Stowaway killed

Got to agree with you there Ralliesport…And for the record, it frustrates me intensely that I’m not free to ever give my personal view on these sorts of threads. I have a job to do and therefore have to enforce the rules as I am told to do, follow the line that I am told the Company is following, for the reasons that I am told must follow it.

Whatever your view, I think that the sheer volume of response this subject generates wherever it is discussed,and strength of feeling seen in the replies should be seen as a wake up call for a Government who are obviously seriously out of step with the views of the majority of the electorate.

Dave540:
Did the ‘ol bill’ blame the driver? Thats the normal case of action is’nt it? :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

According to my boss this week Ex-Hell it is not the drivers responsibility for the load and the management can ovewrride a drivers concerns so it cant be the drivers fault if he works for DHL, Deutchse ■■■■ or Ecky thump El.

Tramper:

Spardo:
Nice people

:unamused: You keep the … in france then!

If it was up to me, I would, sooner than rejoice in a death. The majority of posters in this thread are either ghouls or braggarts.
I hope it’s the latter.

Salut, David.

Spardo:

Tramper:

Spardo:
Nice people

If it was up to me, I would, sooner than rejoice in a death.

Salut, David.

me too Spardo,

Ok, he shouldn’t have been there and this country needs a proper system of immigration (maybe along the lines of the US or canada ?) but this guy died,
somewhere there are parents and family grieving their loss, do those of you think its tough really think that little of others :question:

Denis F:

Spardo:

Tramper:

Spardo:
Nice people

Salut, David.

me too Spardo,

Ok, he shouldn’t have been there and this country needs a proper system of immigration (maybe along the lines of the US or canada ?) but this guy died,
somewhere there are parents and family grieving their loss, do those of you think its tough really think that little of others :question:

That’s true enough Dennis & I am sorry for their loss

but

This fella chose to smuggle himself into this lorry and he chose to jump from it when he did (I’m assuming as the lorry was slowing and manouvering into the services, He either thought that the driver had reached his destination or was pulling over to take a break & it was a possibilty the driver may check his load, and there was a risk of being caught)

What about the trauma the driver is now going through because of the actions of another.The driver didn’t choose to have this man in his truck it was imposed upon him.He now has to live with the fact that another man has died and the instrument of his death is the vehicle he was in charge of.

He’ll probably spend the rest of his life going through the what if’s

In my opinion he is in no way to blame (unless he was aware and complicit in the smuggling).There is no logical reason for these people to be in the back of his vehicle.They must have passed through at least one other safe country to get to the UK.

If anybody can give me a good logical reason (that dosn’t involve our more generous welfare system) as to why they didn’t claim assylum (if they are assylum seekers) in any other country other than the UK I’d like to hear it.

north surrey haulage:
If anybody can give me a good logical reason (that dosn’t involve our more generous welfare system) as to why they didn’t claim assylum (if they are assylum seekers) in any other country other than the UK I’d like to hear it.

Language. Could be they speak English as a second language, rather than French, German, Flemish etc. If I was to move to another country I would most likely choose one where I could speak at least some of the language, it would make life easier.

:unamused: This person took the gamble and lost. If he hadn’t been in the trailer, he wouldn’t have died, end of story.

Denis F:
but this guy died,

they were proberley in the trailer egging him on.

north surrey haulage:
What about the trauma the driver is now going through because of the actions of another.The driver didn’t choose to have this man in his truck it was imposed upon him.He now has to live with the fact that another man has died and the instrument of his death is the vehicle he was in charge of.

He’ll probably spend the rest of his life going through the what if’s

In my opinion he is in no way to blame (unless he was aware and complicit in the smuggling).

nobody can blame the driver - if he was aware they were there surely he would have let them out when he stopped somewhere

Coffeeholic:

north surrey haulage:

Language. Could be they speak English as a second language, rather than French, German, Flemish etc. If I was to move to another country I would most likely choose one where I could speak at least some of the language, it would make life easier.

Fair enough Neil but if you were running for your life (assylum) would you not stop running as soon as you were safe?

Why not declare themselves to the authorities when they arrive instead of trying to remain clandestine?

north surrey haulage:

Coffeeholic:

north surrey haulage:

Fair enough Neil but if you were running for your life (assylum) would you not stop running as soon as you were safe?

Why not declare themselves to the authorities when they arrive instead of trying to remain clandestine?

You asked for any reason other than the welfare system, I made a suggestion. That’s it as far as this discussion and my input goes. It bores me when it comes up, on an increasingly regular basis, and the same old crap gets churned out again and again.

Coffeeholic:
[
You asked for any reason other than the welfare system, I made a suggestion. That’s it as far as this discussion and my input goes. It bores me when it comes up, on an increasingly regular basis, and the same old crap gets churned out again and again.

Spot on, me too.

Salut, David.

jessicas dad:
http://www.paramedic.org.uk/Members/pcdevils/stowawaykilledinlorryfall

I couldn’t find the story, I need incidents like this to pass on to my MP.

In my opinion this whole subject became dirty when innocent drivers were made to pay fines for “brining” this people into the country. Its all very well for people who’ve never driven abroad to make all sorts of claims as to what a driver should or should not do but the reality is that illegal immigrants can be placed into your trailer very easily without your knowledge by criminal gangs who are professionals at doing so. Its also not unheared of for immigrants to swap trailers once onboard ship so that Mr BG Willi Betz doesn’t get caught and Mr GB whoever does as he drives off in Dover. It even happened to my dad once and he only got away with it as the immigrant in question confessed to swapping trailers during the night once onboard the ferry.

At the end of the day I dont want them dead, not unless its one of the scum ones who attacks you when you try and clear them off but when it comes down to me getting fined £2000 per person (if thats what it still is?) then I’m sorry but I work ■■■■ hard for my money, 60-70hrs a week, away all week etc and if anyone tries to take that away from me they’ll get absolutely no sympathy should the worse happen.

I only arrived back in Dover lastnight from Calais and as my trailer was sealed due to a very valuable load I could not check inside, for all I know there could have been 10 Afghans in there, fortunetely there wasn’t but its a disgraceful position for a driver to be put under.

if ‘our friends’ the French implemented there own border controls as fastidous as our port authorities,then maybe another death could have been avoided.Instead of turning a blind eye and passing another buck.A lot of these illegals also speak fluent french,but be-cause were the ‘soft-touch’ of the world,they all head here instead.Stop all benifets,health-care and housing full-stop,we have enough feckless,spineless trash of our own milking the system,oh stop there hand-outs too.Out of interest did the French compensate all those British Owner-Drivers an companies from a few years back when all there port-workers went on strike,costing them millions?
:imp: :imp: :imp:

I think the French think we get all we ask for. They queue up in their country to come HERE. Why are they gonna stop them?
Going back a few years ago i was chatting over some dinner with a big guy called Stuart who used to drive (maybe still does) for Shirley tankers. He was telling me how he was not long out of a 2 year spell in the nick for being caught with illegals on board. Thats terrible i said, how can they do that to you? "Oh, i was getting £1500 a pop for each one he said!!

ok so if they had nothing to queue-up for ie A FREE LUNCH! for as long as they live,by stopping all benefit payments etc then surely life in France would seem a better option?as they know the laungage! and poor old Stuart will have to find another ‘second income’ EUREKA :exclamation: he could do a role-reversal maybe smuggle all our unwanted garbage to the continent! Then we could get-on with the job of re-building our severely-ill country :frowning: Im putting my soap box away now! until the next time! :wink: :slight_smile:

Stuart who used to drive (maybe still does) for Shirley tankers. He was telling me how he was not long out of a 2 year spell in the nick for being caught with illegals on board. Thats terrible i said, how can they do that to you? "Oh, i was getting £1500 a pop for each one he said!!

so that Mr BG Willi Betz doesn’t get caught and Mr GB whoever does

Hmmm, some people believe everything they hear eh Eldor… See top quote, its not just the Betz blokes that do it you know

Borders are artificial barriers to the free movement of trade and people and it’s not surprising that many are tempted to chase the earnings and lifestyle available in wealthier countries, or that they are prepared to risk their necks in the persuit of it.

Although I think that it is the business of politicians to moderate this movement, I don’t take any pleasure in the death of a stowaway and I’m saddened by the gloating which seems to abound among truck drivers.

On the one, early-morning half-asleep occasion when I detected Somali stowaways in my trailer (at Calais) I ejected them with my most psychotic glare and a claw hammer in my hammering hand, having heard the stories of attacked drivers, but instead discovered the most miserable, shivering, starving bunch of people that I had ever encountered.

I ended up feeling so sorry for them that I gave them some orange juice from my fridge and 5 euros for bread.

You wouldn’t really choose to sleep in minus 8 Celsius in a lorry trailer in february in Calais unless you were desperate I suppose.

Denis F:

Spardo:

Tramper:

Spardo:
Nice people

Salut, David.

me too Spardo,

The US immigration system is very faulty. Around 11 million illegals here at last estimate, thats like everyone in London using the infastructure and not paying tax.

It’s sad that so many people’s lives are that desperate they have to take huge risks to find a better life.