Summoned by vosa?

Smoggie89:
Also forgot to add they are under caution aswell

Interview under caution is basically where you (not you personally but them) hang yourself with what you say. Cherry picking what you answer is not an option as if you do not answer an awkward question then a negative inference can be drawn, so best not to answer any !! Even your name. Better still, decline the interview and let them charge if they’re going to. Then they’ll know exactly what they’re up against. One things for sure, by opening their mouths now they won’t make anything easier for themselves, only for any potential prosecution to go ahead. And i’ll tell you what won’t happen when/if they go for interview…“oh, right we’ve listened to everything you’ve had to say, we understand. Yeah no prob, there will be no charges.”

I know a certain spud haulier near where my Sister lives in East Anglia is going through the mill under various allegations.

hkloss1:
Can VOSA discover it at all? and if so, how?

Yep, they can ask you to account for the missing mileage, and you’ll help them out and tell them you drove with no card :laughing:

Or you blame it on the garage staff driving it whilst it was being repaired and deny all knowledge.

And maybe delete the post where you admitted it.

Freight Dog:
I know a certain spud haulier near where my Sister lives in East Anglia is going through the mill under various allegations.

Would they be in the Lincolnshire part of the Fens, otherwise there’s more than one spud haulier being given the fine tooth combe treatment :wink: in East Anglia :wink:

Mike-C:

hkloss1:

Yep, they can ask you to account for the missing mileage, and you’ll help them out and tell them you drove with no card :laughing:

I agree with Mike on this Fess up, if asked.

Actually next time you’ve got your card in, go to print menu, select the date this ■■■■ up happened, and do a print out, write on it what happened and keep it to hand, that was genuine mistake(well sounds like it)so don’t try and BS around it if you get asked. If you get asked why you didn’t do a print out on the day, just say you took some advice :wink:

hkloss1:
this thread got me a bit worried.

A few weeks ago after driving for 4 hrs I was told to go to the nearest dealer and have my lorry repaired.
I took a 45 mins break before getting there, got there, and was told to pull out my card before I hand the keys over, so I did.
After a couple of hours the lorry was repaired , keys handed back to me and off I went.
While being on the road, I realized I forgot to insert my digicard in, but there was no where to stop immediately, so had to drive for another 1 mile, stopped and inserted the card in.
so, I drove for about 3 miles without my card inserted.
How long before the mistake is being erased from the records?
Is this a serious offence, and what can VOSA do to me for this?

Yes, a VU download will show any driving without a card.

Events will show stuff like card inserted whilst driving, so blaming the garage will fall foul.

Be honest, as we ( Police and DVSA) can see how long you were driving before and after the event

Did the big RED warning on the dash and the flashing of the tacho the instant you moved not alert you to the fact that something may just be amiss?

hkloss1:
"

So, the questions not answered yet, are:

1. How long before the mistake is being erased from the records?
  2. Is this a serious offence, and what can VOSA do to me for this?
  1. dependant on the amount of driving you, mode changes etc several months before the data on your card is overwritten. In realistic terms, after 28 days I won’t worry about it.

2. If it was an honest mistake and you have the print out made that day with an explanation on it, it will probably be accepted as such, However that is my view and another Police/DVSA pfficeray take a different view.

hkloss1:

So, the questions not answered yet, are:

1. How long before the mistake is being erased from the records?
  2. Is this a serious offence, and what can VOSA do to me for this?

Couldn’t tell you mate, but I would assume that when the TM/Fleet Manager downloads the VU approx. every 6 weeks, it will then go onto the fleet computer log, or however the data is stored, I believe they will have to keep that for a year at least.
I’ve recently replaced my digi card, but my old digi card was showing a fault that occurred on a truck I stopped driving in 2012. so they can hold a lot off data before they over write themselves, I would think the VU would be similar.

hkloss1:
"Actually next time you’ve got your card in, go to print menu, select the date this ■■■■ up happened, and do a print out, write on it "
Did it straight away, and have the print out with me.
?

Well you did the best thing, I reckon if you’ve got a good record regards driving hours, then you’d probably be ok :wink:

I’m led to believe some VOSA are human :wink:

Traffic Rat:

1. dependant on the amount of driving you, mode changes etc several months before the data on your card is overwritten. .

How about 2 and a half years :open_mouth: and I do lots off driving mode changes, and the truck was at my previous employer :wink:

eddie snax:

Traffic Rat:

1. dependant on the amount of driving you, mode changes etc several months before the data on your card is overwritten. .

How about 2 and a half years :open_mouth: and I do lots off driving mode changes, and the truck was at my previous employer :wink:

The 5 (I think) most recent fault events are always retained on the card, and will show on any printout even though the driving/activity data for the same period may have long since been overwritten - So your current card could show events such as power interruptions, card faults etc that occurred as much as five years ago. To see how old the activity data on your own card is, just press the buttons for a 24hr printout and see how far back you can wind the date display.

It won’t be on his card though, it’s on the unit, as his card wasn’t in, so nothing can point directly to him unless he admits it. He has the print out, so that’s all he needs.

Roymondo:

eddie snax:

Traffic Rat:

The 5 (I think) most recent fault events are always retained on the card, and will show on any printout even though the driving/activity data for the same period may have long since been overwritten - So your current card could show events such as power interruptions, card faults etc that occurred as much as five years ago. To see how old the activity data on your own card is, just press the buttons for a 24hr printout and see how far back you can wind the date display.

It would clever to go back 5 yrs, it didn’t go live til October this year. but thanks for that info on the fault events :wink:

109LWB:
It won’t be on his card though, it’s on the unit, as his card wasn’t in, so nothing can point directly to him unless he admits it. He has the print out, so that’s all he needs.

Apart from his card having been used directly either side off the event, which proves nothing, but points in a general direction. I think honesty is the best policy for this time :wink:

hkloss1:
this thread got me a bit worried.

I’d be worried too. If it was me, I’d be destroying my card and burning the lorry out.

^^^ I can see it now !he’d soak it in petrol ,have one last ■■■■ on that ■■■ !and boom !just like on the movies !!!

eddie snax:

109LWB:

Apart from his card having been used directly either side off the event, which proves nothing, but points in a general direction. I think honesty is the best policy for this time :wink:

But it wasn’t, not they way I read it. He drove with the card in, pulled card when he arrived at dealership for repair and left it for a few hours. Then drove it from dealership, stopped a few miles away and Inserted card. It could quite easily have been a Mechanic driving it at the dealership and the poster didn’t start driving until his card was inserted picking it up again. They could never prove otherwise, except for these posts and the fact the poster admitted it. Even so, it’s hardly crime of the century, just tell them what happened and deal with the consequences, which will likely be nothing, maybe a verbal warning to be more careful.