Supermarket Fuel Quality - Split from Fuel Price Thread

Lawrence Dunbar:
So please tell me what the differenace is in Derv at Supermarkets & other private filling stations, Its being quoted on here that it is a lower grade of fuel, How lower is it I run a 2.2 190 B/H Motor car, so if this lower grade fuel as it has been stated on this thread is no good , How in the hell do I get 51 MPG, On derv I get from Tescos or Morrisons ■■?< Low Grade High Grade whats the bloody difference, I will tell you what I think Its the price that suits ones pocket, The only fuel I was told not to use was the BIO stuff because the engine in me Jaguar was not designed to run on such fuel. Regards Larry

Hi, Larry,
I think you’ll find that, by law, ALL fuels now have to contain a proportion of Bio.
Without researching the subject, I don’t have a clue how much that proportion is, but you can bet your life that it will rise a bit at least every couple of years in order to appease the “greenies”. Just how long it will be before it starts affecting your tyre-squealing tarmac-eating bullet is anyone’s guess! Best make plans for fitting that spare P6 you’ve got lurking in the undergrowth.

Retired Old ■■■■:
Incidentally, anyone running a medium-to-large haulage company will be able to negotiate quite a good deal with Shell, including the uise of their own fuel card. Not as cheap as the supermarkets, but you’ll be getting the best fuel at a cheaper price with plenty of outlets. Your drivers will be able to collect Drivers Club Points, too, which is quite handy.

Not any more, they stopped that a couple of years ago :neutral_face:

Big Joe:

Retired Old ■■■■:
Incidentally, anyone running a medium-to-large haulage company will be able to negotiate quite a good deal with Shell, including the uise of their own fuel card. Not as cheap as the supermarkets, but you’ll be getting the best fuel at a cheaper price with plenty of outlets. Your drivers will be able to collect Drivers Club Points, too, which is quite handy.

We all still collect the points, Joe. We’re on Euroshell :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Big Joe:

Retired Old ■■■■:

You can still get Shell Driver’s Club points at a lot of places fuelling up on a Shell bunker card, Fleet services on the M3, Sparkford and Okehampton being just three off of the top of my head that I’ve used in the last month.

Retired Old ■■■■:
Stobart and all the bigger companies will be paying MUCH less than the likes of you and I, matey. In Stobarts case, the deal will be even better as they tend to buy the stuff “ex depot” and collect it in their own tanker.

I think you’ll find that Stobarts hedge fuel by the ship load on the futures market. What they’re using today will have been bought a year or 2 ago.

billybigrig:

Big Joe:

Retired Old ■■■■:

We all still collect the points, Joe. We’re on Euroshell :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I’ve got a Euroshell card and I’m getting points too.

Paul

repton:

billybigrig:

Big Joe:

Retired Old ■■■■:

Paul

No points on my Shell cards :frowning:

and no Nectar points with my BP cards :cry:

Denis F:

If you go anywhere other than usual always ask, some places will give them*, though I believe they’re not supposed to. Not all staff know that :wink: At least that was the case a few years anyway.

• Though come to think of it, that was with a RED fuel card, not an actual BP card.

Denis F:

repton:

billybigrig:

Big Joe:

Retired Old ■■■■:

Paul

No points on my Shell cards :frowning:

Must be to do with different accounts then, as a guy at a Shell garage explained to me that they weren’t supposed to award points for fuel bought with cards starting with a certain number but they normally ignored it, but when his station had their till equipment updated, points against theses accounts were automatically declined :frowning:

Big Joe:
Must be to do with different accounts then, as a guy at a Shell garage explained to me that they weren’t supposed to award points for fuel bought with cards starting with a certain number but they normally ignored it, but when his station had their till equipment updated, points against theses accounts were automatically declined :frowning:

There certainly must be some difference.

I’ve just pulled a random fuel receipt out of the folder I have and mine says it’s a “Euroshell Fleet (UK Issued)”, and the card number starts 7002. It also says lower down on the receipt “Loyalty Points have been awarded on this transaction.”

Paul

Bunkercard - Mark:
Can’t believe some of you guys fill at supermarkets the diesel is poor grade and bad for your engines.
For example when you need some new tyres would you just buy the cheapest thinking they do the same job as a more expensive brand? Doubt full as you would probably realise the cheaper tyres wouldn’t last as long.

When you buy oil, do you buy the cheapest? I certainly wouldn’t put ASDA’s own brand oil in my vehicle cause I know it’s rubbish. :angry:

Recently one of my customers draw some derv from Morrisons (part of the Keyfuels network) and sent it off to be tested. The tests came back advising it was poor grade and scania explained this type of derv would affect their warranty because the derv was not good enough for the engine!

I hear the same response every time “the derv all comes from the same hole in the ground” true but BP, Esso & Shell add additives to make the derv more efficient and look after your engines. :smiley:

I’m sorry but this is up there with some of the biggest load of ■■■■■ I have read on here.

Fuel in the UK is manufactured to a standard BS EN 590, so claims that the supermarket fuel is of a lower standard etc is ■■■■■■■■.
It may not have the additives the marketing guys at the big brands add, but will make no difference to how a truck runs.

Tell me which refinery do the supermarkets get their fuel from as you clearly believe it is a different one to all the others.

Lawrence Dunbar:
So please tell me what the differenace is in Derv at Supermarkets & other private filling stations, Its being quoted on here that it is a lower grade of fuel, How lower is it I run a 2.2 190 B/H Motor car, so if this lower grade fuel as it has been stated on this thread is no good , How in the hell do I get 51 MPG, On derv I get from Tescos or Morrisons ■■?< Low Grade High Grade whats the bloody difference, I will tell you what I think Its the price that suits ones pocket, The only fuel I was told not to use was the BIO stuff because the engine in me Jaguar was not designed to run on such fuel. Regards Larry

Hi Larry,

Nice to hear your getting 51 MPG from supermarket fuel. You obviously believe their is no difference but have you actually filled up with BP or Shell derv then compared the MPG? :unamused:

repton:

Big Joe:

I’ve just pulled a random fuel receipt out of the folder I have and mine says it’s a “Euroshell Fleet (UK Issued)”, and the card number starts 7002. It also says lower down on the receipt “Loyalty Points have been awarded on this transaction.”

Paul

Must be something like that. Without fail, every place I fuel up in the UK asks me for my points card :open_mouth: Even the one near you Joe :smiley:

billybigrig:

repton:

Big Joe:

Paul

Must be something like that. Without fail, every place I fuel up in the UK asks me for my points card :open_mouth: Even the one near you Joe :smiley:

My shell cards begin with 7055, there’s signs in some shell places that say no points will be issued for cards that start with that !

Eta,
Interestingly google informs me that :-

[“CRT Card” means a Card issued for a heavy vehicle which bears an issuer code 7055.]

[“Fleet Card” means a Card issued for a light vehicle or passenger car which bears an issuer code 7002.]

Mine starts with 7055, they give me points at Shell, Okehampton where you go off for the A386 Tavistock road, and it’s normally the cheapest Shell site between Kent and Cornwall.

del trotter:

Bunkercard - Mark:
Can’t believe some of you guys fill at supermarkets the diesel is poor grade and bad for your engines.
For example when you need some new tyres would you just buy the cheapest thinking they do the same job as a more expensive brand? Doubt full as you would probably realise the cheaper tyres wouldn’t last as long.

When you buy oil, do you buy the cheapest? I certainly wouldn’t put ASDA’s own brand oil in my vehicle cause I know it’s rubbish. :angry:

Recently one of my customers draw some derv from Morrisons (part of the Keyfuels network) and sent it off to be tested. The tests came back advising it was poor grade and scania explained this type of derv would affect their warranty because the derv was not good enough for the engine!

I hear the same response every time “the derv all comes from the same hole in the ground” true but BP, Esso & Shell add additives to make the derv more efficient and look after your engines. :smiley:

I’m sorry but this is up there with some of the biggest load of [zb] I have read on here.

Fuel in the UK is manufactured to a standard BS EN 590, so claims that the supermarket fuel is of a lower standard etc is ■■■■■■■■.
It may not have the additives the marketing guys at the big brands add, but will make no difference to how a truck runs.

Tell me which refinery do the supermarkets get their fuel from as you clearly believe it is a different one to all the others.

All fuels come from the same refinery (s) and are essentially the same, the difference is in the additives.
Each type of fuel is kept in the separate brands at the terminal, they don’t have special tanks for fuel destined for supermarkets.

The tankers are filled from the appropriate tanks regardless of their destination but the additives are added before the tanker leaves the depot. All fuels have additives included the difference is that the branded fuel has additives that enhance the performance and the supermarket fuel has additives to make it cheaper. Mineral oil is often added to diesel fuel for example. There is a maximum level of contamination of mineral oil permitted and the supermarkets regard this as a standard and not a maximum.