straps and ratchets

worth a read

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=57521&hilit=strap+twist

The only time I put a twist in a strap is when carrying cabins. Without a twist, the strap vibrates and rubs on the cabin sides, and if it’s a decent cabin, the paintwork gets marked. I don’t personally think any other load that I carry needs “twisted” straps.

I used to carry brand new cabins from Alsim in Dull and they had low-level lifting points welded on them. Alsim advised using said points for restraining as it saved the paintwork.

On a slightly different note regarding straps, I get very annoyed when our night loaders don’t tighten the slack but spend just as much time tying knots to shorten them. Bloody things are nigh on impossible to untie especially if the knot pulls in very close to the buckle. I’ve thrown away 3 straps because they’re no use if I can’t undo them. I’ve got replacements, no questions asked because I’m one of the only drivers at my place who straps empty pallets (much to the annoyance of my drivers’ mates).
Talking of twisting straps, I do it occasionally to stop the buckle splitting flour bags.

I still don’t see the problem with adding a twist, after doing flat work for years with many load types I use my brain when strapping a load, if the twist makes the strap weaker I can use twice as many straps to start with!
how much weaker is a strap that’s got a single twist against a strap that’s flapping and vibrating causing rubbing?
also out of all the broken and lost straps at the side of the road how many have broken due to having a single twist and how many have broken or even worse fell off because they were positioned badly (without a twist) to start with?

threewheelsonmywagon:

Mike-C:
Can you imagine a gaffers face if you throw back six straps in the office and say…i want new ones these are looking a little worn ?

If I ask for new straps, I don’t need to show the old ones. They get skipped on the way to the office…

My gaffer appreciates high standards and doesn’t belittle the drivers. :unamused: :unamused:

Good man, obviously none of the ones found on the road are yours.

Edited as Juddian said the same thing further up :smiley:

Coppers round here have nicked drivers for having twisted straps. I hate the poxy things and would still sooner use ropes or chains. And I’ve never had a rope slip off a hook or a dolly come undone… except when I was pulling on it :blush:

I need to fill a vehicle defect in if i need replacement straps ■■

Well, I never knew that.

We just have to ask and two big boxes of straps appear, then we are like scavengers haha, this is how I tie off the ends,

stevieboy308:
i never said flapping about on the corners did i? flapping occurs between 2 points and it’s at these points where the damage is done, the top point is quite often the top corner.

i know the twist helps stop the vibration, but it also reduces the force the strap will take

If they’re flapping you’ve not done them up tight enough.

Conor:

stevieboy308:
i never said flapping about on the corners did i? flapping occurs between 2 points and it’s at these points where the damage is done, the top point is quite often the top corner.

i know the twist helps stop the vibration, but it also reduces the force the strap will take

If they’re flapping you’ve not done them up tight enough.

Conor ,why coment you obviously don’t know what your talking about !

Mike-C:

threewheelsonmywagon:

Mike-C:
Can you imagine a gaffers face if you throw back six straps in the office and say…i want new ones these are looking a little worn ?

If I ask for new straps, I don’t need to show the old ones. They get skipped on the way to the office…

My gaffer appreciates high standards and doesn’t belittle the drivers. :unamused: :unamused:

Good man, obviously none of the ones found on the road are yours.

Indeed. Haven’t damaged one in almost 30 years, it ain’t rocket science :unamused: .

I have a collection of plastic corner protectors and rubber pads scrounged from rail jobs. My “favourite” is some webbing sleeves I made from condemned 3ton duplex lifting slings. Cut them to whatever length you need, seal the ends with a blowtorch, slide a couple onto your straps and bob, as they say, is your uncle.