Strapping pallets?

hi i do the odd day at asda ,they send me out sometimes with double deck moving floors ,loaded to the roof curtain sides ,no straps anywhere ,i have contacted vosa tech ,to ask if its ok ,they said >>>>
What I suggest is that you imagine the trailer without its sides, would you leave the load unrestrained on the back of the trailer?

The scenario that you have described to me does require some sort of load restraint.

if its suppose to be strapped why do asda get away with it ? think if i refuse to take it , think i will not be asked to drive for them again ,as every body else seems to do it , any other asda drivers on here give me any info about this

All pallets on curtainsiders need to be strapped down using the trailer straps fixed to the trailer. Pallets weighing over 400 kg need to have a ratchet strap put over them.

bald bloke:
All pallets on curtainsiders need to be strapped down using the trailer straps fixed to the trailer. Pallets weighing over 400 kg need to have a ratchet strap put over them.

Load of ■■■■■■■■ its thats the case 95% of loads on curtain siders are illegal

BIG AW:

bald bloke:

Read September’s edition of "Vosa’s Moving On " there’s an article in there then you can come back and apologise.

robf1234:
hi i do the odd day at asda ,they send me out sometimes with double deck moving floors ,loaded to the roof curtain sides ,no straps anywhere ,i have contacted vosa tech ,to ask if its ok ,they said >>>>
What I suggest is that you imagine the trailer without its sides, would you leave the load unrestrained on the back of the trailer?

The scenario that you have described to me does require some sort of load restraint.

if its suppose to be strapped why do asda get away with it ? think if i refuse to take it , think i will not be asked to drive for them again ,as every body else seems to do it , any other asda drivers on here give me any info about this

Did VOSA offer any advice about climbing up there to ensure the strapping wasn’t damaging the load? Or who to sue if you hurt yourself doing it? The straps hanging from the roof are useless for restraining heavy pallets, so ratchets would be required.

While I understand the sentiments of ‘strap everything always’ it clearly isn’t necessary with every load. If it were, every truck that left the yard without the load strapped would always deposit said load out of the side of the trailer before the destination was reached. They don’t, so it clearly isn’t!

What VOSA are saying is ‘drivers can’t be trusted to drive according to the load they are carrying’, all thanks to one or two complete numpties that think it’s OK to corner with an artic as if they were in a Ferrari. :unamused:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=104486….

It’s all here.

BIG AW:
Load of ■■■■■■■■.

If that’s the case 95% of loads on curtain siders are illegal.

Yes, even your load of bollox would have to be strapped down.

Not sure about your 95% - but the 400 kilo rule, as mentioned above, is the law.

Get caught - Get punished.

I got myself in hot water last year on the agency reference strapping loads and a couple of big players.

A very big haulage company, a very big fizzy pop company and a collection in Yorkshire.

I was told off the haulage company 2 crossed straps at the rear would be sufficient, I asked how many pallets and how heavy would they be, answer I got from haulage company was… 26 pallets weighing about a ton each.

I then asked how 2 internal straps could restrain such a load.

After being told that this haulage company had VOSA dispensation to carry these loads :open_mouth: I was asked to leave site.

(Theys more to this story but I have to be careful what I say)

Truckulent:
Did VOSA offer any advice about climbing up there . . . . ? :

Yes.

Dieseldoforme:

Truckulent:

Yes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBC2sA0eTHk

That is a great idea, on a rigid, one driver one truck.

How does it work with a ferry trailer just picked up from Felixstowe which came off a barge on the Danube. Having used safety harnesses for the last 10 years or so, not every place is so accommodating and not every trailer is standardised

bald bloke:

BIG AW:

bald bloke:

Read September’s edition of "Vosa’s Moving On " there’s an article in there then you can come back and apologise.

I wont be apologise to you or anybody how the ■■■■ can Vosa implement that rule for every load thats over 400kg thats not ratchet strapped ,if that was the case every load that left my yard which is roughly 200 loads per week are strapped wrong you think firms like WH Malcolms who load from us are breaking the law every load they do, what Vosa need to do is try to stop all the rule benders and foreign firms running as they please and ■■■■■■■ the job up for the rest of us trying to make a living running in the right way

Wheel Nut:
How does it work with a ferry trailer just picked up from Felixstowe which came off a barge on the Danube. Having used safety harnesses for the last 10 years or so, not every place is so accommodating and not every trailer is standardised

I’ve done my fair share of ferry work - into, out of and on Immingham Docks.

I saw this strapping business coming - so I got out of it.

I landed myself a nice little bobbies job that doesn’t do curtainsiders,
just fridges and box vans. Fantastic. No worries. RDC’s only.

Shunters couple up & fuel up.

We do a vehicle check, load check & drive off.

Back in the yard, we pull up, keys / paperwork to Shunter & Go home.

We don’t even bring back empty blue pallets anymore . Mmm, Blissfull.

Dieseldoforme:

Wheel Nut:

I’ve done my fair share of ferry work - into, out of and on Immingham Docks.

I saw this strapping business coming - so I got out of it.

I landed myself a nice little bobbies job that doesn’t do curtainsiders,
just fridges and box vans. Fantastic. No worries. RDC’s only.

Shunters couple up & fuel up.

We do a vehicle check, load check & drive off.

Back in the yard, we pull up, keys / paperwork to Shunter & Go home.

We don’t even bring back empty blue pallets anymore . Mmm, Blissfull.

Good for you, however back in the real world. Trailer 226 arrives unaccompanied & sealed with a delivery for Inverness, it is a new machine for a whisky distillery, you know that you have to meet the engineers who have arranged a fork lift, they can only tip you on the car park where there are no gantries, trees or skyhooks to hang yourself from, it is these type of jobs that are going to cause the problems, not the clinically built RDC with the magical force field and pedestrian walkways where you do not even need Toetectors if you are wearing a tie :wink:

Wheel Nut:
Good for you, however back in the real world. Trailer 226 arrives unaccompanied & sealed with a delivery for Inverness, it is a new machine for a whisky distillery, you know that you have to meet the engineers who have arranged a fork lift, they can only tip you on the car park where there are no gantries, trees or skyhooks to hang yourself from, it is these type of jobs that are going to cause the problems, not the clinically built RDC with the magical force field and pedestrian walkways where you do not even need Toetectors if you are wearing a tie :wink:

Exactly why I got out of it.

You have the same option too - and it’s generally the same pay.

You may find this of interest. I know it’s not quite the same as the work you are doing.

truckingtopics.co.uk/loadingpallettra.html

Will update when I have more info.

chester:
I got myself in hot water last year on the agency reference strapping loads and a couple of big players.

A very big haulage company, a very big fizzy pop company and a collection in Yorkshire.

I was told off the haulage company 2 crossed straps at the rear would be sufficient, I asked how many pallets and how heavy would they be, answer I got from haulage company was… 26 pallets weighing about a ton each.

After being told that this haulage company had VOSA dispensation to carry these loads :open_mouth: I was asked to leave site.

What happens with 1ton unstrapped pallet ! :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

youtube.com/watch?v=8HglQ4zg0aQ

Dieseldoforme:

Truckulent:

Yes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBC2sA0eTHk

Hahaha!

Now show me the video they’ve produced in a badly lit yard, at 2am, wind howling around you at 50 mph and the snow/rain lashing down…

VOSA don’t live in the real world, only an idealised, theoretical one.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

chester:

If you’re talking about Stobarts, all their curtainsiders have load restraining side bars which are stored in the headboard of the trailer.

Conor:

chester:

If you’re talking about Stobarts, all their curtainsiders have load restraining side bars which are stored in the headboard of the trailer.

Not all of them do, IIRC it was the tpt? trailers (tesco spec) that had 3 roof supports and the side bars, the rest didn’t.

It’s been a while since I was there, so things may have changed and my memory isn’t great :wink:

Dieseldoforme:

BIG AW:
Load of ■■■■■■■■.

If that’s the case 95% of loads on curtain siders are illegal.

Yes, even your load of bollox would have to be strapped down.

Not sure about your 95% - but the 400 kilo rule, as mentioned above, is the law.

Get caught - Get punished.

Are you sure that is the actual law and not just VOSA’s ill-considered load security matrix you mean?