straps and ratchets

back in the days of roping/sheeting , you would occasionally see the odd hank laying at the side of the road and rarely see a length of rope . but now that the majority of loads are strapped, the roads are littered with straps/ratchets. why!!? , is it because they are weaker and snap or because drivers no longer check the tension after a few miles to check for the load settling and they simply loosen up and fall off ?.

The other day I was coming off the M56 and heading north on the M6, on the slip road there must of been 10 to 15 straps in the middle of the 2 lanes. Cars a Motor bikes were diving all over the dam place to miss them, I would think somone forgot to put them away after tipping.

A lot of straps rub away on sharp edges of steel etc and then the fly off and land in the road. I am just a Fleet Engineer on my travel and I pick them up on A roads all over the place.

Was at the side of a truck on the M69 loaded with steel and using strap, with nothing on the edges to stop the strap webbing from rubbing at them.

Drivers could also forget to check them when the load settles down and then they could come loose.

Cheers Welly.

I’ve lost a few from time to time leaving my kit box open (schoolboy error…) :S
People also leave them on steps, hanging off load bay doors, on the fuel tank etc etc.

A length of rope is a dam sight longer a rachet strap!

A rope might slip off a hook now and again or a poor single dolly uncurl, but each cross of the rope was looped at the hook either side, the rope couldn’t get lost unless it got trapped by a wheel, and then it would only be the length between wheel and hook.

Straps are single lengths, whether attached to hook or body its steel on steel so no natural grip there, plus the weight of the ratchet pulls the whole thing off.

Lastly, too few give a toss or take a pride in their work any more.

The thing is a length of rope wont do much damage when run over, on the other hand ratchets and straps are about the worst thing going when it comes to tyre damage

Many drivers don’t put a twist in the slack sides of a strap to stop vibration that’s when they rub through ,and also the one you see at the side of the road the majority are ones that the wrapped up remaining strap has come out from behind the choc rail and been trapped by the wheels,some loads I will put a twist in three sides or even use 2 ratchets per strap .

I lost a super single because my wretched came off and the prong went under the wheel :frowning:

I’m pretty careful & all…

Dan Punchard:
Many drivers don’t put a twist in the slack sides of a strap to stop vibration that’s when they rub through ,and also the one you see at the side of the road the majority are ones that the wrapped up remaining strap has come out from behind the choc rail and been trapped by the wheels,some loads I will put a twist in three sides or even use 2 ratchets per strap .

You’re not supposed to put a twist in them

Your not supposed to do a lot of things !

Stevieboy if you did everything you are not supposed to you would not eat or breath in this NANNY STATE. Eddie.

ok! you shouldn’t put a twist in then, because if you do it doesn’t equally spread the force across the strap, which means the strap fails at a lower force. if you’re worried about it flapping about and wearing through, put something under the corners.

stevieboy308:
ok! you shouldn’t put a twist in then, because if you do it doesn’t equally spread the force across the strap, which means the strap fails at a lower force. if you’re worried about it flapping about and wearing through, put something under the corners.

if the bloody thing is flapping on the corners it’s not tight is it!
anyone that knows what they are doing will already have corner protection, the twist helps to stop vibration on a long fall of strap, the sort of vibration you hear when a walking floor trailer with a manual sheet overtakes you!

If you don’t want to put a twist in then it’s a ratchet at each end and hope for the best.

Moose:

stevieboy308:

if the bloody thing is flapping on the corners it’s not tight is it!
anyone that knows what they are doing will already have corner protection, the twist helps to stop vibration on a long fall of strap, the sort of vibration you hear when a walking floor trailer with a manual sheet overtakes you!

i never said flapping about on the corners did i? flapping occurs between 2 points and it’s at these points where the damage is done, the top point is quite often the top corner.

i know the twist helps stop the vibration, but it also reduces the force the strap will take

Dan Punchard:
If you don’t want to put a twist in then it’s a ratchet at each end and hope for the best.

why’s it a hope for the best? :confused:

Hope it dosent vibrate ,have you actually done any flat work ? Because if you had I think you’d have a different view .

Dan Punchard:
Hope it dosent vibrate ,have you actually done any flat work ? Because if you had I think you’d have a different view .

sure have :smiley: :smiley:

syramax:
back in the days of roping/sheeting , you would occasionally see the odd hank laying at the side of the road and rarely see a length of rope . but now that the majority of loads are strapped, the roads are littered with straps/ratchets. why!!? , is it because they are weaker and snap or because drivers no longer check the tension after a few miles to check for the load settling and they simply loosen up and fall off ?.

I reckon ts because no one inspects them and refuses to use a frayed/worn strap. I reckon they’re used until they break. Can you imagine a gaffers face if you throw back six straps in the office and say…i want new ones these are looking a little worn ?

Mike-C:
Can you imagine a gaffers face if you throw back six straps in the office and say…i want new ones these are looking a little worn ?

If I ask for new straps, I don’t need to show the old ones. They get skipped on the way to the office…

My gaffer appreciates high standards and doesn’t belittle the drivers. :unamused: :unamused: