Strapping a load

pete-b:

Silver_Surfer:

dualflags:
well just to let every one know i had my load refused today because i had ratchet straps on goods and caused about 10 grands worth of damage to the freight as goods were all plastic frames so i told my govoner its not my fault as all freight must be strapped so he told customer and they said that they are now going to take me to court to claim for damaged goods so bring it on and as of now i will be using internal straps so lets see what happens

Sorry dude, no sympathy from me whatsoever, you sound like a yes man to me. I don’t mean that offensively but I suppose it comes across as that. If I was your gaffer, id tell you to stop being so soft & get yourself down the road, drive steady & you be golden.

Would you pick up the tab on any fines your drivers incurred from vosa, if the driver used internal straps?

Yes!

Conor:

Silver_Surfer:
Sorry dude, no sympathy from me whatsoever, you sound like a yes man to me. I don’t mean that offensively but I suppose it comes across as that. If I was your gaffer, id tell you to stop being so soft & get yourself down the road, drive steady & you be golden.

Yeah that kind of attitude is why we lose the most loads in Europe. You do realise it isn’t the 1970s any more?

I’ve not lost one in the last ten years.

Silver_Surfer:

Conor:

Silver_Surfer:

Yeah that kind of attitude is why we lose the most loads in Europe. You do realise it isn’t the 1970s any more?

you don’t have to lose a load for it to be unsafe that’s the point :unamused:

nick2008:

Silver_Surfer:

Conor:

Silver_Surfer:

you don’t have to lose a load for it to be unsafe that’s the point :unamused:

Would you be able to point me in the direction of some case law?

At the end of the day, the customers themselves have to take some responsibility. If they have something fragile, then it should be inside a packing case, or other suitable outer so it can be secured to the vehicle without damage. Think of it akin to sending something through the post, if you don’t want it damaged then you’d wrap the item in bubble wrap or corrugated cardboard.

Too many customers like to thrust the problem onto the haulier, but they are the ones that just plonk stuff on the bed of the truck.

dualflags:
well just to let every one know i had my load refused today because i had ratchet straps on goods and caused about 10 grands worth of damage to the freight as goods were all plastic frames so i told my govoner its not my fault as all freight must be strapped so he told customer and they said that they are now going to take me to court to claim for damaged goods so bring it on and as of now i will be using internal straps so lets see what happens

you should take them to court yourself for unexpected risk

seriously now, when you strapped them down, did you not think it would damage the cargo or just went - oh well, not my problem, cargo be secure now? did you ask the sender how to secure them?

dualflags:

Sounds like you over did it a bit on the ratchet

You don’t just tie down everything with massive pressure willy nilly, you use common sense to judge the fragility of the load and secure it appropriately.

In years gone by on flatbeds corner boards would have been used for this purpose, or fragile items might have been in stillages or cages or strapped by the manufacturer to pallets, and those secured instead.

Talking about ‘retrofit’, ours have just had some fitted over the weekend…not quite sure how we go about strapping up though, as the load is already on long before my start time, so the straps were tucked nicely between or under the pallet each pallet. 2 were left damaged and hanging from the roof and 1 was on the floor knackered! Apart from starting 3 hours earlier every day so we can strap each one as it’s loaded, not sure of the best way to go about this as, in the 8 years or so I’ve been there, they’ve never had usable straps in! I’m guessing they’ll have to be crossed over the trailer, which would mean hanging/balancing on the side of the trailer and launching 'em over the top…not much risk involved then! As you can see, much of the light, bendy stuff is on the top and this would mess up a fair bit of the load and due to the size/shape of the light/bendy stuff and the rest of the foodstuff that is carried, straps won’t make difference at all in load security. Most of the time all pallets are shrink wrapped pretty well and so far, nothing has gone over!