Suttons Widnes

Absolutely made today to get a phone call from these offering me a interview on Tuesday until I got a email showing me the new chemical tanker driver rates of £9.93 basic ,the biggest shock though was the HR girl who was stunned when I phoned back to cancel my interview trying to convince me they are one of the highest payers around ,honestly I nearly fell out my chair with laughter ,it looks well when you can drive frozen food around all day for £12 an hour or more and tanker work is £9.93 the mind boggles

Well thats disappointing :frowning:

andy12:

Extremely disappointing I thought Suttons was a good company to work for

All inline with their last round of industrial action. T’s&c’s protected for old hands, so they can offer crap like that to new starters. It’ll be a minimum wage job when the older guys are retired and gone. And you’ve got your fellow drivers to thank for it, not solely the employers :unamused:

OVLOV JAY:
All inline with their last round of industrial action. T’s&c’s protected for old hands, so they can offer crap like that to new starters. It’ll be a minimum wage job when the older guys are retired and gone. And you’ve got your fellow drivers to thank for it, not solely the employers :unamused:

Very good point mate I was talking to one of the older guys who reckoned he was on about 40k now I know why

gaz1668:

andy12:

Extremely disappointing I thought Suttons was a good company to work for

As did I, Applied there couple of weeks ago thinking it was a good job looks like I was mistaken

I have been in there a few times for an agency many years ago , and from what i could gather then agency was paying more

Industrial action ■■ There is a difference in pay between the old imperial employees(after the buy out) and the existing suttons drivers.The existing suttons drivers never received a pay rise whilst the old imperial drivers received a pay rise to bring them closer to the suttons drivers rate.After 3 years averaging over £45k with an average of 1 night out per week and an average of 1 Saturday per month then please tell me where else that kind of wage can be had for what is basically a Monday to Friday clean,interesting and relaxed job.
The rubbish that gets posted on this site proves why our industry will never attract the kind of interest it so badly needs.Misguided,misinformed,nonsensical benign ramblings is the only way it can be described and not just on this subject.
If you want to earn £12 an hour pushing cages around working for a supermarket,feel free and go for it. £9.93 ? per hour is basic,time and a half,double time and early start money come on top of that.
Keep chasing that elusive golden pay packet for doing 8 hours a day,being at home every night and driving a scania v8 or grow a pair,do a proper job for a decent company with no hassle and go home satisfied.

mille66:
Industrial action ■■ There is a difference in pay between the old imperial employees(after the buy out) and the existing suttons drivers.The existing suttons drivers never received a pay rise whilst the old imperial drivers received a pay rise to bring them closer to the suttons drivers rate.After 3 years averaging over £45k with an average of 1 night out per week and an average of 1 Saturday per month then please tell me where else that kind of wage can be had for what is basically a Monday to Friday clean,interesting and relaxed job.
The rubbish that gets posted on this site proves why our industry will never attract the kind of interest it so badly needs.Misguided,misinformed,nonsensical benign ramblings is the only way it can be described and not just on this subject.
If you want to earn £12 an hour pushing cages around working for a supermarket,feel free and go for it. £9.93 ? per hour is basic,time and a half,double time and early start money come on top of that.
Keep chasing that elusive golden pay packet for doing 8 hours a day,being at home every night and driving a scania v8 or grow a pair,do a proper job for a decent company with no hassle and go home satisfied.

The only rubbish in this thread is coming from you. It’s a race to the bottom and if you can’t see this, god help you.

OVLOV JAY:

Why would anyone already employed accept worse t and c’s? How can you blame the existing workforce? It’ll be a minimum wage job because drivers will work for that.
By the sounds of it, the problem stems from people like you.

mille66:

It’s funny how management of some companies are eager to defend their businesses on public forums.
Would you care to explain to us how did you arrive at that 45k/ year, considering the pay is £9.93 basic?
Brake down it all on weekly basis, as I’m sure you wouldn’t want potential employees to feel confused and have clarity of how they can achieve that large figure.
Thanks

mille66:

£9.93 basic hardly a decent basic wage, especially when you have to rely on all the other add ons to make a decent living.
I was pushing cages around 5 years ago for £11.25 p/h x 37.5 pw

45k would not be possible on the rates I got emailed unless you lived there 365 days a year ,the company sick pay wasn’t great either ,but each to there own if someone wants to drive a tanker for £9.93 an hour good luck to you ,I know I won’t be doing it

Nothing new in the replies there then.Employed there for the last 3 years and not as a manager or owner but just as a driver,your misconception or lack of intelligence ?I can’t make my mind up.Wages are made up of single time,time and a half and double time,we also get paid for starting before 6am and again for before 5am.Nights out are £27.90 and I personally average between 60 and 65 hours,I could chase more money and work every weekend available but I can’t be bothered because I have a life.The proof is in my P60 every year and as much as I’d like to publish that,I won’t,I have no reason whatsoever to lie,fabricate or exaggerate what I earn.
You won’t drive a tanker for our money ? Then what will you drive one for? £15hr ? £20hr ? Work nights,weekend nights and regular weekends with people watching your every move and taking pictures of you whilst you work.No thanks I did petrol for 10 years for Shell at stanlow and I have chosen not to go back on numerous occasions.
This industry I have chosen to work in for the last 30 years has gone steadily down hill and there’s no sign of it changing any time soon.I chose to earn a decent living,working for a decent firm and go home at the end of the week to a life and not have to worry how frilly my curtains are,how shiny my wheels are or whether all my 28 spotlights are working and maybe work out how to pay for it all on just above minimum wage.

Just before I go and play golf I’d just like to say that I never look at what sick pay a company pays before I work for them,in the event of unforseen long term sickness I’d like to think I have enough money myself to cover any shortfall in company sick pay.I get 28 days holiday and choose not to work bank holidays,this year’s holidays have been spent in the Isle of Man (with the car and motorbike),cornwall,New York and Italy.At the age of 50 I’d like to think I know what matters in life.No the hourly rate isn’t great but the bigger picture is on average a whole lot better than most of the mind numbing rubbish out there.

mille66:
Just before I go and play golf I’d just like to say that I never look at what sick pay a company pays before I work for them,in the event of unforseen long term sickness I’d like to think I have enough money myself to cover any shortfall in company sick pay.I get 28 days holiday and choose not to work bank holidays,this year’s holidays have been spent in the Isle of Man (with the car and motorbike),cornwall,New York and Italy.At the age of 50 I’d like to think I know what matters in life.No the hourly rate isn’t great but the bigger picture is on average a whole lot better than most of the mind numbing rubbish out there.

To be honest I’ve never noticed a company’s sick pay before until I had a knee operation last year and it was nice to recover in Cyprus whilst receiving my full salary and not £47 a day ,if you get 28 days holiday they must have changed it because in the new terms and conditions I received it was 22 and the early start premium of £3 was only before 6am ,but who are we to argue ,£9.93 isn’t for everyone but someone will do it and good luck to them enjoy golf I’m off to the rugby at old Trafford .

sweepster:

OVLOV JAY:

Why would anyone already employed accept worse t and c’s? How can you blame the existing workforce? It’ll be a minimum wage job because drivers will work for that.
By the sounds of it, the problem stems from people like you.

How does the problem stem from “people like me”? When I’m saying I wouldn’t work in such a company. I don’t believe in two tier wages. Can you imagine a Friday afternoon? I’m not going back out when Fred over there is going home on more money than me. The problem, as I already stated, was the existing work force who were bought by the management :wink:

mille66:

Wow.Can I be you when I grow up please.
Dress it up anyway you like your hourly rate is grim.Just about get you a pint in NYC

I have no personal experience with Suttons so can only base what I say on heresay but I did work for Imperial Tankers for over 15 years and still have many friends there who I talk to regularly.

The overwhelming impression I get from them is not biching about money but more about what a horrible company Suttons themselves are to work for. They seem to be a Co full of middle managers who reached the ceiling of their abilities two or more promotions ago, therefore in order to justify their jobs they constantly meddle and interfere in things that have previously not required attention.

It speaks volumes to me when you get guys in their fifties who have worked at the same Co for over 20 years jumping ship to the likes of Dennis Dixon, Isotank etc, when before Suttons came on board these guys fully expected to see out their working days with Imperial.

mille66:
Nothing new in the replies there then.Employed there for the last 3 years and not as a manager or owner but just as a driver,your misconception or lack of intelligence ?I can’t make my mind up.Wages are made up of single time,time and a half and double time,we also get paid for starting before 6am and again for before 5am.Nights out are £27.90 and I personally average between 60 and 65 hours,I could chase more money and work every weekend available but I can’t be bothered because I have a life.The proof is in my P60 every year and as much as I’d like to publish that,I won’t,I have no reason whatsoever to lie,fabricate or exaggerate what I earn.
You won’t drive a tanker for our money ? Then what will you drive one for? £15hr ? £20hr ? Work nights,weekend nights and regular weekends with people watching your every move and taking pictures of you whilst you work.No thanks I did petrol for 10 years for Shell at stanlow and I have chosen not to go back on numerous occasions.
This industry I have chosen to work in for the last 30 years has gone steadily down hill and there’s no sign of it changing any time soon.I chose to earn a decent living,working for a decent firm and go home at the end of the week to a life and not have to worry how frilly my curtains are,how shiny my wheels are or whether all my 28 spotlights are working and maybe work out how to pay for it all on just above minimum wage.

A lot of waffle and nothing else.
How about you show us your average week, calculate one for us, so that we could see how you have arrived to that 45k a year.
it isn’t much to ask for,is it? (before you go playing golf, or after, we are happy to wait)

When Suttons were closing one their depots in Northampton last year, all their drivers there were offered a training , and a job on Imperial Tankers, and after being told all the pay conditions, none, and let me repeat that to you, none of them took the offer up.
Since it was such a good, well paying job, as you are trying to convince us over here, why would they be refusing, such good wages, long yearly holiday leave.
Any clue?

And, one more thing ,since you are a regular driver , as you are trying to convince us, what made you after 7 years of signing on here, make your first post defending Suttons?