Strapping pallets?

robf1234:
hi i do the odd day at asda ,they send me out sometimes with double deck moving floors ,loaded to the roof curtain sides ,no straps anywhere ,i have contacted vosa tech ,to ask if its ok ,they said >>>>
What I suggest is that you imagine the trailer without its sides, would you leave the load unrestrained on the back of the trailer?

The scenario that you have described to me does require some sort of load restraint.

if its suppose to be strapped why do asda get away with it ? think if i refuse to take it , think i will not be asked to drive for them again ,as every body else seems to do it , any other asda drivers on here give me any info about this

Reply back saying you’re imagining your trailer without sides and what you can see is 2" strong nylon webbing going from the floor to roof every foot holding the pallets on, then on the pallets there’s strong stretchwrap holding the goods to each pallet.

I propose an experiment to test their proposition. Whichever member of VOSA staff that got a bee in their bonnet about load security can be fired as a human cannonball into a safety net. Between the cannon and the safety net a curtainside trailer will be placed. As a curtain allegedly offers no load security, I’m sure they’ll be fine.

As soon as someone loses an eye to another driver throwing an unecessary ratchet strap over a pallet of cornflakes, or something similar, the load security matrix will join ‘mechanics need DCPC to take vehicles to test’ in the back catalogue of hysterical VOSA nonsense never to be heard of again.

Own Account Driver:
As soon as someone loses an eye to another driver throwing an unecessary ratchet strap over a pallet of cornflakes

Thats why you dont roll the hook up within the strap :unamused:

Saaamon:

Own Account Driver:
As soon as someone loses an eye to another driver throwing an unecessary ratchet strap over a pallet of cornflakes

You do if you are strapping up on a windy dockside

Saaamon:

Own Account Driver:

I think you’ve highlighted the unappreciated risks involved in the use of ratchet straps. Maybe you should compile a list of best practice into some form of matrix.

I love all of this “Pretend its not a curtainsider” and “Pretend it doesn’t have wooden/aloy boards down the side” and “Treat it as if its a flat bed”…yes well, many loads are quite safe to be carried unstrapped purely because they are held in my wooded boards, and really quite sturdy curtains. Obviously just as many loads do need securing but to suggest that absolutely everything needs to be strapped is lunacy of the highest order. Yet another example where an academic view point of theory and “pretend” over rules common sense. I’d expect 30,000 loosely stacked boxes of tissues to go flying off the back of a flatbed, yet this would never happen in a curtainsider when the curtains and doors are closed…and why not? because its not an bloody flatbed!

Basically, it’s just another stick to beat a driver/operator with if they feel like it/you’ve already dropped it on the road.

In essence it’s totally ridiculous & unenforceable, the cost to industry to strap every pallet/roll cage/whatever on a trailer would be monumentally enormous & cause RDC/factory meltdown.

If it looks alright then crack on, your odds on being diddled by the man are slim. Roll the dice!

Coca Cola & whoever else would not let their product out the yard if it was at risk of falling over. One or 2 straps on the back 2 & you’re safe as houses.

In Ireland, RSA will do you for not having a load strapped down on a curtainsider ! Most guys don’t bother, I’ve always used the internal roof straps to secure loads. They argued with me at a check point that these were not good enough, after telling them the rating of the straps plus the fact that if the standard ratchet straps come loose you can’t see them inside the curtain, they backed down.

thanks for all the comments ,think i will just keep taking the stuff out with no straps seems most drivers do anyway ,if i was a permanent driver with them i might have put up a fight,but don’t think its worth kicking off ,

robf1234:
thanks for all the comments ,think i will just keep taking the stuff out with no straps seems most drivers do anyway ,if i was a permanent driver with them i might have put up a fight,but don’t think its worth kicking off ,

Asda curtainsiders do have a couple of ratchet straps on each side running length ways maybe this means that they don’t need strapping i don’t know, also i think Tescos has something similar.

bald bloke:
Asda curtainsiders do have a couple of ratchet straps on each side running length ways maybe this means that they don’t need strapping i don’t know, also i think Tescos has something similar.

These are so that you can strap cages into the curtainsider, you will see steel loops stitched into the strap every 2ft or so.

Loving that harness thing on the rigid, where are his internal straps just as a matter of curiosity and how does he move up and down the vehicle with a load on if it is strapped?

Zanfta:

chester:
I got myself in hot water last year on the agency reference strapping loads and a couple of big players.

A very big haulage company, a very big fizzy pop company and a collection in Yorkshire.

I was told off the haulage company 2 crossed straps at the rear would be sufficient, I asked how many pallets and how heavy would they be, answer I got from haulage company was… 26 pallets weighing about a ton each.

I then asked how 2 internal straps could restrain such a load.

After being told that this haulage company had VOSA dispensation to carry these loads :open_mouth: I was asked to leave site.

(Theys more to this story but I have to be careful what I say)

What happens with 1ton unstrapped pallet ! :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

youtube.com/watch?v=8HglQ4zg0aQ

If you loaded a truck like that, you deserve the £100 fine.

BIG AW:

bald bloke:
All pallets on curtainsiders need to be strapped down using the trailer straps fixed to the trailer. Pallets weighing over 400 kg need to have a ratchet strap put over them.

Load of ■■■■■■■■ its thats the case 95% of loads on curtain siders are illegal

It’s been law since 1986 apparently. However I only found this out a couple of months ago on a DCPC back to school session.

chester:
I got myself in hot water last year on the agency reference strapping loads and a couple of big players.

A very big haulage company, a very big fizzy pop company and a collection in Yorkshire.

I was told off the haulage company 2 crossed straps at the rear would be sufficient, I asked how many pallets and how heavy would they be, answer I got from haulage company was… 26 pallets weighing about a ton each.

After being told that this haulage company had VOSA dispensation to carry these loads :open_mouth: I was asked to leave site.

That sounds like Stobart and Coca Cola from M1 Junc 41, where you pass Morrisons on the right and find a layby to completely strip down your trailer. It was blowing a hooley when I did mine and it was a real struggle just to tie the curtains back.

That was some time ago and I don’t remember any issues with securing the load. Didn’t they have bars or boards or something similar to protect the curtain? I seem to recall a bin at the front where some kind of equipment was kept. I only did that s-hitty job once anyway.

The other drinks that I did were coming out of some place on the A650 between M62 J27 and Bradford. Pete Osbourn and his Innovate company did the work but no securing problems there, it was all carried in ambient fridge boxes, down to Tesco at Weybridge.

Dieseldoforme:

chester:

That sounds like Stobart and Coca Cola from M1 Junc 41, where you pass Morrisons on the right and find a layby to completely strip down your trailer. It was blowing a hooley when I did mine and it was a real struggle just to tie the curtains back.

That was some time ago and I don’t remember any issues with securing the load. Didn’t they have bars or boards or something similar to protect the curtain? I seem to recall a bin at the front where some kind of equipment was kept. I only did that s-hitty job once anyway.

The other drinks that I did were coming out of some place on the A650 between M62 J27 and Bradford. Pete Osbourn and his Innovate company did the work but no securing problems there, it was all carried in ambient fridge boxes, down to Tesco at Weybridge.

That would be Princes on Tong Street Bradford I reckon. Best canteen in West Yorkshire :stuck_out_tongue:

Dieseldoforme:

Yes. Every single Stobart curtainsider did including the TPT trailers he claims didn’t so basically he got the boot for not following company procedure.

Conor:
Yes. Every single Stobart curtainsider did including the TPT trailers he claims didn’t so basically he got the boot for not following company procedure.

Where have I mentioned Stobarts?
Where have I claimed a TPT trailer was involved?
Basically I got paid for doing nothing, no truck or trailer left the depot!

Unfortunately your application for a TNUK CSI Field Agent has been unsuccessful this time.

Wheel Nut:
That would be Princes on Tong Street Bradford I reckon.

Best canteen in West Yorkshire :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s the name ! Princes.

Never had a chance to use their canteen - we were always loaded in no time.

I often wondered how anyone could make money out of that coloured water,
we saw 2 litre bottles of the stuff on sale in Tesco for 10 pence.

You misquoted me.

chester:

Love it!

chester:
Last edited by chester on Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:54 pm,
edited 1 time in total.

Glad you corrected yourself.