Suicidal Pheasants

It must be the time off the year where their hormones are awry and they decide to show off by trying to fly as close as possible to truck while crossing road. I got 4 of the flamers in separate places going south on A34 :frowning: No damage to truck but 1 of them made hell of a bang when it hit.

yeah got to agree they seem to have a death wish.its as though they think wev are trying to come into there domain and are trying to fight us off. wish they would stop makes hell of a mess to front of wagon.

i had a few of them this year.
the worse one however was a pidgeon that flew into my offside mirror .
my window was open(middle of summer)and the ruddy thing exploded all over my face. :frowning: .blood and guts everywhere.

Last year two work colleagues were out on their motorbikes and a pheasant hit the first one in the helmet (caused him to come off) and the second bike crashed into him, killing them both.

I guess i’d rather hit one when in the truck that out on my bike.

Ahhh, …Pheasants…a superior class of Roadkill. :sunglasses:

:laughing:

I had an owl hit the screen one evening last summer going down the A56 near Accrington totally [zb]ing [zb] myself then the ■■■■ thing blocked the windscreen as it got its wing stuck in the sun visor :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: i had to stop the truck in the middle of the road and scoop the thing off the screen

And i tell at 2am on a sunday morning on a nice downhill stretch id just wound the seat back and was chilling to a bit of led zep it certainly woke me up

simon

Makes me wonder where the fun is in shooting the things :unamused:.

I did once have a pidgeon, the woman in the MR2 with the top down behind me wasn’t too impressed. Spitting feathers :laughing:.

marcustandy:
Last year two work colleagues were out on their motorbikes and a pheasant hit the first one in the helmet (caused him to come off) and the second bike crashed into him, killing them both.

I guess i’d rather hit one when in the truck that out on my bike.

Hell thats bad news Marcus :cry:

I hit one with my helmet last year riding down the York, Howden road. It was about 4.30 in the morning and just got light. bloody frightening :confused:

One of our trucks hit one and it put one hell of a crease in the cab roof

Got one last week. Smack in the middle of the cab of my FM10. The git flew up from the verge then right in front of me. Feathers everywhere.

My favourites are pidgeons…they don;t half explode well.

A417/419 go to Swindon daily and so does my breakfast … nuff said lol
Dave

I’ve also been hit on the helmet by a pheasant, not a nice experience. I’ve also hit a few Deer both in a car, a bus & in a truck, no real damage to the car or bus, both Deer were thrown in the air by the impact & only caused very minor dents that pulled out, the one in a truck however made real mess of the lights & cracked the fibreglass in several places.
Once driving a Bus I came round a bend going a little bit fast only to find hundreds of pigeons eating grain that had been spilt in the road, I’m not sure exactly how many I hit but at least 4 hit the windscreen & two others became attached to the front of the bus. & I’m not exaggerating when I say there were so many feathers in the air I couldn’t see were I was going for several seconds, it was total carnage.
Ah the joy’s of living in the country.

WE have in germany a simalar problem but it is with Wild Pigs and they
are not something that one wishes to meet and hit even with a lorry. as the
damage made by the collective impact will do heavy damage unless
you have a steel bumper and a set of bars at the front of the lorry.
If you do have a accident with a wild animal call the police in germany as
you can claim for any damages done,also they will inform the local
förstmäster–gamekeeper and he will take the carcass if there is one,or
he will hunt the injured animal down nd put it out of its misery,

penfold:
It must be the time off the year where their hormones are awry and they decide to show off by trying to fly as close as possible to truck while crossing road. I got 4 of the flamers in separate places going south on A34 :frowning: No damage to truck but 1 of them made hell of a bang when it hit.

did you not stop and take one home for tea :laughing:

brit pete:
WE have in germany a simalar problem but it is with Wild Pigs and they
are not something that one wishes to meet and hit even with a lorry. as the
damage made by the collective impact will do heavy damage unless
you have a steel bumper and a set of bars at the front of the lorry.
If you do have a accident with a wild animal call the police in germany as
you can claim for any damages done,also they will inform the local
förstmäster–gamekeeper and he will take the carcass if there is one,or
he will hunt the injured animal down nd put it out of its misery,

Ve haf zie flying pigs here too

In the olden days, as my daughter would say, I use to do some agency driving for an abattoir that only did pigs, ( pigs in that is.)
& several times I have chased runaway pigs “All the way home.”
You would come round the corner to see half a dozen guy’s in white coats running down the road, & in the fields either side of it, desperately attempting to get in front of this mobile bacon joint without chasing it & thus distressing it.
I use to let it get within 10 feet & apply my hand brake a couple of times, the air hiss being sufficient to stop & turn the poor little sod back towards it’s final fate.
It was then just a case of selecting 1st & gently, very gently, driving behind it, letting the guy’s keep it on the road & out of the field.
I’m told it looked great, one little piggy gently walking up the road followed by an artic with a men in white coats observing from the sidelines.

I once hit a pheasant that had just exited from the roadside hedge, straight over the top of it I went, hell of a bang as well. looked in my mirror expecting to see seriously squashed roadkill, and this pheasant was walking off the road giving Me the evil eye, cheeky sod.

Not had the pleasure of a pheasant yet, but I’ve wiped out a pigeon with the front a truck and like others say, it makes a hell of a bang. Luckily only a small crease in the air kit on the top of the cab.

I’ve also hit a blackbird on the M6 round Carlisle which was feasting on something in the central reservation. As I sailed past in my motor en-route Glasgow to see my chick the bloody thing decided to take to the air via the 3rd lane and I whacked it with my head-light, front grille and edge of bonnet doing about 95mph. Made a hell of a mess of the front of my motor. Thanfully the died.

wait till there is a few fields full of corn around. These bloody pheasants eat so much, they can hardly fly, then look what damage they cause :open_mouth: They weigh about a stone

One day day, along a busy country road, I rounded a bend to find a horse merrily doing a ‘backward shuffle’ from the verge to the centre line. The vehicle in front of me, an old Land Rover, steered around the horse and still braking, hung around to observe the spectacle.

Still running at a fair pace in a Range Rover I had three choices, rear-end the Land Rover, aim for an open gateway at an extremely questionable oblique angle, or the horse.

The result. The horse lost, one shattered leg and off to the glue factory. One extremely customised Range Rover. One somewhat disgruntled rider whose acrobatics off the roof of the Range Rover were a picture. :smiley:

Krankee:
One day day, along a busy country road, I rounded a bend to find a horse merrily doing a ‘backward shuffle’ from the verge to the centre line. The vehicle in front of me, an old Land Rover, steered around the horse and still braking, hung around to observe the spectacle.

Still running at a fair pace in a Range Rover I had three choices, rear-end the Land Rover, aim for an open gateway at an extremely questionable oblique angle, or the horse.

The result. The horse lost, one shattered leg and off to the glue factory. One extremely customised Range Rover. One somewhat disgruntled rider whose acrobatics off the roof of the Range Rover were a picture. :smiley:

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink: .