Supermarket Fuel Quality - Split from Fuel Price Thread

Harry Monk:
No fuelcard company is matching the 139.7 ppl which supermarkets are charging at the moment, so I’m just going to fill up at Asda etc from now on.

Can’t believe some of you guys fill at supermarkets the diesel is poor grade and bad for your engines.
For example when you need some new tyres would you just buy the cheapest thinking they do the same job as a more expensive brand? Doubt full as you would probably realise the cheaper tyres wouldn’t last as long.

When you buy oil, do you buy the cheapest? I certainly wouldn’t put ASDA’s own brand oil in my vehicle cause I know it’s rubbish. :angry:

Recently one of my customers draw some derv from Morrisons (part of the Keyfuels network) and sent it off to be tested. The tests came back advising it was poor grade and scania explained this type of derv would affect their warranty because the derv was not good enough for the engine!

I hear the same response every time “the derv all comes from the same hole in the ground” true but BP, Esso & Shell add additives to make the derv more efficient and look after your engines. :smiley:

Bunkercard - Mark:

Harry Monk:
No fuelcard company is matching the 139.7 ppl which supermarkets are charging at the moment, so I’m just going to fill up at Asda etc from now on.

Can’t believe some of you guys fill at supermarkets the diesel is poor grade and bad for your engines.
For example when you need some new tyres would you just buy the cheapest thinking they do the same job as a more expensive brand? Doubt full as you would probably realise the cheaper tyres wouldn’t last as long.

When you buy oil, do you buy the cheapest? I certainly wouldn’t put ASDA’s own brand oil in my vehicle cause I know it’s rubbish. :angry:

Recently one of my customers draw some derv from Morrisons (part of the Keyfuels network) and sent it off to be tested. The tests came back advising it was poor grade and scania explained this type of derv would affect their warranty because the derv was not good enough for the engine!

I hear the same response every time “the derv all comes from the same hole in the ground” true but BP, Esso & Shell add additives to make the derv more efficient and look after your engines. :smiley:

I’m not doubting the low quality of supermarket diesel, but at some garages we have to use a different pump when you fill up on a key fuels or uk fuels card than the pump you use if you have a branded card. My guess is those pumps are connected to different tanks as there’s usually an overground tank nearby , I also guess the diesel is minimum spec stuff in there too !

Bunkercard - Mark:

I thought it was a legal requirement for all DERV sold in this country to meet a minimum standard, and that truck makers build their trucks engines based on this standard.

So are you saying that the fuel that was tested did not meet the legal standard? If so I hope he reported Morrison’s to trading standards to get that problem rectified.

Paul

Bunkercard - Mark:

Harry Monk:

From your user name I presume you work for a bunker card company, so could I just ask why your company has so many supermarket filling stations in its network then? :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Denis F:
I’m not doubting the low quality of supermarket diesel, but at some garages we have to use a different pump when you fill up on a key fuels or uk fuels card than the pump you use if you have a branded card. My guess is those pumps are connected to different tanks as there’s usually an overground tank nearby , I also guess the diesel is minimum spec stuff in there too !

That is my assumption too, the fact that you have a dedicated pump clearly shows that it is different fuel and it’s certainly not going to be the case that the stuff that comes out of the KeyFuels pump is better quality that the Shell/BP/whatever pump next to it…

Paul

Q: Is it true that the fuel sold at supermarket petrol stations is not of the same quality as that as you would buy from a dedicated petrol station?
Alex Wells

A: According to the Petrol Retailers Association, there is no difference between the standard petrol you buy from supermarkets or franchised petrol stations. In most cases the petrol and diesel is even produced at the same refinery and delivered in the same trucks.

repton:

Denis F:

That is my assumption too, the fact that you have a dedicated pump clearly shows that it is different fuel and it’s certainly not going to be the case that the stuff that comes out of the KeyFuels pump is better quality that the Shell/BP/whatever pump next to it…

Paul

Like you say there is a separate pump however if you had a car/van then you could use the pumps under the canopy with a key or uk card so it’s the same product i.e. your buying Morrison’s fuel. When you think that these supermarkets can also knock off a further 10ppl for shopping there it does make you wonder.

The Morrison’s station was reported but it does still keep happening at other sites on their network. Like I stated in the last post it does come from the same hole in the ground. There are roughly 10-20 different oil companies that put derv into the key/uk fuels network and they probably are from the same refinery and delivered in the same trucks however BP and Shell have their own refinery’s and tankers they add additives to their derv which is the only difference.

Yes I work for a fuel company and I can offer the uk/key card but 90% of my customer base is on BP. Recently one of my larger customers that changed from key to BP noticed a 2.1% mpg improvement which is what a 1.5ppl saving!

It has been proven, BP have done tests and they have documents stating the expected mgp improvement.

repton:

Denis F:

Paul

The reason it’s on a separate pump and tank is because the fuel doesn’t belong to the garage you are filling up at, they only provide the means to deliver it.
Bunkered fuel is just that, it’s fuel that has been put into the system by haulage companies for them to use, and it’s bought by the tanker load at a time.
And that fuel can be put into the system any were in the uk.
The fuel company will also put fuel into the system for smaller haulage companies to use.

Did one of the truck stops/ fuel places, lymm? use to have a pump for BP and other pumps for other cards. Often wondered on fuel quality when you go some where with a different tank for fuel cards.

My boss says, when i fill up at a garage that does keyfuels, it costs him more than filling up at a bunker depot, like m6fuels or runcorn

I thought, having the card, he would pay same price for it wherever i draw it from.

the other week i filled at brierly hill, i think it was a jet station, and i could of used any pump, so the dedicated pump and poor quality fuel, goes out the window there, either its all good or poor quality for every user

regards tonyb

The only thing I bother about when buying diesel is price and will the lorry fit under the canopy.

I have noticed in the past that if you fill up at Chippenham a lot, you get all this black gunk swimming around in the tank before long but I’ve always put that down to poor storage conditions on site.

tonyb70:
My boss says, when i fill up at a garage that does keyfuels, it costs him more than filling up at a bunker depot, like m6fuels or runcorn

I thought, having the card, he would pay same price for it wherever i draw it from.

Your boss needs to change fuelcard supplier then, as mine is the same price everywhere.

Paul

Harry Monk:
I have noticed in the past that if you fill up at Chippenham a lot, you get all this black gunk swimming around in the tank before long but I’ve always put that down to poor storage conditions on site.

Is that the hideaway? (Silveys that run that are oil suppliers, might have changed hands actually)

There’s truck pumps at the Murco few hundred yards up the Cirencester exit I always use.

I reckon truck stops are probably the most likely candidates if you’re going to find poor quality diesel anywhere, didn’t one get busted for mixing kerosene in or something?

Own Account Driver:

I reckon truck stops are probably the most likely candidates if you’re going to find poor quality diesel anywhere, didn’t one get busted for mixing kerosene in or something?

217,000 litres of highly adulterated road diesel have been seized from a truck stop filling station at Junction 13 of the M1 by HM Revenue & Customs’ (HMRC) officers.
Early indications suggest that highly combustible kerosene, which has a lower duty rate than road diesel, had been added to legitimate diesel in a process known as ‘stretching’.
The illicit fuel was detected by HMRC Road Fuel Testing officers at Junction 13 (Northbound) on the Buckinghamshire/Bedfordshire border on Wednesday 18 May. All eight road diesel fuel pumps were immediately sealed off and the contaminated fuel removed from the site in nine tankers to be destroyed.

Own Account Driver:
The only thing I bother about when buying diesel is price and will the lorry fit under the canopy.

I am with you, i usually use shell, as there forcourt price is on a par, if not cheaper than most supermarkets.

I avoid fuelcard companies like the plague, there prices, in my experience, are almost always dearer than forcourt prices, and one particular company, that a mate and myself were with, gave us different prices every week, and we were virtually using the same amount, week in, week out, WTF!!

Going off at a slight tangent, out of interest would anyone care to take a guess at what sort of ppl price somebody like Stobart would be paying for diesel delivered in to a depot by the tanker-load?

Stobart and all the bigger companies will be paying MUCH less than the likes of you and I, matey. In Stobarts case, the deal will be even better as they tend to buy the stuff “ex depot” and collect it in their own tanker.
Incidentally, anyone running a medium-to-large haulage company will be able to negotiate quite a good deal with Shell, including the uise of their own fuel card. Not as cheap as the supermarkets, but you’ll be getting the best fuel at a cheaper price with plenty of outlets. Your drivers will be able to collect Drivers Club Points, too, which is quite handy.

So please tell me what the differenace is in Derv at Supermarkets & other private filling stations, Its being quoted on here that it is a lower grade of fuel, How lower is it I run a 2.2 190 B/H Motor car, so if this lower grade fuel as it has been stated on this thread is no good , How in the hell do I get 51 MPG, On derv I get from Tescos or Morrisons ■■?< Low Grade High Grade whats the bloody difference, I will tell you what I think Its the price that suits ones pocket, The only fuel I was told not to use was the BIO stuff because the engine in me Jaguar was not designed to run on such fuel. Regards Larry

tonyb70:

the other week i filled at brierly hill, i think it was a jet station, and i could of used any pump, so the dedicated pump and poor quality fuel, goes out the window there, either its all good or poor quality for every user

regards tonyb

that could be due too a higher handeling charge that the fuel station owner charges and it is always worth remembering that some garages will charge pump price not the price you get giving on text/email/fax each week so it always worth asking your fuel supplier for a list of the fuel stations that do this