months experience in Cat C be able to find a driving job, ideally in Northern Sweden?

Please feel free to forward this query to anyone else you think may be able to help.

Thank you all very much in advance.

A very merry and peaceful xmas :slight_smile:

newbie2shoes:
Hello all,

Have been loitering round the perimeter fence for a while and finally joined hoping someone will offer me their advice/opinion.

I am a 57 year old EU national living in Jersey, Channel Islands, and have recently passed my Cat C. Will be speaking to a local company tomorrow and if successful will have six months experience by the summer.

The reason for taking the Cat C is my interest in moving to Sweden (North ideally). We do not have CPC in Jersey, and am not even sure the licence is transferable. Contacted both the Jersey and Swedish authorities but neither could tell me, so at least one hurdle remains, though not insurmountable.

In the opinion of those with knowledge of the country, how likely is it that a newbie like me with six months experience in Cat C be able to find a driving job, ideally in Northern Sweden?

Please feel free to forward this query to anyone else you think may be able to help.

Thank you all very much in advance.

A very merry and peaceful xmas :slight_smile:

Welcome!

The main problem for you I think would be the CPC though as I believe the YKB (CPC) here can only be done in Swedish.
I might be wrong on that but I haven’t found anything to correct me. From my own searching to do the C+E here it seems only a B license can be done in English, everything else in Swedish.

However if you are able to do the UK CPC that is fine over here I’ve been using mine and they won’t exchange it anyway. Also because of the price difference I would recommend doing it before coming.

Or another option is come here to do it but you’re probably looking at six months SFI maybe 8-9 to get your Swedish level enough to do it here. (I believe they actually do an exam unlike UK sleeping in the room for 35 hours).

Anyway I personally don’t think you can go wrong with northern Sweden it’s really wonderful.

Sent from my KB2003 using Tapatalk

lappland life 106.JPGRemember its not like Jersey here.

Hi Stephan870 & hutpik,

Thank you very much for replying. I thought I’d get an email when a post hit the chat thus the delayed thank you.

Good that the UK CPC is valid, I’ll get onto it straight away. It will do until my Swedish reaches the required level.

As for licence conversion, I have friends in Brittany so will see if I can convert the Jersey licence in France using their address. I know Jersey truck drivers who do European (mainly Spain & Portugal) runs in triple axle cat Cs, I’ll ask them what licence they are running with, Jersey or Euro.

Thank you for the snowy pic, yes, I’ve given much thought to the climate. I was born in the tropics and seem to have been going against the crowd all along. As everyone else seeks to move to warmer climates, I seem to always head North :slight_smile: . I see every place as package deal, take it all or leave it all. I my late teens and 20s I very much wanted to move to Sweden but life kinda got in the way. Looks like there is some truth to ‘never say never’.

Like an increasing number of people, I am more and more bearish on Europe. As mentioned by another member, either here or another chat, up there trouble has to go to a lot of trouble to find you.

The pandemic was an eye opener too, in how different societies handled it. I like the fact the Swedes did not panic and obliterate the civil rights of their population. That will be of (life saving) importance in the coming years. A good society is a careful balance of collectivism and individualism, we are seriously out of balance in the South.

Thank you again.

Happy new year ! ! !

What’s the situation for getting permanent resident or citizenship in Sweden?

Do you just need to work and live there for a certain number of years?

Perhaps go into Google & search for immigration sites relating to Sweden.As far as I know the UK has signed a reciprocal agreement with Sweden so Residency is easier than 3rd world countries.As far as I know you have to have a job or enough money to be self sufficient.Then you go to Migationsverket .if all is OK you get a residency permit for 5 years.Other,more recent immigrants may know better than me.

Looking at some immigration website, was unclear because one said you have to live and work in Sweden for 4 years out of the last seven, another said 5 years

Either way it seems quite straightforward, just obtain a job with work permit then work for few years.

Maybe someone on the forum have experience with applying?

As I have said on other forums,the best thing to do is come here and ask a company direct.Aslo you should look around at which area you wish to live as the diffences are enormous,remember Sweden is over 2200 kms top to bottom.In the north you can step into a job without problems.The only thing is the mentality of companies has changed in that they want people to stay,not just work for a short time then take the money and scarper as has been the case with the EE’s in the past.

I didn’t mean applying for a job, I meant applying for permenent residence