Suggestion for a good place to stop near Reims?

Hi all,

I’m going to Nice tomorrow, tipping on Wednesday and I’m looking for somewhere to park for at least a week .
Any ideas ?
thx Ian

I still use the old road, that ring road takes longer its more hillly and more expensive and you got more chance of getting a tug at thepeage.
As for the routier been in there twice grub was shocking parking’s ■■■■■ you end up being blocked in by desperado’s.

I always push onto La veuve (delko) much better

Ian-Leeds:
Hi all,

I’m going to Nice tomorrow, tipping on Wednesday and I’m looking for somewhere to park for at least a week .
Any ideas ?
thx Ian

NICE :stuck_out_tongue:

After reading some of the later posts on this thread. I am sure Toby thinks he is on a CB radio :laughing:

Going down to Paul Ricard next week, looking for somewhere to stop and get a good meal near Reims.
Any idea and directions please? :smiley:

Reims Centre Routier is as good as gold, plenty of selection but get there early, it gets mighty busy

Wheel Nut:
Reims Centre Routier is as good as gold, plenty of selection but get there early, it gets mighty busy

Cheers Wheel Nut, :smiley:
Where is it? and I don’t think we going to be early, as we’d go a bit further if we were.
What time does a Routiers serve food until?

muckles:

Wheel Nut:

Where is it? and I don’t think we going to be early, as we’d go a bit further if we were.

Keep on the A4 past the Cathederals and big silver tunnel, until you see Cormantreuil, the next junction is the RN44, last exit before peage■■? It is well signed for Centre Routier. AS24, Douanes CRT just off the autoroute

The restaurant is open from about 5pm untill 11.30, the problem is the parking area gets very full. It is an industrial area so you may be lucky. The next large parking is about 30 minutes further on the peage section

Wheel Nut:

muckles:

Wheel Nut:

Keep on the A4 past the Cathederals and big silver tunnel, until you see Cormantreuil, the next junction is the RN44, last exit before peage■■? It is well signed for Centre Routier. AS24, Douanes CRT just off the autoroute

The restaurant is open from about 5pm untill 11.30, the problem is the parking area gets very full. It is an industrial area so you may be lucky. The next large parking is about 30 minutes further on the peage section

Not wanting to pick holes in your superiour knowledge of France but they have changed it all round Reims is bar about 5mins all peage now.

Ben9:

Wheel Nut:

muckles:

Wheel Nut:

Not wanting to pick holes in your superiour knowledge of France but they have changed it all round Reims is bar about 5mins all peage now.

So is the routier still there?

Wheel Nut:

Ben9:

Wheel Nut:

muckles:

Wheel Nut:

So is the routier still there?

No idea.
Reims to me is very much like Lille, have a hard enough job trying to get wherever I’m going without looking at luxuries like routiers, although saying that they have simplified Reims so you don’t have to take half the slip roads you used to even a couple of years ago to stay on the “transit” route.

Like as been asked already what time do routiers and resto’s normally serve food until?

Restos and Routiers normally open at 5am for coffee and a crap. Lunch between 12 + 1400 then evening meals between 1900 and 23.30. 2300 to be safe although the bar is open earlier and often later.

I see what you mean about the bypass, they have dug a zb big hole :laughing:

As above, I would’ve suggested the Centre Routier and given the same directions :open_mouth:

If you take the southern ring road around Reims, theres an Arcotel a couple of juntions along where you could park & eat as well but, obviously, I dont know if they’ve changed that route to! :slight_smile:

Thanks for your directions, yes they’ve built a by-pass going round the south of Reims from point the A26 joined the A4 to well past the Taissy Peage, but you rejoin the old road before you get the big Services.

But with your Directions I reckon I could still get there, I didn’t see any truck bans through the old route

Is it here?

maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&sourc … 9&t=h&z=16

That is a shame. I used to like driving around Reims, could always have a nosey in Durands yard to see if there any tankers on the cleaning bay. Plus it was the first haven from Calais or Zeebrugge. When I saw the Volvo garage on the intersection, my mind turned to seafood and red wine :laughing:

Wheel Nut:
Restos and Routiers normally open at 5am for coffee and a crap. Lunch between 12 + 1400 then evening meals between 1900 and 23.30. 2300 to be safe although the bar is open earlier and often later.

So we will get served grub until 2300 then??

Ben9:

Wheel Nut:

In most of the large routiers which used to be Arcotel. I would say yes, although the choice may be limited. Many of the French stop off around 8pm and then do a couple more hours after a good meal. The routiers books are a good buy, they give you the restaurants names, departments, opening hours and type of place, some tell you which languages are spoken. I just park where all the French trucks do.

A lot of these restaurants make a living in a short space of time, a chef, a waitress and a barman can feed 70 or 80 drivers in a couple of hours at about 12 - 17€ at my last visit. Often you will see the same staff at midnight serving coffee and croissants at 5 in the morning

Wheel Nut:

Ben9:

Wheel Nut:

In most of the large routiers which used to be Arcotel. I would say yes, although the choice may be limited. Many of the French stop off around 8pm and then do a couple more hours after a good meal. The routiers books are a good buy, they give you the restaurants names, departments, opening hours and type of place, some tell you which languages are spoken. I just park where all the French trucks do.

A lot of these restaurants make a living in a short space of time, a chef, a waitress and a barman can feed 70 or 80 drivers in a couple of hours at about 12 - 17€ at my last visit. Often you will see the same staff at midnight serving coffee and croissants at 5 in the morning

I do like to stop at a traditional Routiers for dinner if I have time, but never parked up overnight at one. But are the Centre Routiers the same or more like truck stops?

Also we don’t have to stop at Reims we can get a bit further if there are any nice traditional one’s on route, Heading for Paul Ricard so going Lyon way. The hotels around Reims that I usaully use are full and as I’m single manning I could stay in the cab.

If all goes to plan should be in the Reims area about 8 pm.

there is always la verve about 30min along the National towards Chalon if you cant get parked at Reims

Wheel Nut:

Ben9:

Wheel Nut:

Have seen these and was iffing and rring but will get one.

Will have to start using them now I know they are open lateish.
Thanks.

La Verve is better food and better parking.