Suzzys to trailers

It’s not a difficult job I know to connect . But is there not a European standard that the suzzys connect in a straight line rather than criss cross or is there a reason that they criss cross.

Yeah it does rather niggle with me too, especially if I’m on a shift with a lot of trailer changes and every one is different and the parking brake can be any of 4 different places :unamused:

Standardising them wouldn’t be friggin rocket science, Not the end of the world I know but still gets annoying.

I can put up with the suzies being in different places, but what really gets my goat is finding the means of adjusting the steering wheel or turning on the cab lights in the dark.

But would we do it the British way or the European way …

cav551:
I can put up with the suzies being in different places, but what really gets my goat is finding the means of adjusting the steering wheel or turning on the cab lights in the dark.

oh hell yes :laughing: you would expect some similarity between units of the same age from the same manufacturer to have at least some continuity but not Mercedes :unamused:

I often think about this, especially when I come to (another) set of tangled suzies. We have trailers from many different manufacturers and even though most of out trucks are Mercs they can have different suzie layouts too. Once in a blue moon when the sky is red and a pig flies by I get a unit and trailer where the suzies all line up perfectly and it does make you wonder why this hasn’t be standardised by now.

Saying that, unless the EU can make money out of it I wouldn’t hold your breath.

Most annoying thing is when you are pulling flatbed and you do U turn. Bloody hooks on the front of the trailer keep catching your suzies! :imp:

If they tried to standardise them, especially if it was an EU things. We’d have posts that went on for weeks about EU interference, especially if they insisted on palm couplings as well.

A frame and the problem is solved,the worst lorry for tangled greasy ball of air lines is a daf , when it close coupled and the lines have no a frame ,the green plague were fitting a frames to their units 2 decades ago when i was working for um,that was before volvo started fitting them as standard ,fact :wink:

Our Krone trailers match up perfectly to our Mercs. Doesn’t make a great deal of difference though when we have to get into some of the holes we deliver too, they still get tangled. :imp:

Saw this strange susie set up on an artic today

Saw one of those setups a few weeks ago. Bloody marvellous for small yards - he jackknifed it around in a yard where I had to drop all my lines and hit the shunt button :sunglasses:

The Sarge:
Saw one of those setups a few weeks ago. Bloody marvellous for small yards - he jackknifed it around in a yard where I had to drop all my lines and hit the shunt button :sunglasses:

Ive seen loads of these about but never in a tight place,dont they snag on the light clusters :question: you cant beat a aframe unit and slider on the trailer both as high as possible to keep out of the grease :neutral_face:

Nope, nothing snagged, and we virtually had to hit the side of the trailer with the back of the cab to get out - Didn’t do the tyres any favours…

The Sarge:
Nope, nothing snagged, and we virtually had to hit the side of the trailer with the back of the cab to get out - Didn’t do the tyres any favours…

Thats surprised me,i thought the lights would be history,i bet you need to be very flexible and wearing a boiler suit on to couple up :laughing: :laughing:

ADR 1:

Saw this strange susie set up on an artic today

we had drivers coming into a place I worked as a lad 40 yrs ago with suzzys set up like that … just not a common sight, It allows close couple with no chance of the trl snagging the lines etc. the guy’s that came in to us were mainly from the Swiss alps and it allowed as said tight turning with no damage to the lines.

JOST have a even better set up which doesn’t require the driver to attach the lines as it’s all auto. Posted the video here a few times but ill have a quick look now.

m1cks:
JOST have a even better set up which doesn’t require the driver to attach the lines as it’s all auto. Posted the video here a few times but ill have a quick look now.

yeah that’s been available a very long time …
much like the air lift landing legs we had on the B Gas trailer hook up pin in twist a lever and up went the legs great system…

JOST KKS System: youtu.be/xM_vMXThvHQ

Geeeeez, and I actual read this, ffs