Swains and morgans pics

Hi all this is my first post and i would like to say what a forum this is i could spend hours just looking at the old pictures.
My grandad used to work for swains of stretton in the 70s and 80s i think and just wandered if anyone had any pics of the old lorries maybe one was his.
Also my boss’ dad used to work for d and m morgans in craven arms around the same time i believe and he also would love to find some pics because he says there are not many about.

Thanks alot

Rich

Hi Rich and welcome to the best trucky web site in the universe :confused:

As a fully paid up member you get your very 1st wish:-
photos of Morgans and Swains :slight_smile:

How early do you want?
Day cab Scania 110…

nice early F88

or fancy a trip in “Crossways Dinky”?..

or maybe some beefy 6 wheelers!

this 111 looks so heavy

or perhaps you prefer a German machine!

They even had a rare old French reg Berliet.

Enjoy these. Theres plenty more where these came from :smiley:

I best take my camera to work tomorrow , we have 2 of the Swains lads running out of our yard with very nice Dafs

GerryT:
I best take my camera to work tomorrow , we have 2 of the Swains lads running out of our yard with very nice Dafs

Nice one Gerry. Be nice to see some newer stuff.

is that his son though gerry hes called steve same colours■■?

s2rich:
Hi all this is my first post and i would like to say what a forum this is i could spend hours just looking at the old pictures.
My grandad used to work for swains of stretton in the 70s and 80s i think and just wandered if anyone had any pics of the old lorries maybe one was his.
Also my boss’ dad used to work for d and m morgans in craven arms around the same time i believe and he also would love to find some pics because he says there are not many about.

About 1970 or71 I was running back for the ferry with a Swains of Stretton.
At the top of Cherbourg Hill I stopped for deisel and he had run out of money or something(its hard to remember so long ago). Anyway he was a really nice chap and I let him have some deisel on my card so he could get back to Poole.
At the time he said that his boss would reimburse me and he took my address. Next thing was I got a letter from him saying his boss wouldn’t cough up so he had sent me his own cheque. Wasn’t a great amount but it was a nice gesture. He was driving a Volvo F 86 at the time. Was this your grandad or does he know of the incident ? I know I lost any respect for Mr. Swain!

dreva:
is that his son though gerry hes called steve same colours■■?

Its is m8, same colours, one of the wagons i think its the 07 is dedicated to his mum.

I was to late to catch them tonight but i will get them Monday

yeah his son steve has about 8 trucks i believe running traction and log work.
Swains of stretton are still running also with about ten trucks on containers traction and also i think one still does european.

got mag of steve hes restoring a long cabbed 141 i think■■?

yeah thats right it came from turkey or somewhere like that .

must mention it to gs he has photo of a mate of his with one that got burnt out wonder if its the same one■■?

Better late than never

The 07 , i think this was for Steve’s mum, hence the name

Monet’s Poppies

Its nice inside too

And the 05

Apparently the “Crossways” in the units name come’s from the first farm Swain’s ran from and has been kept by both farther and son

nice pics mate :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Great Pics !!! Im baffled thought Swains can afford such good kit on Traction rates such as Continental Cargo Carriers!!

routier:
Great Pics !!! Im baffled thought Swains can afford such good kit on Traction rates such as Continental Cargo Carriers!!

I was told by one of the drivers that there’s a lot of £££ in Logs

So forgive me for a bit as i nip upstairs with the paper and have a sit down to investigate this further :laughing:

Typical friday queue to go up the Blanc Swains of Stretton in front.

Again not a good pic but it is the same swains Trailer

Regards Pat

Hi lads, firstly, congrat’s on a great forum - its brought back so many memories for me. I’m not in the trade but my dad was on continental, comi-block and middle east, and Drove for Swains during the early 80’s (amongst many others during his time!) out of their Huddersfield Depot, but living in Stafford we used their Telford Depot frequently. I have a pic here in PDF but I don’t know how to add it to the message! Any more older Swains pics would be greatly appreciated, as would help with the pdf’s!!! Keep up the good work.

Has anyone got a photo of the 1 scania that D & N Morgan had? I think big John Lewis who now owns central salvage in craven arms drove it.

i cant belive swains are making money on transmec :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

jessica’s dad:
i cant believe swains are making money on transmec :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

We have had 2 motors of them for at least 2 years, ones normally on Hoover with the other on general. I guess there must be money in it somewhere.

Mind you there the only suby’s left now .