Suicide.....knob

So, I’ve been driving class 1 for a couple of weeks now, it’s going well and slowly getting to grips with reversing. Was asking another driver any advice and tips the other day and he said a suicide knob might help with manoeuvring, I thought he was extracting urine, but then he showed me what he meant. So my question is, would any of you guys recommend getting one?

Cheers!

Knob for a nob is my sentiment but if it helps then why not use it?!?!

I hate them, great for shunters but I ended up with bruised wrists. :cry:

I personally hate the things, they just get in the way for the majority of your driving and to be honest just reverse slower so you shouldn’t need to turn the wheel at 65 mph :grimacing:

Makes it easier to turn the wheel, doesn’t make it easier to reverse.

my thoughts are if you need one of these get a JOB DRIVING A FORKLIFT

I was expecting you hear about someone stuck on the M1 for hours while there was a bridge jumper :slight_smile:

Just another knob in the way…you get one free if you buy the wallet on a chain ! :laughing:

FarnboroughBoy11:
I was expecting you hear about someone stuck on the M1 for hours while there was a bridge jumper :slight_smile:

That was my first thought too :unamused:

Thanks guys, the idea has just been binned, never been one to rely on a knob anyway:mrgreen:

Harry Kyng:
I hate them, great for shunters but I ended up with bruised wrists. :cry:

ditto. i hate them. the palm of the hand does a better job

I didnt think they were legal - but then I often dream with the fairies. I wouldnt want to slam into one on a steering wheel in a serious accident.

I seem to be in the minority but am pro knob :smiley:
That said the can tempt you to over steer and over correct when reversing.
There good ones and bad ones, i like the ones with a bearing in.

if you need one of those for your reversing then thats your problem , you’re doing far too much steering .

the biggest problem anyone has is over doing it with the steering wheel , if you’re doing it right you’ll be supprised just how little steering wheel input you need , difficult thing to explain but thats you problem .

They’re a very Continental Idea that came to the UK In the eighties…

Good for short-haul work with lots of reversing, but nothing else…

bowser:
if you need one of those for your reversing then thats your problem , you’re doing far too much steering.

Definitely was oversteering and still am a bit, but the more reversing I do, I find myself oversteering less. Last week needed 3 shunts to get into a yard, same yard today and only one shunt:-D

it’ll click one day and you’ll realise that too much steering input is a massive problem , your start point it the key to good reversing .

all you need is a good start point and an angle between tractor and trailer , you’ll get far more reaction from your trailer with your steered wheels in the straight ahead position provided you have a good start point and some angle on it . you shouldnt need much more than the odd twitch on the steering to change the trailers direction if you’ve done it right . the largest movement on the steering should be to line them both up again .

its the hardest thing to explain but when the penny drops you’ll have it .

and ffs slow down you’ll never be as fast as a good shunter for several reasons .

k21pilot:

bowser:
if you need one of those for your reversing then thats your problem , you’re doing far too much steering.

Definitely was oversteering and still am a bit, but the more reversing I do, I find myself oversteering less. Last week needed 3 shunts to get into a yard, same yard today and only one shunt:-D

you will get it sooner or later , you’ll still have bad ones and you’ll still make mistakes but it’ll come .

Those knobs should be illegal to use on public roads in my opinion, apart from that they cause damage to the steering wheel.

tachograph:
Those knobs should be illegal to use on public roads in my opinion, apart from that they cause damage to the steering wheel.

they are a pain , i had to put up with one when i was night trunking because the day driver used one . the problem i had was i either grabbed hold of it and used it or it got in the way … horrible things .