Swapping to digital tacho

Hi, I have a 2001 daf lf with a kinzel analouge tacho and im looking at changing to digital. I have been offered a daf digital tacho from a 2006 daf (unsure which daf tho) but apart from having the calibration done will there be any other work involved? or it it a big job?

Thanks

Shaun

Is the current head a 1324? If so its a straightforward job but you will need a new sender as the encryption is different.

AF1:
Is the current head a 1324? If so its a straightforward job but you will need a new sender as the encryption is different.

Thanks for your reply. Im not sure, i will have a look tomorrow. Will it say on the front?

If it’s a 1324 it will be a modular type, like a cd player size one rather than a combined Tacho/speedo. If you do get a digi fitted make sure they only seal the sender at the gearbox and not the sender and plug because you can’t reseal a digi so if the box needed to come out you would have to have a full calibration. I’ve noticed quite a few have started sealing both.

AF1:
If it’s a 1324 it will be a modular type, like a cd player size one rather than a combined Tacho/speedo. If you do get a digi fitted make sure they only seal the sender at the gearbox and not the sender and plug because you can’t reseal a digi so if the box needed to come out you would have to have a full calibration. I’ve noticed quite a few have started sealing both.

Well it is a cd player size one… Press the eject button for the drawer to pop out and put the disk in… How much would I be looking at for a sender? and would calibration of the digi set all the mileage to match the truck?

Just been looking at some info and I believe its a siemens vdo. From a 2006 daf. Bloke wants £100… Deal or no deal?

Anyone know much would I be looking at for a sender? and would calibration of the digi set all the mileage to match the truck?

Just been looking at some info and I believe its a siemens vdo. From a 2006 daf. Bloke wants £100… Deal or no deal?

Your man swapping tachos.
You will soon put the analog back in if you do a lot Ov driving.

regarding having the KMs set to match the truck, if the KMs on the new tacho head are LOWER than that displayed currently on the truck, then the new tacho head can be set to match the current KMs, but you cannot lower the recorded KMs on the tacho head

shuttlespanker:
regarding having the KMs set to match the truck, if the KMs on the new tacho head are LOWER than that displayed currently on the truck, then the new tacho head can be set to match the current KMs, but you cannot lower the recorded KMs on the tacho head

Ummm can you see a 2006 Daf XF doing less than 385000 KM

Shaunm41:

shuttlespanker:

i bought a 2003 XF95 in February last year with 259,000KMs on it, so, anything is possible :wink:

shuttlespanker:

Shaunm41:

i bought a 2003 XF95 in February last year with 259,000KMs on it, so, anything is possible :wink:

I’ve just bought a 2005 Renault Premium with about 210,000 on it so as spanky says, anything is possible…

Paul

is it a blue one? thought i saw you on the dock the other day but wasnt sure

chaversdad:
is it a blue one? thought i saw you on the dock the other day but wasnt sure

Yep probably was me, 05 plate darkish blue with no markings on it, “REPTON” number plate sat on the dash in the middle, orange beacons on the roof. Still got the same ribsided Fruehauf bulker on the back.

I was in and out of Teesport a fair few times last week as I did a few loads of wheat onto a boat at the PD terminal just down from TCT2 as well as the usual loads of potash and salt out of CPL next to TCT1.

Paul

Been having a read about and cant figure out, is it just a vehicle speed sensor I need to replace when changing from analouge to digital? Also Can I do it my self then get it calibrated of does it have to be an authorised person to fit it?

What other work would be involved apart from swapping the tachograph, swapping the sensor and getting it calibrated? Hope its pretty straight forward as F&G commercials want £300 + vat to fit it, Plus parts, plus calibration…

repton:
Yep probably was me, 05 plate darkish blue with no markings on it, “REPTON” number plate sat on the dash in the middle, orange beacons on the roof. Still got the same ribsided Fruehauf bulker on the back.

Think I followed you down Dunningsbridge Rd towards the M57/58 last Tuesday or Wednesday, I guess you’d just loaded Seaforth?

Ross.

bigr250:
Think I followed you down Dunningsbridge Rd towards the M57/58 last Tuesday or Wednesday, I guess you’d just loaded Seaforth?

I only did one load out of Seaforth last week which I loaded last thing Monday but then went down the road to park for the night outside Cargills Brocklebank plant, so I didn’t go out that way when I set off in the early hours of Tuesday morning.

If you’ve got your days mixed up and you mean Thursday or Friday of the previous week it could have been me as I was heading out that way mid afternoon on both of those days.

Paul

repton:
I only did one load out of Seaforth last week which I loaded last thing Monday but then went down the road to park for the night outside Cargills Brocklebank plant, so I didn’t go out that way when I set off in the early hours of Tuesday morning.

If you’ve got your days mixed up and you mean Thursday or Friday of the previous week it could have been me as I was heading out that way mid afternoon on both of those days.

Paul

Paul, I get confused about much more than days & weeks!!! I take it you went for a shower at the White Star cafe before nestling down in Hotel Premium??

I’ll keep an eye out for you parked up on the Dock Road on my way home in future. (much less parking down there now since they narrowed the road from Huskisson Dock to the Brocklebank!!)

Ross.

bigr250:
Paul, I get confused about much more than days & weeks!!! I take it you went for a shower at the White Star cafe before nestling down in Hotel Premium??

Yep, that’s half the reason for parking there as I know I can get a decent dinner and a shower for sensible money at the White Star.

Paul

Got the tachograph now… Removed the old one and put it in… If I move the truck it displays the speed on the tachographs screen… Does that mean it will work with that sensor or do I still need one? also if I try put my digicard in it spits it out saying card error 50… It does this in slot 1 & 2 so maybe a card fault? Ive not used it for about 2 years… It worked fine back then…

Shaunm41:
if I try put my digicard in it spits it out saying card error 50… It does this in slot 1 & 2 so maybe a card fault? Ive not used it for about 2 years… It worked fine back then…

Card error 50 is a bad card read, try cleaning the card particularly the chip with a soft cloth if you haven’t already, it’s always worked for me.