supermarket fuel

is it ok? an old boy at a rdc told me that it was inferior grade and that he wouldn’t fill up there (wagon or car). also heard the same of a cabbie??

Well that’s two people I’d never listen to, a cabbie and a driver in a RDC! :wink:

I will use Sainsbury’s fuel but NEVER ASDA or Tesco, same with Morrisons, just my opinion but I go on the computer on the car which shows many more miles to a tank when using decent fuel compared to using “inferior” stuff. A tankful of Shell V power occasionally helps also.

fuel is fuel in my opinion. it’s met certain standards and is perfectly fine

They all come out of same pipe but then difference is in the additives, supermarkets don’t have as many or high grade additives as the main suppliers.
also in some cases the supermarket petrol bought in and refined in a n other country is not a fine as done in the uk though it’s still 95 octane.

i havent used a supermarket for fuel for my car for years now, ever since the big scandal in the london area of cars filling up in various tesco supermarkets and then breaking down soon after. My dads car broke down after he filled up, he got it repaired and then heard about the tesco situation a couple of days later, tesco paid him the money he paid for the repairs, it was a few hundred quid.

its not the same petrol as you get in esso, bp and shell etc etc

Wether it’s made in this country or not, it’s all made to a British standard.

Shell V power or BP rocket fuel whatever may be of a higher standard than the British standard dictates, but the basic supermarket stuff is no lower standard than the British Standard dictates.

The shell ■■■■-up came down to a contaminated tanker, had a lot of silicon in it.

wincanton tanker on a tesco job i heard - about 2007■■

cieranc:
Wether it’s made in this country or not, it’s all made to a British standard.

Shell V power or BP rocket fuel whatever may be of a higher standard than the British standard dictates, but the basic supermarket stuff is no lower standard than the British Standard dictates.

had a lot of silicon in it.

^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^

Shell and BP were certainly noticeably better in my bike and the mates 2000S Honda

Supermarkets don’t refine fuel :wink:

Hate to admit it but I do notice a bit more mpg out of shell over morrisons and certainly asda…

N/B A1 just before Scotch Corner I put £50 of V power in my motor (got a free coffee). Later on the 74 noticed my car was missing now and again, it got steadily worse over the next 1500 miles, was beginning to fear the worst, bmw 530d, but luckily it turned out to be the connection on the MAF thingy. The things I said about Vpower fuel are unprintable, but the free coffee was welcome. Still dont think the added cost is worthwhile though.

Harry Monk:

nope they don’t but they do buy cheap polish (other countries are available) fuel and has been known to be shipped in “sea washed” tankers :unamused: .
and that from a chemical/petroleum supply depot manager. :wink:

Harry Monk:

Until such time as Carrefour grace our shores, they’re linked to Total.

mrx:
is it ok? an old boy at a rdc told me that it was inferior grade and that he wouldn’t fill up there (wagon or car). also heard the same of a cabbie??

The clue here are the letters R. D and C.

Sea washed tankers :exclamation: whoever told you that old rubbish is way out of date. It does not happen any more but granted did before the days of spotter planes and VERY stringent paper work regarding illegal discharges. Unlimited fines, criminal record and imprisonment for the master & engineers of any vessel found doing so. Not to mention the chemical tests done to determine any stuff in the tanks that should not be there, including salt residues.

many years ago I used to load a gas tanker on a night run in milford haven and when i was on the pipe loading I used to watch the petrol and diesel tankers come and go.
tesco, asda, morrisons, texaco, elf/fina/total, they all used to load from the same delivery pipes and the same huge tanks as each other and the drivers wouldn’t be adding anything to their trailers in the way of additives or water so i used to think they were all delivering the same stuff

gezt:

Harry Monk:

nope they don’t but they do buy cheap polish (other countries are available) fuel and has been known to be shipped in “sea washed” tankers :unamused:

Anyone who has ever caught a ferry into or out of Rotterdam will be able to tell you where the vast majority of UK-bought fuel comes from.

Of course, if you haven’t, you could always Google for “Rotterdam Spot Market” :wink:

when i did my hgv training we fueled up at a bp site, when i asked the guy why he did,nt use other ones he told me that he had done the mpg thing and got more for his money from BP,

well i have done the same thing and my vehicles all get better mpg using bp/shell then any supermarket fuels… even with a 5p saving that some supermarkets do I have still had better mpg from bp/shell…

V8 petrol disco, 300 tdi disco and a diesel freelander…

What are you doing filling a 300TDi up on the forcourt for■■?

They run quite happily on Hyd oil, veg oil, gear oil, engine oil, red, green, kerosine, 2 stroke or anything else you can find in a barrel at the top of the yard :slight_smile: