Strapping a load

well just to let every one know i had my load refused today because i had ratchet straps on goods and caused about 10 grands worth of damage to the freight as goods were all plastic frames so i told my govoner its not my fault as all freight must be strapped so he told customer and they said that they are now going to take me to court to claim for damaged goods so bring it on and as of now i will be using internal straps so lets see what happens

dualflags:
well just to let every one know i had my load refused today because i had ratchet straps on goods and caused about 10 grands worth of damage to the freight as goods were all plastic frames so i told my govoner its not my fault as all freight must be strapped so he told customer and they said that they are now going to take me to court to claim for damaged goods so bring it on and as of now i will be using internal straps so lets see what happens

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=117081&p=1804012#p1804012

rha.uk.net/campaigning/press … of_pallets

fleetnews.co.uk/news/2014/4/ … ets/52276/

the page the rha are quoting is for double deckers not curtainsiders

dualflags:
the page the rha are quoting is for double deckers not curtainsiders

the point is DD or not its a curtainsider and it says internals to be used so take away the DD aspect what’s the difference oh yeah the load has further to fall from a DD therefore it Should by what everyone says need a heavier restraint …

dualflags:

If it’s now ok for you to use internal straps why not before is what they will claim so stay as you were with ratchet straps.

mac12:

dualflags:

If it’s now ok for you to use internal straps why not before is what they will claim so stay as you were with ratchet straps.

mac its never been not ok to use internals otherwise they wouldn’t be allowed to retro fit them in trailers :unamused:

Internals is only for “Light” goods… was the weight of the pallet and contents over 250kg?

What sort of plastic frames dual ?.. any pictures… surely if you’ve caused all this damaged to the tune of 10K and they gonna take your to court over it surely you took pictures for for your boss and the companies insurance company

trubster:
Internals is only for “Light” goods… was the weight of the pallet and contents over 250kg?

its actually 400kgs unless the straps are rated lower… baring in mind if your using ratchet straps they need a load rating and a certificate of rating every year I think the same as chains strops or any other equipment in that case .
I have yet to see an official document from any agency stating that internal equipment must NOT be used

nick2008:

mac12:

dualflags:

mac its never been not ok to use internals otherwise they wouldn’t be allowed to retro fit them in trailers :unamused:

I know that maybe I have not put it very well, what I mean is if they are going to take him to court first thing they will say is he could of used internals so if he starts they will be proved correct.

dualflags:

First off whoever told you this is a prick of the highest order. Your the driver and although it pains me to type this ‘you are just the driver’… your duty is to ensure the load is safe for transit, you are not part of the contract of sale, they cannot sue you for losses (chances are they are on a 30 day invoice anyway so have none).

Please name and shame the companies involved as this nonsense is total bollox.

Also the haulier will have insurance in place to protect against this. You as the driver cannot be sued for damaging a load using excessive load restraints.

The haulier should have procedures and advice in place to ensure drivers are aware of how loads of this nature should be secured, this advice should be passed by the DVSA to ensure compliance / load security & load integrity.

If this criteria cannot be met then a different transit method is needed. i.e box van, container etc…

mac12:

nick2008:

mac12:

dualflags:

I know that maybe I have not put it very well, what I mean is if they are going to take him to court first thing they will say is he could of used internals so if he starts they will be proved correct.

the biggest problem mac is there’s all this talk about your NOT allowed to do or use this and that but No-one has produced a letter from ANY official legal body stating anything but recommendation or advice

It’s all typical coffee machine rumours. One guy hears something, and passes it one, but adds a little bit. By the time it gets to the tenth guy, it’s been blown out of all proportion. NOBODY has ever said everything HAS to be strapped!!!

sayersy:
It’s all typical coffee machine rumours. One guy hears something, and passes it one, but adds a little bit. By the time it gets to the tenth guy, it’s been blown out of all proportion. NOBODY has ever said everything HAS to be strapped!!!

Correct just secured

Typical though, can’t do right for doing wrong :grimacing:

dualflags:

Sorry dude, no sympathy from me whatsoever, you sound like a yes man to me. I don’t mean that offensively but I suppose it comes across as that. If I was your gaffer, id tell you to stop being so soft & get yourself down the road, drive steady & you be golden.

Silver_Surfer:

dualflags:

Sorry dude, no sympathy from me whatsoever, you sound like a yes man to me. I don’t mean that offensively but I suppose it comes across as that. If I was your gaffer, id tell you to stop being so soft & get yourself down the road, drive steady & you be golden.

Would you pick up the tab on any fines your drivers incurred from vosa, if the driver used internal straps?

Silver_Surfer:

Yeah that kind of attitude is why we lose the most loads in Europe. You do realise it isn’t the 1970s any more?

Conor:

Silver_Surfer:

Yeah that kind of attitude is why we lose the most loads in Europe. You do realise it isn’t the 1970s any more?

Is there a link for this?

My research has been unable to locate a single instance of someone being injured due to palletised goods coming off a curtainsider in transit.

This sounds a bit like your constant claims that Dcpc was introduced because it existing drivers need training (which is totally untrue).

pete-b:

Silver_Surfer:

dualflags:

Would you pick up the tab on any fines your drivers incurred from vosa, if the driver used internal straps?

No I would take it to court for them to decide and not accept the fixed penalty.