Super professional driver

i live on a small estate adjacent to an industrial estate . we often get heavy goods trucks who missed the turning , but manage to turn in the t junction and get out . saturday evening was different , a 7.5 ton merc box van thought it was quite ok not to bother going an extra 25 yards to turn , so he reversed onto my front lawn to make a 3 point turn . registration number clearly visible as was the phone number . i think his boss and i will be having quite an interesting conversation in the morning .

Unless you have photographic evidence of him on your lawn he will just deny it.

Send the company an invoice for the repair of the lawn

ckm1981:
Unless you have photographic evidence of him on your lawn he will just deny it.

or any impartial witnesses. You’re going to be relying on the driver admitting it, or the company accepting your story…they might just do that in the interest of good customer relations. I wouldn’t bet on it, though.

A fowlers Lorry reversed on my neighbours front lawn. He complained and they offered him someone to put it right or 100 quid. Which was fair

What are the odds that a person would have the details of the vehicle as well as the exact date and time when this was done?

If its a large-ish amount to fix then small claims court might be the way to go if the company does not play ball

The company should know roughly where he was at that time which should pinpoint him, take a photo of the damage and measure the width between the wheels

He may have a conscience and reported to his boss when he got back, but also if that was the case maybe he could of knocked your door to say sorry :unamused: :unamused:

this happened to a pal of mine,
He had CCTV, but better still, the driver got set & had to all his depot for another driver to come & pull him off

The said van reversed within 10feet of my front window in good light , there being two of us in the room . The number plate was clearly visible from which I found it parked on the industrial estate . I have no problem with lorries , having retired after 42 years driving them , but I do have a problem with idiots . As to photographic evidence , the wheel tracks won’t be going away anytime soon .

ROG:
What are the odds that a person would have the details of the vehicle as well as the exact date and time when this was done?

If its a large-ish amount to fix then small claims court might be the way to go if the company does not play ball

The small claims court will still require proof of some sort, surely? The fact that the vehicle was in the area at the time doesn’t prove that the driver caused the damage. The company could argue that the damage was done by someone earlier, and the claimant is just trying to pin the blame on anyone to avoid paying for the damage himself.

ROG:

There are scammers around who’d get the details of a truck and try and claim.
or in the case that happened to me a few years back I got accused of knocking a wall down at a premises I’d delivered to. It took them a week to contact the company and as I told my boss, I realised it was tight but that had more to do with the 2 expensive cars parked in front of said wall, so I got one of their staff to watch me out.
I’d bet one of their truck knocked the wall down and they tried to claim off my boss, it didn’t work that time.

Toddy2:
He had CCTV, but better still, the driver got set & had to all his depot for another driver to come & pull him off

Lucky bloke :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

sayersy:

ROG:

The small claims court will still require proof of some sort, surely? The fact that the vehicle was in the area at the time doesn’t prove that the driver caused the damage. The company could argue that the damage was done by someone earlier, and the claimant is just trying to pin the blame on anyone to avoid paying for the damage himself.

Civil courts do not need beyond reasonable doubt but go on what is common sense and reasonable

This is Buxton we are talking about ,they don’t do complaining ,just an eye for an eye .

ROG:

sayersy:

ROG:

Civil courts do not need beyond reasonable doubt but go on what is common sense and reasonable

The burden of proof in civil courts is on balance of probabilities, but I don’t think one mans word against another is enough. The OP should consider making a complaint to the police. I don’t think they would pursue it very rigorously, but it would add weight to any civil claim.

If there were two of you in the room, it wouldnt have taken long to grab a phone and take photos, its no good relying on tyre marks or track width, as all mercs, fords, ivecos are the same width in any situation, just different bodies.

I worked for Serco as a Forman on the bins for a year (couldn’t get away quick enough) & some of they’re drivers wouldn’t think twice about driving across people’s lawns & grass verges.
I remember one case of destroying the verge opposite a house, we fixed it & the next Neanderthal (knuckles scraping the ground) drove over it 2 weeks later, the house owner went Ballistic ! (couldn’t blame him really)
Makes me wonder how these Numpties obtain they’re licences ■■?

rigsby:
The said van reversed within 10feet of my front window in good light , there being two of us in the room . The number plate was clearly visible from which I found it parked on the industrial estate . I have no problem with lorries , having retired after 42 years driving them , but I do have a problem with idiots . As to photographic evidence , the wheel tracks won’t be going away anytime soon .

Yes but did you get a photo of the truck in situ on your lawn? You can take photos of the damage afterwards until the cows come home but if the driver denies it and the company don’t feel inclined then it will be your word against theirs. As drivers we all know fraud goes on where chancers report random trucks for things hoping to cash in and while no one is saying you’re making this up, the company who own the truck don’t know that. Anything less than a photo or witnesses could just look like you went down to the industrial estate and took down the details of the first thing that “could” have been responsible.

Any way, I hope it works out for you, do let us know what the company say.

:laughing: :unamused: :laughing:

BIG AW:

Toddy2:

Lucky bloke :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: