Such a tragic accident but why shut for so long?

The accident on the A1 between Blyth services and Worksop is very tragic, 3 people have lost their lives but what I don’t get is shy is it shut for do long? Looking at local news reports the accident happend at 23:20 last night where a car has gone over the central reservation and hit another car head on.
Now I presume it was traveling northbound as it’s the southbound side that is still shut. Traffic reports say it won’t reopen untill at least 15:30, now that’s 15 hours a road has been shut for an accident involving 2 cars where the evidence is obvious which car has gone over onto the other side of the carriageway and hit the other head on.
I’d understand if loads of trucks were involved or say one carrying steel or livestock even a car transporter and they had lost their load or even a tanker but 15 hours in this day and age?? Would it take this long in Europe? I’m sorry if I’m coming across as heartless I’m not and RIP to those that sadly lost their lives but to be shut for so long for a 2 car accident I just can’t see why.
The copper on Calender news did say that “Someone has left some tarpaulin at the scene what you would see on a truck to cover the load” so I’m wandering if a truck was involved or even a truck driver has used his tarpaulin to cover the cars or even the bodies?

To do what they’ve got to do. Investigation, maybe wait for daylight to take measurements of markings, look for needle in haystack evidence, recover victims. Repair surface if damaged. They’re under immense pressure to re open roads.

The problem is that because it’s fatal a report needs to be made by the collision forensic dept of the traffic police which is used by the coroner to determine the cause of death. This alone can take several hours. Only once this is complete can any vehicles be recovered and then road/barrier repairs be made. Sadly it is a long winded process but can you imagine the outcry if there was to be a similar accident because the safety barrier hadn’t been replaced because they didn’t want to close the road for too long?
I don’t think it’s heartless for this subject to be questioned if you’re not an associated party to anyone involved but I also understand dealing with accidents like this have a due process that can only be done in a certain order and that takes time.

As JEREMEY clarkson says " murder scene ! :laughing: "

Csi’s need seven hours minimum to photograph it " when it’s light " :open_mouth: :unamused:

Even one of the truck magazines a couple of years ago , last page said " why does it take so long? " if the media can’t get an answer, us thick truckers aren’t gonna get one Steve! :grimacing:

Or even it was your loved one that had died in the collision and the police didn’t do a full investigation, you would soon be shouting about it.
The first few hours/days of an investigation are critical. You think we close a road for ‘several’ hours, a murder scene in a street can be closed for days, but No one moans about that just because the M word is used.

At the end of the day someone has died unnaturally and possibly unlawfully killed someone else.

Your having a bad day because you get stuck/diverted, just think about how bad the day is for those who’s loved one’s are not coming home ever again.

They can close it for as long as they like as far as I’m concerned.

How much investigation does it take to bring back the deceased?

Not wishing to be uncaring, but do we really need to keep roads closed for 15 hrs? What are you going to learn in 15 hrs that you can’t learn in 5, 6, 7, or 8 hours?

With modern technology it must be possible to capture an accident scene electronically that can be later pulled apart inch by inch in a nice warm office somewhere?

If people didn’t go causing collisions there would be no roads to close-simples:!:

Pimpdaddy:
If people didn’t go causing collisions there would be no roads to close-simples:!:

You should change your signature to ’ biggest tool on trucknet ’ with comments like this one and most of your other antagonistic comments.

LeedsChris:
You should change your signature to ’ biggest tool on trucknet ’ with comments like this one and most of your other antagonistic comments.

Whets wrong with my comment…?

DonutUK:
How much investigation does it take to bring back the deceased?

Not wishing to be uncaring, but do we really need to keep roads closed for 15 hrs? What are you going to learn in 15 hrs that you can’t learn in 5, 6, 7, or 8 hours?

With modern technology it must be possible to capture an accident scene electronically that can be later pulled apart inch by inch in a nice warm office somewhere?

You better tell them. They’re obviously doing it wrong. Besides 5-6 hours of that 15 was at night which is not much use for what the investigators probably need to do.

Investigation of accidents may not bring people back but as well apportion of justice side its arguably more important that thorough investigation may help for future safety and also provide answers for the berieved. Look at the pain MH370 and 17 is causing due lack of answers. What if the Armco gave way unexpectedly, could they design it better etc? A lot of what’s on a lorry didn’t come about through manufacturers dreaming it up out of no where, rather research into actual accidents.

Pimpdaddy:

LeedsChris:

Whets wrong with my comment…?

All collisions are not always the drivers fault.There may have being debris in the road, an animal or they could have had a blow out to name just a few.

Stevebarnsleytrucker, I think it is a valid question posted in a caring manner. I asked a Collision Investigation Officer about closures and he told me that when he stands up in front of a coroner, who is a very important person with a lot of clout, his evidence will be 100% correct and factual and if that takes 15 hours to collate, then so be it. I do agree that 15 hours seems a long time, but as others have said, was there infrastructure repairs, did they have to wait until daylight? The Police, as are Highways, are under a lot of pressure to reopen roads asap. An initiative was set up last year, called CLEAR, which makes each organisation responsible for closures and these closures have to be justified to ministers. I can assure you that roads are closed for the sake of it. None of us want to be at closures for hours getting abused by drivers.

itv.com/news/calendar/update … tal-crash/

extrucker:
I can assure you that roads are closed for the sake of it

I know what you mean :laughing:

It’s closed for as long as needed because it’s a crime scene. What if someone committed a murder using their car as weapon, the punishments are far less than if you took a knife to someone.
Close it for all they need in my eyes.

LeedsChris:
All collisions are not always the drivers fault.There may have being debris in the road, an animal or they could have had a blow out to name just a few.

Ok, I believe that more than 50% of collisions are caused by human error, we have plenty of procedures & infrastructure in place to prevent (if you like) collisions occurring-my opinion of course…

i was in at 1am for work, and it caused me problems, but i was happy as the rozzers had to do there work,
the thing you are forgetting there was 3 major accidents in notts yesterday, 2 involving bikers and this one, and only one csi unit in notts, it developed that there was key evidence found which was a key to the couple dieing , which if they cleared the road in the dark they might of missed.
after working the past 4 days, everyone was in a rush, a big ■■■■ of rush apart from the tossco trucks bimbling about,

Freight Dog:

extrucker:
I can assure you that roads are closed for the sake of it

I know what you mean :laughing:

I think I should have put; ‘‘roads are NOT closed for the sake of it’’ :blush:

extrucker:
Police appeal over 'tarpaulin' left at scene of triple fatal crash | Calendar - ITV News

What’s the deal with the tarpaulin then?