Supermarket work,cutting up the job

Once had an experience with one,started off ok,until i got back TOO early to the depot,the yard foreman was going nuts,turning red with anger,as i had got back too early,as the normal lads made the shift last longer than it took,to get a few lay by snoozes in as part of the shift,the stores were non the wiser,on how long the job took.
It was Safeway,out of Bristol,years ago now,i was told to hide from the office and the other drivers,by washing down the truck in their wash,and clock off when they expected everyone else to be finished by,i then got a lecture on the 40 mph limit,and how fast i had gone to be back in that time,i was not briefed on the way they do things.He threatened me with the union guys wanting a chat,and if the boss found out the true trip times,then they would go mad with the other drivers, on why it took them so long to do a 150 mile round trip,with one drop,back empty.

Typical boss. All he needs to do is do a round one night himself to see how long it takes. He could even do it in his flash car if it has cruise control and sets it to 56/50/40mph respectively.

If the job gets done it gets done ffs.

You could do it on a route finder without leaving the office

How long did you take Toby?

Reminds me of when i worked for (K**ys for catalogues) out of Leeds in the 1970’s.Newcastle trunk-trailer change- was 8 hours return including break and do not DARE come back earlier.Only use A1,don’t exceed 40mph.This probably caused more accidents on the A1 at night than any adverse road conditions.Almost caused a riot when we got the Poundstretcher contract,3 drops south Wales in 21/2 days,IMPOSSIBLE!!!

I can remember when my dad worked out of the Co-op Glass works in worksop, he was a subbie and got all the long runs. There drivers could not do London and back in the day, this was pre M25 but still. And people wonder why the jobs gone ■■■■ up, that sort of work starts people thinking that they can do it quicker and cheaper, people start undercutting and the next thing you know we are all working for ■■■■ all!

toby1234abc:
Once had an experience with one,started off ok,until i got back TOO early to the depot,the yard foreman was going nuts,turning red with anger,as i had got back too early,as the normal lads made the shift last longer than it took,to get a few lay by snoozes in as part of the shift,the stores were non the wiser,on how long the job took.
It was Safeway,out of Bristol,years ago now,i was told to hide from the office and the other drivers,by washing down the truck in their wash,and clock off when they expected everyone else to be finished by,i then got a lecture on the 40 mph limit,and how fast i had gone to be back in that time,i was not briefed on the way they do things.He threatened me with the union guys wanting a chat,and if the boss found out the true trip times,then they would go mad with the other drivers, on why it took them so long to do a 150 mile round trip,with one drop,back empty.

And they probably wondered when the contract went out to tender, “what did we do wrong”.

Pull stunts like that nowadays and you wouldn’t last long iso trak has put paid to the lazy barstewards.

God if only!
Sick of chasing my backside all day no matter where I work. Too many runs/drops and too little time. Can’t remember the last time I didn’t resent having to take my 45 because it’s 45 mins I don’t have.

Done agency work for Asda Chepstow and Portbury and on the paperwork it’d gives your ETA for returning to depot, it was usually an easy Target to meet .

bald bloke:
Done agency work for Asda Chepstow and Portbury and on the paperwork it’d gives your ETA for returning to depot, it was usually an easy Target to meet .

asda drivers are still stringing the job out… wait till mallinsons take over then they be moaning.

jessicas dad:

bald bloke:

asda drivers are still stringing the job out… wait till mallinsons take over then they be moaning.

Who are Mallinsons :question:

ken mallinsons
mallinsons

asda

i expect asda drivers are thinking it will never happen to them.

toby1234abc:

Why do more work than you have to? Too many ‘yes’ men in this industry nowadays. Used to get the same thing on agency too.

One of our drivers used to do a regular run, torquay, exeter, honiton, dorchester & yeovil. Hes been on this run for almost 8 yrs & was taking about 10 1/2 hrs to do it but sometimes abit longer. Anyway the round was changed slightly because dorchester depot closed & weymouth was added meaning the round was slightly longer. To cut along story short the driver was taken off the round & i was put on it, The driver was not happy & is still protesting months later. I find this round so much better then my old round & i can do it easily in 9 1/2 hrs sometimes less. The driver who used to do it has said to me i must be speeding etc to do it in that time & i should slow down but this is not the case. I just like to get on with the job & im not gonna change the way i work because he says so. I have been told by the staff at the different drops that he used to hang it out longer to get overtime but i have a life outside this job that i love so i like to get it done & get home. I think the driver in question has had it easy & didnt want the bosses finding out just how long this round really takes.
Now i know some of you will probably think im stupid & its people like me who make this job harder for others by getting it done quicker but i dont care. I am paid for 48hrs a week & anything over that is paid at time & a half but theres more to life then money.

kr79:

cant see that,i can do the same run 2 days in a row and one day itll take 10 hrs the next 15 hrs, accidents,road works,time to load,time to unload,truck ready,next day its 3 hrs late back.

ady1:

kr79:

cant see that,i can do the same run 2 days in a row and one day itll take 10 hrs the next 15 hrs, accidents,road works,time to load,time to unload,truck ready,next day its 3 hrs late back.

Yeah i agree but over a matter of weeks you can get an idea of how long a run takes as your not gonna be held up by accidents etc every day. The run i do normally takes 9-9 1/2 hrs most days. the odd occasion i have done it in less & sometimes it may take longer but on the whole it takes 9- 9 1/2 hrs.

tyler4164:
One of our drivers used to do a regular run, torquay, exeter, honiton, dorchester & yeovil. Hes been on this run for almost 8 yrs & was taking about 10 1/2 hrs to do it but sometimes abit longer. Anyway the round was changed slightly because dorchester depot closed & weymouth was added meaning the round was slightly longer. To cut along story short the driver was taken off the round & i was put on it, The driver was not happy & is still protesting months later. I find this round so much better then my old round & i can do it easily in 9 1/2 hrs sometimes less. The driver who used to do it has said to me i must be speeding etc to do it in that time & i should slow down but this is not the case. I just like to get on with the job & im not gonna change the way i work because he says so. I have been told by the staff at the different drops that he used to hang it out longer to get overtime but i have a life outside this job that i love so i like to get it done & get home. I think the driver in question has had it easy & didnt want the bosses finding out just how long this round really takes.
Now i know some of you will probably think im stupid & its people like me who make this job harder for others by getting it done quicker but i dont care. I am paid for 48hrs a week & anything over that is paid at time & a half but theres more to life then money.

Your carving up the job, taking less money out of a shift than is available. People like you ruin it for others who like to make a decent wedge to provide for themselves and familys.

Let me explain it to you simple as you claim you have a life away from work. 5 12hr take it easy string it out shifts is much better than the likes of you rushing like a madmen and making those 5 12hr shifts into 6 8hr shifts.

Think of a nasty word thats what i think of drivers like you.

the reason asda in portbury has good running times is if everybody got back to the yard together there would be chaos. lad i know went in there on agency done a run without having a 2 hr kip and got a [zb] for getting back to early even though he took his time still thats going to change soon when they move into there new place :sunglasses:

pavaroti:

tyler4164:

Your carving up the job, taking less money out of a shift than is available. People like you ruin it for others who like to make a decent wedge to provide for themselves and familys.

Let me explain it to you simple as you claim you have a life away from work. 5 12hr take it easy string it out shifts is much better than the likes of you rushing like a madmen and making those 5 12hr shifts into 6 8hr shifts.

Think of a nasty word thats what i think of drivers like you.

I dont have to rush to get the run done in that time thats just how long it takes. I would have to park in layby & sleep for ages to take the same time as other driver.
Its drivers like you who are the reason companies go bust paying wages to lazy cant be bothered to work drivers like u for parking up for ages when theres no need. If i have work to do i get on with it. I dont care what you think of me. Im sorry your home life is so crap that you love to sit in a metal box for hours on end rather then be at home :laughing: :laughing:

tyler4164:

Bloody hell mate :exclamation: :exclamation: so over 5 days youv’e gained 5 hours of extra home/life time :unamused: :unamused:

Don’t think you are stupid mate :laughing: just think your attitude is typical of the new crop of drivers, self centred and selfish. It won’t be long before another fella comes along and takes 45mins; off the time you are doing it in but hey ho will you accept that or complain about it :question:

Youv’e chopped a guy’s regular run down by a measly 1hr and your bosses love you :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :laughing: you’d better hope they still love you when the next speedy guy get’s a start and carves your little run up coz you might find it difficult to find any more runs to carve up.

Bet all your workmate’s love you fella. :astonished: :open_mouth: :laughing: :unamused:

Regards
Dave Penn;