supermarket fuel

mrx:
is it ok? an old boy at a rdc told me that it was inferior grade and that he wouldn’t fill up there (wagon or car). also heard the same of a cabbie??

cheaper supermarket fuels dont have the detergents in that common BP shell ect. fuels have as additives

cieranc:
What are you doing filling a 300TDi up on the forcourt for■■?

They run quite happily on Hyd oil, veg oil, gear oil, engine oil, red, green, kerosine, 2 stroke or anything else you can find in a barrel at the top of the yard :slight_smile:

appart from the red you mentioned
if you are using any of the above you should add a detergent to it

What are you doing filling a 300TDi up on the forcourt for■■?

every 4th tank is forecourt the rest is as you say :wink: with redex

As it s been discussed got me thinking i neevr really used the car as live in london so public transport easier and quicker but last three months depot was 17 miles away so had to use car and always just filled the tank in sainsburys did the same mileage every week nothing had changed same hours worked same time stuck in traffic same time no traffic and had found in the last few weeks before work finished i was down about 30/40 miles in the tank but maybe price had changed as wasnt watching the price
also i used to drive diesel car for yrs and always found for a few weeks after they were serviced fuel consumption went up anyone throw any light on that

mcgregors shafter:
if you are using any of the above you should add a detergent to it

Hmmm, never tried running it on Jif, but will give it a go. Cheers :smiley:

Been putting tesco’s petrol in my 1.8 mondeo for 3 yrs, no problems at all.

For many years I worked for a company where we sometimes had a spate of buying fuel up the road on Keyfuels, and sometimes had a spate of buying it at our local Morrisons, and there was absolutely no difference whatsoever in fuel consumption or performance.

Believing that BP fuel is somehow better because it costs more is like believing that Stella Artois is a good beer because it is “reassuringly expensive”.

Still, like they say, “Never give a sucker an even break” :wink:

selby newcomer:
My dads car broke down after he filled up, he got it repaired and then heard about the tesco situation a couple of days later, tesco paid him the money he paid for the repairs, it was a few hundred quid.

Had a similar thing in the Northwest back around 96-97, affected BMW’s fitted with engines that had cylinder bores finished with a teflon type coating, whatever it was in the fuel dissolved and washed off the coating causing massive internal damage, parents newish petrol 320i started sounding like a diesel that had done 400k, cost BMW a small packet to replace several hundred engines :neutral_face:

Harry Monk:
For many years I worked for a company where we sometimes had a spate of buying fuel up the road on Keyfuels, and sometimes had a spate of buying it at our local Morrisons, and there was absolutely no difference whatsoever in fuel consumption or performance.

Believing that BP fuel is somehow better because it costs more is like believing that Stella Artois is a good beer because it is “reassuringly expensive”.

Still, like they say, “Never give a sucker an even break” :wink:

In a bread and butter run of the mill car I would agree, but with a modern powerful engine there is a difference born out on my Suzuki, it started differently and ran smoother. There were a lot of manufacturer tests proved the same thing, and I think it was Fifth Gear decided that High Performance engines gained an advantage where as standard hairdresser cars were wasting money

When I first started driving back in the mid90’s I noticed my truck always ran better on fuel that I brought in Belgium rather than the UK then I noticed that diesel that I buy in Sweden smells different (don’t laugh) to that in Belgium (less odour in Swedish diesel)

The other thing there’s a shell that I use in holland has seperate truck island nothing unusual in that only that the far pump draws of their V power tank and not the cheaper stuff !! :smiley:

welshboyinspain:
many years ago I used to load a gas tanker on a night run in milford haven and when i was on the pipe loading I used to watch the petrol and diesel tankers come and go.
tesco, asda, morrisons, texaco, elf/fina/total, they all used to load from the same delivery pipes and the same huge tanks as each other and the drivers wouldn’t be adding anything to their trailers in the way of additives or water so i used to think they were all delivering the same stuff

Reminds me of the Duff brewery visit on the Simpsons, were one pipe filled 3x seperate vats; Duff, Duff Premium & Duff Lite :smiley: :smiley:

Anyone want to veer off-topic with the similar “Wetherspoons beer is cheap 'coz it’s almost out of date” load of old cobblers ? :smiley:

GCR2ERF:
Reminds me of the Duff brewery visit on the Simpsons, were one pipe filled 3x seperate vats; Duff, Duff Premium & Duff Lite :smiley: :smiley:

Anyone want to veer off-topic with the similar “Wetherspoons beer is cheap 'coz it’s almost out of date” load of old cobblers ? :smiley:

if you want off-topic and wetherspoons how about this,
there is a bar in Fuengirola owned by a scottish woman called heather so she decided to name the bar heatherspoons, wetherspoons sent her a solicitors letter threatening her if she didn’t change the name :unamused: :unamused:
needless to say she told them in her typical scottish way to do one :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

welshboyinspain:

GCR2ERF:

if you want off-topic and wetherspoons how about this,
there is a bar in Fuengirola owned by a scottish woman called heather so she decided to name the bar heatherspoons, wetherspoons sent her a solicitors letter threatening her if she didn’t change the name :unamused: :unamused:
needless to say she told them in her typical scottish way to do one :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Good gal !!

I currently drive an Asda tanker out of Purfleet, we draw the fuel from Esso and is absolutely no different from what you buy from an Esso garage, this also goes for all of them with the exception of Shell’s V power.

Morrisons draw from Esso, BP (Coryton), and vopak (private storage company, just look left as you go over the Dartford bridge)

Tesco draw from BP, Vopak and rumour has it Esso next year.

Shell draw from BP apart from their V power

Texaco draw from BP, Vopak

Total draw from Vopak

Jet draw fro BP, Vopak and nustar

Tesco’s Momentum, Total’s Excellium and everyone elses Super Unleaded is just that … Super Unleaded

One of my early career paths was as a barman in, what was then, The Railway Inn, in Wembley - A Very Busy Pub. (Now an Indian restaurant)

Our draught bitter was delivered in hogsheads (double the size of a barrel) and each hogshead had two pipes attached. I always made sure that they were in different bars so that each of the four bars had two pumps from different supplies.

If a know-all customer complained about the beer, the barmaid would fetch me. I would apologise profusely and get him another pint from the same source in another bar. It was always ‘much better’ and the happy customer would send the barmaid into the other bar for his beer for the rest of the evening.

Only a few people drank mild and we only had one barrel on at a time. When the bar staff poured out a bottled beer (mostly Guinness and Mackeson) they would drain the dregs left in the bottle into a bucket. I had a big funnel in the air hole of the barrel with a filter paper inside, and all those dregs went in there. By the time the barrel was down to the last few pints it must have been pretty alcoholic. The regulars always complained when I put on a new barrel.

I have no information on whether the drinkers performed better with the additives. 

Santa:
One of my early career paths was as a barman in, what was then, The Railway Inn, in Wembley - A Very Busy Pub. (Now an Indian restaurant)

Our draught bitter was delivered in hogsheads (double the size of a barrel) and each hogshead had two pipes attached. I always made sure that they were in different bars so that each of the four bars had two pumps from different supplies.

If a know-all customer complained about the beer, the barmaid would fetch me. I would apologise profusely and get him another pint from the same source in another bar. It was always ‘much better’ and the happy customer would send the barmaid into the other bar for his beer for the rest of the evening.

Only a few people drank mild and we only had one barrel on at a time. When the bar staff poured out a bottled beer (mostly Guinness and Mackeson) they would drain the dregs left in the bottle into a bucket. I had a big funnel in the air hole of the barrel with a filter paper inside, and all those dregs went in there. By the time the barrel was down to the last few pints it must have been pretty alcoholic. The regulars always complained when I put on a new barrel.

I have no information on whether the drinkers performed better with the additives. 

That reminds me of my early days in a pub with the autovac (bac) system fitted to a Gaskell and Chambers beer engine. Although it isnt actually banned, it’s use is sadly diminished and was the reason Yorkshire Beer was far superior to “that muck served darn sarf”

As a kid we were converted from Wooden Hogsheads to Stone Jars that were filled by tanker, this was the end of the line for the autobac, and my Dad soon had them ripped out again. It was in those days that we had Mild and Bitter and that new fangled lager from abroad was making an appearance. Most of my friends drank Mixed by choice, the rest were drinking Mixed by design :laughing:

Every now and again when I visit a Camra pub or Festival I go back to my roots and ask for Mixed, much to the horror of the weird bearded gentlemen who wear check suits and cardigans!

They say we are tight in yorkshire. I can refute that as a perfect pint for us has at least a 3/8’’ head not that flat brew from South of Watford Gap

There is a yes and no answer to this.
It is correct that the Tesco etc fuel will come from the same refinery as the premium brands, However, what the guy who drives tankers failed to mention is that the spec for low price fuel will not have to same amount of additives which help control anti-knock, detergent etc although it is the same stock, core fuel. When you punch in the load requirement details (or however you sort the load) it will automatically select the additives according to the customers requirements.
I run an old bedford TK 330 and can definitely see, hear and feel the difference between fuel bought of a haulier, supermarket and premium fuel. Shell will get me up hills on the M1 in 5th that have me down to 3rd on cheapo stuff and a lot less smoke too.
Re petrol, I had to rebuild a young lads Aprilia RS 125 twice after it siezed both times. Everything checked out perfect and I was scratching my head until he mentioned he had been buying fuel at a local ‘Spot petroleum’ garage. It was so poor that you could not control the burn correctly and effectively sent the timing crazy, not a good thing on a high performance 2 stroke.

It may not be so noticably on vehicles that are well over-powered, but on vehicles that are running near the limit, it is easily noticed.

ps. If any of you have a Rix (Bio diesel) garage near you, try some of that. Cetane rating 56-60 and burns so clean and strong.

Wheel Nut:

Santa:

That reminds me of my early days in a pub with the autovac (bac) system fitted to a Gaskell and Chambers beer engine. Although it isnt actually banned, it’s use is sadly diminished and was the reason Yorkshire Beer was far superior to “that muck served darn sarf”

As a kid we were converted from Wooden Hogsheads to Stone Jars that were filled by tanker, this was the end of the line for the autobac, and my Dad soon had them ripped out again. It was in those days that we had Mild and Bitter and that new fangled lager from abroad was making an appearance. Most of my friends drank Mixed by choice, the rest were drinking Mixed by design :laughing:

Every now and again when I visit a Camra pub or Festival I go back to my roots and ask for Mixed, much to the horror of the weird bearded gentlemen who wear check suits and cardigans!

They say we are tight in yorkshire. I can refute that as a perfect pint for us has at least a 3/8’’ head not that flat brew from South of Watford Gap

Quite alot off point when I used to be a local in a pub, (marraige and kids stopped that) There was a guy who spent all day and night collecting the glasses and taking them back to the bar. A right scruffy get with terrible breath. He would drink the dregs as he went round and if the barman was in a generous mood would give him a free pint. He would also collect the dog ends in the ashtrays, yes kids you could smoke in the pubs then and make roll-ups with the bits.

Just reading this thread made me think of him!

On the point of the petrol, I understand that BP Ultimate has a cleaning additive that is great for diesel cars but not so good for trucks, as I found out when two injectors blew on 55 plate DAF LF55 and the synopsis was incorrect fuel. The driver used it all the time thinking he was doing the company a favour.

Hiys…there is a differance between supermarket fuel and branded station fuel…the best supermarket
fuel is sainsburys…if you notice there fuel is never as cheap as tesco asda … i run on supermarket diesel
in my motorhome but every now and then stick some shell or Bp super fuel in…there are cleaning
agents that remove carbon build up…yes it works…my brother has his own garage and sometimes
cars go into his place for poor tickover or surging. he’ll ask the customer where they fill up…you guessed
the supermarket. if the car has not alot of fuel in he’ll put some branded fuel in and wizz off into thr country for 10 mins and the cars will settle down… he dose look into the offending area (usually the choke area) where a build up of carbon cloggs a small spring on the sensor. the spring is a sod to get at so the
quality fuel will clean the carbon out with a blast…if you have ever been to shell stanlow next to the refinery
theres a small plant called thornton reserch…that is where they test fuel and make racing fuel for the F1 teams…that place is a total no go area but i was lucky to do a favior for them with my hiab and had a look
around…it was intresting there was engines running at consant revs all wired up like they had a heart attack this was all checking fuel/ cosumption in various tempetures ranging from desert heat down to below freezing. all in rooms that could be tempature controlled and air intake controll to simulate altitude…

3300John:
Hiys…there is a differance between supermarket fuel and branded station fuel…the best supermarket
fuel is sainsburys…if you notice there fuel is never as cheap as tesco asda … i run on supermarket diesel
in my motorhome but every now and then stick some shell or Bp super fuel in…there are cleaning
agents that remove carbon build up…yes it works…my brother has his own garage and sometimes
cars go into his place for poor tickover or surging. he’ll ask the customer where they fill up…you guessed
the supermarket. if the car has not alot of fuel in he’ll put some branded fuel in and wizz off into thr country for 10 mins and the cars will settle down… he dose look into the offending area (usually the choke area) where a build up of carbon cloggs a small spring on the sensor. the spring is a sod to get at so the
quality fuel will clean the carbon out with a blast…if you have ever been to shell stanlow next to the refinery
theres a small plant called thornton reserch…that is where they test fuel and make racing fuel for the F1 teams…that place is a total no go area but i was lucky to do a favior for them with my hiab and had a look
around…it was intresting there was engines running at consant revs all wired up like they had a heart attack this was all checking fuel/ cosumption in various tempetures ranging from desert heat down to below freezing. all in rooms that could be tempature controlled and air intake controll to simulate altitude…

We used to deliver the racing fuel into Thornton, loaded from Shell in Hamburg, it even smelt “stronger” A mate closer to home works for Lubrizol in Derby and his task is to blow engines up :laughing:

Keith will have a budget to buy vehicles, they run the knackers off them on standard oils and fuel, then strip and rebuild them and test their own fuel additives on them, if they survive that, the engineers are allowed to run them as their own whilst still monitoring wear and tear. It is where the manufacturers get their information from for the customer handbooks. The last time I saw him he had just ordered a new GSXR 1000 which sounds like sacriledge, but at least he gets to ride a proper bike next spring