Subby looking for some decent reliable work

we are on containers at the moment running out of felixstowe but to be honest with fuel prices going up and job prices either staying the same or just generally rubbish we are looking for some work do any of you know where we could find any we are base near kettering northants ,any info welcome cheers

hiya scotty, dont know if youve looked into it or not, but sealane are allways advertiseing in the back of the magazines in the o/d section, ive done it, but only working for someone else, not for myself, so dont know anything about rates etc, but it allways used to be decent european work, mainly holland, belgium, luxy and france, hope you get sorted
mj :wink:

the title says it all mate

subby looking for some decent reliable work

arent we all, not meaning to be negative but no ones going to be quick to give names and addresses out, we are all in the same boat at the moment

Elite Transport Services are looking for subbies,for bases all over the UK.I used to work for Steve Vaughan at Eling Wharf at Totton,decent bloke.aplly on their website,and employed drivers can do the same too.Also P&G International at Felixstowe was looking for drivers for a Spanish contract,and UK containers.Peter Gooch is the TM.

Theres a posting on this very site from a decent, well respected fridge operator, based in Dover, looking for subbies! :smiley:

I have seriously thought about going back on for them but I don’t realy want to be away to much and I’m actually quite happy doing what I’m doing at the moment. :sunglasses:

If that changes though … ! :sunglasses:

Is that Heritage in Dover??

toby1234abc:
Is that Heritage in Dover??

yes… you wont get rich from them

First offf I am not a O/D, however the remark about not getting RICH
when pulling for some one, WHAT DO YOU THINK its their work which they
have agreed to sub out and its only right that the larger profit goes to the
one supplying the work, the Subbie(s),WHAT HAVE THEY DONE to get the
MAJOR PROFIT??sorry but if you are not clever enough to have your own
work direct to a customer (s);THEN BE GRATEFUL FOR A SMALL PROFIT
and work,ALL firms that sub their work out do not give the majority
of the profit to a Subbie, that is not how one runs a business,

ALSO LETS POINT SOME thing out
Heritage is the only one who has come out on here and replied
to various questions that people have put forward,also the firm
is one that many will say is a reliable and good company to
work for,

brit pete:
First offf I am not a O/D, however the remark about not getting RICH
when pulling for some one, WHAT DO YOU THINK its their work which they
have agreed to sub out and its only right that the larger profit goes to the
one supplying the work, the Subbie(s),WHAT HAVE THEY DONE to get the
MAJOR PROFIT??sorry but if you are not clever enough to have your own
work direct to a customer (s);THEN BE GRATEFUL FOR A SMALL PROFIT
and work,ALL firms that sub their work out do not give the majority
of the profit to a Subbie, that is not how one runs a business,

ALSO LETS POINT SOME thing out
Heritage is the only one who has come out on here and replied
to various questions that people have put forward,also the firm
is one that many will say is a reliable and good company to
work for,

You are right there Pete on most if not all points.
Regarding Heritage I have heard more good than bad.

Interesting comments above… Itss a tough old world out there for us all
and believe me it is going to get tougher yet.
The trick is … whoever you work for… is to ensure you get paid.
Heritage has NEVER not paid anyone… ever.
We supply work, trailers, fuel cards, early payment schemes, and a high level
of support… We treat people like people and not just numbers !

Refrences from working sub-contractors can be supplied… Do not listen to the
drivel you hear on the boats / train from other drivers. If you really want to know
soemehing … call and ask me !!

We can offer re-loads from most European countries for tauliners and Fridges
we have accounts with all the major ferry companies.

Please, please have realistic expectations… you will then not be dissapointed.

Regards, Neville Brooker.
Heritage International Transport Ltd, Dover, Kent.

I dont know Neville or his company,

I do know over the years many companies have been discussed on these forums, very few have been willing to answer the questions pubilcaly, both the positive and sometimes negative points.

Neville is one of a tiny minority that has never asked me to remove any criticism, (even its its unfounded) but has prefered to defend himself and his companies record instead - A real nice change from the snotty solicitors letters most companies seem to enjoy paying for to be sent to me.

For me personally if I was looking to work as a subbie, i would certainly think that one that was willing to defend his record and say his point of view would be preferable to one that simply wanted any discussion silenced.

At that the end of the day whoever any one subs for there is always an element of risk. does someone who meets and welcomes discussion about their business in an open way present less of a risk than someone who wishes to stifle any such comments - thats a decision only you can make as a business owner, but I know what i think :grimacing: :wink: :wink:

Although Heritage have said that they supply trailers, work, fuel, ferries and a wet wipe for your bum. I am sure if you want to be a subby, you will make a living, no one surely expects to get rich out of it, especially in this economic climate.

I imagine Neville is having to compete quite severely against our newer partners in the EU.

The title of the thread is “subby looking for some decent reliable work” For me that would be Heritage, and like Ricki, I don’t know Neville either, but I do know that he comes on here and speaks a lot of sense and has a long pedigree in the industry, both on the operations and financial side.

If you want to get rich, go out and find your own trailer, your own fuel accounts, ferry and toll card and breakdown cover and repatriation insurance, try to do it without cutting the rates of established hauliers and freight forwarders and everyone will be happy.

Have a read of the forums, there was someone who thought they could drive from the East Midlands, ship over empty, load Belgium, tip London and go home and then book 3 weeks holiday in Barbados :laughing:

if anybody wants to know what heritage are like , ask me, i have two vehicles on with them for nearly a year now, i work under phil burford and i can tell you they are spot on, payments on time every time, excellent on a personal level and whilst we would all like more money, my truck,s earn money every week. they will allways do there best to make sure you earn the most possible every week, but like all things , you get out what you put in, work hard and you will do well with heritage.

Just digressing slightly from the thread and doing as rikki has done already i work for another dover based company and know some of nevilles drivers personally they have never bad mouthed heritage so to my mind unlike a few drivers they must be happy working for him so good on ya neville for both being honest and obviously good to your employees

When Neville speaks…LISTEN :open_mouth:

is Neville part of the Management team at Heritage or just an employee?

the reason i ask, a while ago, he posted something and i got the impression he was just an employee of Heritage and nothing to do with the management/ownership side.

just curious like :wink:

Neville:
The trick is … whoever you work for… is to ensure you get paid.
Heritage has NEVER not paid anyone… ever.

Regards, Neville Brooker.
Heritage International Transport Ltd, Dover, Kent.

The above quote does it for me :exclamation: :exclamation: :sunglasses:

God Morning,
Thanks for the comments above… Very interesting indeed.

To answer one point… I am the Operations Director and own 50% of the
company.
I have a goood team of long serving staff in the office and some very good drivers
who have been with me from the start. Work with us… and we will work with you.

Final small point… We like all companies suffer from Bad Debts as no matter how
careful you are… how many checks you make you can in this climate still get caught.
Again… Even if we get caught with a non payment we still always pay the sub-contractor.

We then suffer like other companies from the sub-contractor who thinks he can back door us
and go straight to the customer to obtain more revenue… !!

Anyway … better get on the Grand Prix is about to start… Come on the Brits !!
Regards, Neville.

Neville:
God Morning,
Thanks for the comments above… Very interesting indeed.

To answer one point… I am the Operations Director and own 50% of the
company.
I have a goood team of long serving staff in the office and some very good drivers
who have been with me from the start. Work with us… and we will work with you.

Final small point… We like all companies suffer from Bad Debts as no matter how
careful you are… how many checks you make you can in this climate still get caught.
Again… Even if we get caught with a non payment we still always pay the sub-contractor.

We then suffer like other companies from the sub-contractor who thinks he can back door us
and go straight to the customer to obtain more revenue… !!

Anyway … better get on the Grand Prix is about to start… Come on the Brits !!
Regards, Neville.

thanks for clearing that up :wink:

was just curious as to what you actually were in relation to the company, i have seen your trucks around, always thought they looked very smart :smiley:

I think I started the discussion about Heritage by my posting above.

Neville (& others) has cleared things up quite nicely and I would have absolutly no problem about working for such a professional Company again. As I said above, I have given it some very serious thought! :sunglasses:

I would just hope they would accept me back to! :smiley:

regards to all

John Vasey