Stupid tracker system

The company i am working for at the mo have put a tracker system into the trucks we have ,not only does it tell them where you are it also tells them everything to do with how you drive the trucks.Now i have no problem with this if it worked properly.This is how it works you get graded for harsh braking,engine idle,overspeed,green band driving,cruise control,accel,over reving.The marks are from A to F with A being the best,the company are looking for a overal average of D ,ok so far so good.Now this is where it all goes wrong,it takes no account of where you have been eg in london or on the motoway so i got a F for not using cruise control, dont know many drivers who would use it in central london, i also got a F for engine idle,after a detailed break down this turned out when i was on the north circ and A10 they said my engine was idleing to long? All my others were A’s so got a overal grade of B.Also our trucks are limited to 52mph but if your on the motoway and click the cruise control on at 52 you will get a low grade on green band driving as one of the other drivers found out.What i dont understand is if they are going to install these expensive systems and go through a debrief with every driver and there are loads at this company surely the bloody systems has to work .

Sounds like its working perfectly to me… and well done for getting an overall B.

Obviously in city driving your idle time taken as a percentage of engine running time will be relatively high.

As for CC at 52. Surely the vehicles are running in the green band at that? If not, politely bring this up with the TM and meanwhile drop it half a gear so it does run in the green - simples!

The tracker that is installed in my unit often says random crap, like I have been idling for 8 minutes in Coventry when all I’ve done is come down the M40 miles from Coventry. If you ever get any disputes just use your tacho to back yourself up.

I don’t use cc much on scways as I get bored. D1uk is right a lorry should be well in green band at 52, hence why so many firms are lowering their limiters. We’ve been told all the usual about keeping it in the green but what happens when going up a steep hill? One way around the idling time; use the hand throttle if you have one to increase revs and it wont register as idling (it doesn’t with ours I’ve tried it)

ahhh trackers …

i dont trust them for work puposes , but for insureance reasons to actually track the truck they’re fine

it also doesnt track any movement under 3kph so when one of our 8 wheelers was trying to free it’s self from being stuck for 20 mins , his wheels were turning & clocking driving time on his card , but the tracker clocked nothing , of which later created an interesting disscussion with the transport office when he was running short on driving hours & the office claimed he had another 30mins left to go !

another one of our driver was told his drag was behind him , … 25 miles behind him actually … but then turned up in the yard 20 mins before his truck did :confused:

gpt to love technology havn’t you :laughing:

What a ■■■■■■ joke, if they think that a computer programme can drive the ■■■■■■ thing better then tell them to get the ■■■■■■ computer to drive it.
But I’ll bet you try to raise your overall average, what is wrong with drivers, they want you to be PROFESSIONAL, then take the ■■■■ out of your PROFESSIONALISM with these systems.
Tell em EFF OFF

Okey-Didley-Dokely:
What a ■■■■■■ joke, if they think that a computer programme can drive the ■■■■■■ thing better then tell them to get the ■■■■■■ computer to drive it.
But I’ll bet you try to raise your overall average, what is wrong with drivers, they want you to be PROFESSIONAL, then take the ■■■■ out of your PROFESSIONALISM with these systems.
Tell em EFF OFF

Calm down dear, it’s only truck driving!

From the various comments that come up on TN about assessment drives, trackers, etc. it seems many drivers are totally paranoid about having their driving scrutinized.
If you are so good, what have you to worry about?

For the not so good (that’s non of you then. Yeah right!) Be afraid, be very afraid.

To reply to some of the comments ,the company is aware that it you set the cc at 52 it is over the green band for some reason ,not sure why.As to the idle the computer picks up if you have idled for more than 3 mins (not all in one go) and then gives you a infringement.The remark about wanting to beat my average as long as it is D or under i dont mind.The reason i want that score is it means they will leave me alone to do my job and not be checking up on me ,if you keep getting above D you will have to have a day of driver trainning and if that dont work its bye bye.

All well and good knowing what the vehicle is doing but it don’t show them what all the idiots around you are doing.
End of the day the trackers are a security tool with the bonus that some help drivers be more aware of there driving style/eco driving etc but they should’t be enforced ie score D’s or above or lose your job as they only know what you and the truck are doing not what’s going on road condition wise

Surely if you drive normally there isn’t a problem.

If these all singing all dancing trackers are so good, why do I get phone calls asking where I am or what time will I reach my destination?

Saaamon:
Surely if you drive normally there isn’t a problem.

There are different interpretations of normal.

waddy640:
If these all singing all dancing trackers are so good, why do I get phone calls asking where I am or what time will I reach my destination?

just what i was thinking

ady1:

waddy640:

just what i was thinking

I think it’s just a bluff.

waddy640:

Because it cannot read the road ahead of you, it doesn’t have traffic information, it doesn’t know if you need a break (legal or sanitary) etc.
But a good tracker system with the right software and the right people behind it can get a hell lot of information out of the route, out of the vehicle and if used correctly can safe the company a lot of money and help the driver.
Remember the system and the operator need to learn in the beginning the system talks utterly ■■■■■■■■, after some adjustments it help to plan more realistic routes, plan the driver better in, and safe a he’ll lot of paperwork.
When I started driving we had to do for every delivery at least 5 minutes paperwork, now if the geofence is set properly the planing knows already that you are arrived at your delivery address, and sometimes when you open the doors, start the pump etc a message goes across tell the office that you are unloading.
At that point the can look for a backload or inform the next customer of an eta.
Also demurrage can be calculated there and than and the customer can be informed about the extra cost.
Before this was all telephone calls and writing out of paperwork.
If used correctly it can have an advantage for everybody.

caledoniandream:

waddy640:

Because it cannot read the road ahead of you, it doesn’t have traffic information, it doesn’t know if you need a break (legal or sanitary) etc.

Which, I think, is the point the OP was making.

garp:
To reply to some of the comments ,the company is aware that it you set the cc at 52 it is over the green band for some reason ,not sure why.

I asked one of our mixer drivers today about this (theirs gives a black mark for exceeding 52 or 53) When they had theirs’ installed, the fitter set it once the truck was running in it’s green zone. It sounds like yours wasn’t setup properly. Excessive acceleration is whenever the needle goes a certain amount out of the green. Quite how you’re meant to block-change with a loaded 8wheel mixer (Daf 360) uphill without leaving the green is another thing…

Rules made by people who have never been in a lorry left alone driven one.

Some of the newer satellite tracking systems do get some traffic info, from other vehicles fitted with the same kit even though they may belong to different companies Blog: Transport & logistics - AddSecure I’m sure this one does,

Used to always get the “Are you there yet” or “how long before you will get there” and you are going to a place you ain’t ever been to before, and don’t have a sat naff with you,

Best thing was if you asked them where the place was in relation to your location they would more than often give some excuse that they did not know how to use it, no point in having it then ■■

But the boss man would be on the blower quick enough if you deviated from the motorway (when in Europe) in order to buy your tobacco products, He installed tracking systems to get a reduction on his insurance and be able to move high value loads, and most importantly spy on his drivers