Suicide.....knob

can you get left handed ones coz one of my driver is a right hande w****er

tachograph:
Those knobs should be illegal to use on public roads in my opinion, apart from that they cause damage to the steering wheel.

I’ve heard that they are illegal, but can’t find anything to say if they are or not. I imagine though that they would be considered a vehicle modification and that your insurance company would have to be informed if you fitted one.

Harry Monk:

tachograph:
Those knobs should be illegal to use on public roads in my opinion, apart from that they cause damage to the steering wheel.

I’ve heard that they are illegal, but can’t find anything to say if they are or not. I imagine though that they would be considered a vehicle modification and that your insurance company would have to be informed if you fitted one.

i don’t think that they are ‘illegal’ as such, but, i was always advised to remove it before the vehicle goes from MoT

also, as has already been said, they damage the steering wheel, which can also cause an MoT failure

Probably has to be removed for an MOT…so therefore probably illegal?

I cannot see the point of one , in this day and age.
What with power steering an all.

Suicide knob?

I always thought they were called spaz knobs - with good reason.

They’re definitely not illegal as they are supplied as driving aids for drivers with only one arm or other mobility problems. They were banned from companies I’ve worked for as (1) they can damage the steering wheel, which can cause issues at MOT time, and (2) there’s the old H&S tale of drivers who used them on quarry work or suchlike where it was possible, if the wheel went down a rut or whatever it could spin the steering wheel around and break the drivers hand/thumb/wrist (delete as appropriate).

I wouldn’t have one, you’ll pickup your reversing without that given time.

BB

Shunting sure, as a daily driver never, hate the bloody things and banged my wrists and hands numerous times on the horrible things when having to drive a waggon fitted with one, besides the trick to getting good at reversing is to use as little steering corrections as possible.

bowser:
if you need one of those for your reversing then thats your problem , you’re doing far too much steering .

the biggest problem anyone has is over doing it with the steering wheel , if you’re doing it right you’ll be supprised just how little steering wheel input you need , difficult thing to explain but thats you problem .

Finally someone talking sense… I couldn’t have put it better myself…

Yep, steering wheel spinners are just a complete and total affectation, same as naked chrome ladies on the grille. I doubt I ever turn the steering wheel more than three-quarters of a turn when I’m reversing, no matter how tight the reverse.

They are a fashion accessory which, like all fashion accessories, is of absolutely no practical use whatsoever.

Nothing wrong with them.I have driven cars and vans with them clocking 900,000 miles and never had a problem. Would have used them when I drove lorries if I had known how useful they are.

One of our driver’s fitted one on his Foden eight wheeler and I hated it! Only drove it for two days but got ■■■■■■ off banging my wrist on the thing, it seems that if they are fitted it is less painful to use it than to try and avoid the blooming thing! :confused:

Pete.

Very useful bit of kit, but they do need to be fitted in the right place on the wheel.

When at P&O Ferrymasters sometimes I’d get the same unit a few consecutive weekends that did have one, then one without, really missed it. Would definitely have one on if ever had my own motor again.

Never heard it called a suicide knob though.

I hate them! Only driven one lorry with one fitted and just gets in the way!

If they were useful surely vehicle manufacturers would fit them as standard but as they don’t I’m guessing they think they are useless too.

You can’t beat a Mk 1 palm - either one works.

I bought a 5t Daily with one fitted, it lasted a day…before I consigned it to oblivion on the floor at the back of the cab.

They can damage steering wheels as well as your fingers, wrists etc.

TBH I think you will find mostly the older school drivers who like them, because they are used to them from the days when they made a difference when trucks had slower steering ratios and worse power steering, then you have the tacky hero brigade who just have them because they think it makes them look like hard ball truckers.

I think they should be consigned to the history books and forklift trucks personally, but each to their own eh :wink:

bowser:
if you need one of those for your reversing then thats your problem , you’re doing far too much steering .

the biggest problem anyone has is over doing it with the steering wheel , if you’re doing it right you’ll be supprised just how little steering wheel input you need , difficult thing to explain but thats you problem .

See some drivers and they always remind me of this and they probably need the knob, a bit of spit on the palm of the hand does the trick.youtu.be/mROOk74jV24

Phantom Mark:
TBH I think you will find mostly the older school drivers who like them, because they are used to them from the days when they made a difference when trucks had slower steering ratios and worse power steering, then you have the tacky hero brigade who just have them because they think it makes them look like hard ball truckers.

I think they should be consigned to the history books and forklift trucks personally, but each to their own eh :wink:

Hardball truckers A.K.A 5 minute veterans :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

yup those are the ones :laughing: