Straight on, turn right, right again, right again,

Did anyone just hear on the radio that the latest scheme to be considered to protect cyclists, is to stop lorries turning left! Eh ? :open_mouth:

Really :question: :question: :bulb: :question: :exclamation:

pmsl :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Yeah I heard that. :smiley: :smiley: should make navigating the capital err “interesting” .

You can’t be serious?!

Just been talking to a FORS auditor and guess what … It seems this is serious!!

Something about must approach from a clockwise direction or something - so maybe there’s something behind the rumours.

I suggested change the law so cyclists can ride on the pavement and make it illegal to go down near side of a truck and job done

This was on the BBC London news earlier, basically there will be approved routes to building sites etc to reduce the amount of left turns.
God knows how it will work, and surely there can’t be approved routes to every single delivery location in London.
Makes me wonder if it’s just London that has problems with cyclists getting crushed by trucks or does it happen in other cities, here or abroad, and how do they cope?

Does this mean Johnny Foreigner won’t be allowed to turn right?

standard.co.uk/news/transpor … 24376.html

Another of that blond idiot’s hair brained ideas. He also wants alarms in the cabs to warn drivers of something on the n/s. A loudspeaker on the outside with the message ‘■■■■ off or die you idiot’ would be more useful.

So now a right turn is less dangerous than a left :open_mouth: Wot a bloody scatter brain this bloke really is. What a shame that lorry drivers of all sorts can’t afford (wages wise) to refuse London altogether. It’s a minefield for you lot ain’t it.

shep532:
I suggested change the law so cyclists can ride on the pavement and make it illegal to go down near side of a truck and job done

Since when have you ever known cyclists to give a ■■■■ if somethings illegal for them to do? They do as they please and its everyone elses responsibility to make sure they are kept safe while bombing about without a care in the world.

More and more legislation on the lorry driver yet the accident rate stays the same.

Quite obviously the problem is located elsewhere. But while there’s money to be made it’ll always be the lorry drivers fault.

Glad I only have to drive a truck in to London 2 or 3 times a year for gigs. Hate the place. Even only driving in and out at night I feel like a victim the entire time. I can ignore horn beeping and light flashing when I’m taking up room I need but trying to look in 6 different mirrors at once just destroys me.

The-Snowman:

shep532:

Since when have you ever known cyclists to give a ■■■■ if somethings illegal for them to do? They do as they please and its everyone elses responsibility to make sure they are kept safe while bombing about without a care in the world.

Yes you are right but if it was clearly illegal it might keep some HGV drivers outta prison

peterm:
So now a right turn is less dangerous than a left :open_mouth: Wot a bloody scatter brain this bloke really is. What a shame that lorry drivers of all sorts can’t afford (wages wise) to refuse London altogether. It’s a minefield for you lot ain’t it.

have managed to avoid London for most of my time driving hate the place full of southeners, and if it can go wrong it will. send me anywhere else other than London or I go home :open_mouth: .

:laughing:

Turn right, turn right, turn right, then turn right once more and you’ll see a brown ring in front of you, you’ve just caught up with your arse!

peterm:

Yes peterm a right turn is less dangerous than a left. Did you not realise that? :unamused:

Hang on letting cyclists ride on the pavement would not be a good idea. What about pedestrians? The pavement is for them or maybe they could go on the road beside the traffic?
Pavements are for pedestrians. NOT cyclists or parking on like a lot of motorists seem to think is ok.

Best plan to stop all the deaths is for lorry drivers to be more alert and start using their mirrors properly.

You can’t always blame the lorry driver, jesus. It’s fast paced in the metropolis. You have 6 mirrors, 2 windows and a windscreen to check all in a split second. And be sure that at least 3 people will be encroaching on your space from at least 2 of those directions. This industry and it’s drivers have been regulated to death on this issue, and it keeps occurring. It’s about time some of the responsibility was squared at the cyclists. I enjoy cycling, but on the weekend in a country park not far from my house. All the tea in China wouldn’t get me riding a bicycle on the road, you’re little more than a pedestrian, in terms of visibility, speed and size. And you wouldn’t walk in the middle of the road, would you

albion1971:

Hang on letting cyclists ride on the pavement would not be a good idea. What about pedestrians? The pavement is for them or maybe they could go on the road beside the traffic?
Pavements are for pedestrians. NOT cyclists or parking on like a lot of motorists seem to think is ok.

Best plan to stop all the deaths is for lorry drivers to be more alert and start using their mirrors properly.

The cycle paths around here are on the pavements. Cyclists and pedestrians is a safer combination than cyclists and motorised vehicles