Stops/Checks

How often, on average are you stopped or checked by the DVSA (used to be VOSA)
Weekly? Monthly? Yearly?

Roughly 5 times in 30 years, last being about 2015.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

Twice in 45 years, and 3 or 4 times for a fuel quality check (red diesel).

Twice…

In 40 years by the DVSA.

Twice a month by various European police forces and customs agents.

Twice in 27 years.
Last time was 2012. Brand new unit with only 1500k on the clock :smiley: Examiner took one look at me, rolled his eyes and cursed the police office that flagged me over.
“Quick check of the tacho and away you go” he said lol Tht was at the dissused one at Bingham near Nottingham,

Your survey doesn’t allow for the above answers or mine, 3 times in 20 years

Funny enough Monday just gone, got pulled into the site junc 18 M4, weighed truck, downloaded cards got tape measure out and then said

Your vehicle is overlength driver [emoji848] really are you sure? Yep max is 18.75m, I said that’s for a drawbar, this is an artic, much head scratching and a couple more visits to his office, I then had to ring my office so they could explain the rules to him.

To finish off my 45mins visit he then said,
I’m gonna take a picture if that’s OK cos I’ve never seen 1 of these before and I can show my colleagues [emoji54][emoji54]

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

probably half a dozen times over 47 years, incl the first time which was in a rented 7.5 tonner before i took the lorry test.

1 of those was fuel dip only, as only Customs and Excise in the layby.
Usually weighing was the prime reason, was on bulk tippers many years ago so always a likely target (no onboard weighing), and latterly they took more interest in car transporters especially when carrying heavy 4x4s and big cars generally, though they missed a trick for a lot of years because some of the more cowboyish operators derated the gvw’s to barely workable weights to save tax.

voted never because barely worth mentioning the number of times.

Wakou, I’m sure if you got pulled over they’d be racists no doubt.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Nearly every week that I was in UK when I was driving lhd foreign registered trucks. :unamused:
(Including my local one which caused amusement when I answered the guy in a local accent when he said… ‘‘Good morning driver how are you’’ in a shouty slow precise way that the Brits usually talk to foreigners. :laughing: )
In the 12 years I’ve been off that job,.twice, once at Beattock,.and once in N.Wales.

Last stop was September last year so doing well at the minute (probably just put the jinx on it now :smiley:) prior to that probably about once a month, with a previous firm was a weekly ordeal and sometimes twice in a week nothing like being on first name terms with all the staff in Bamber Bridge.

Most times in a day was 3 in Holyhead, once heading to the port, then had to cadge a lift back to Bangor services to collect a unit, the guy I got the lift off got pulled sat for an hour and a half while they checked him, then surprise surprise on the way back in with the other unit, DVSA man did see the funny side some of them do have a sense of humour :slight_smile:

My TM used to call me “Goldenballs” Because I literally never got any checks/searches ever. Even when he was with me he would change drivers before we got to Dover or Calais. And I would “sail through”
I could have smuggled tonnes! But I never did!

4 times in 56 years,and 3 of them basically in and out(Shell gas tankers) and the last 4 driving left hand drive dutch plated , never been stopped yet

In the UK once in 21 years, and even then it was just a tap of the nuts with a hammer and away you go :open_mouth:

In Euroland I got pulled at least once a week. Aachen was often a hotspot, as was Hazeldonk in the Netherlands, and also around Velenciennes in France.

Not been stopped for well over a decade, can’t even recall the last time I was. I think I’ve maybe been pulled in 5, maybe 10 times in 26 years and most of those were over a 2 year period when I was driving an old shed of a wagon on dock work for an OD who got delusions of grandure and one of those times was when I was doing holiday cover for another company for a driver who was on the same contract and was so appalled at the state of his lorry I voluntarily drove it into the checkpoint on the A63 and pointed out everything to look for. Delayed GV9 giving me an hour to get back to the dock so I could get my car and go home and next time I saw him he was in a very tidy Volvo F10. I’m guessing the guy who owned it took it to get the prohibition lifted and it was cheaper to scrap it and buy another motor than fix it.

I remember once being pulled outside Liverpool Docks where they closed off an entire street, you were given a clipboard and there was everyone from the RSPCA to DSS and wheel tappers there and you drove up the street getting checked by each agency. Also remember when driving a tanker for NFT Coldstream being pulled into the checkpoint on the M74, them seeing the name of the company and telling me no need to stop, carry on drive.

I remember once being pulled outside Liverpool Docks where they closed off an entire street, you were given a clipboard and there was everyone from the RSPCA to DSS and wheel tappers there and you drove up the street getting checked by each agency. Also remember when driving a tanker for NFT Coldstream being pulled into the checkpoint on the M74, them seeing the name of the company and telling me no need to stop, carry on drive. quote conor… ::

yep seen a few of those multi department ops over the years, i think they call it operation utah?.

to answer the op been stopped 3 times in 38 years with no issues but was pulled about 7 times by the douanes and always on the corridor heading home once again no issues…

Quite often :unamused:

Quite often when I was on tankers but that was invariably by a policeman who’d just finished a course on hazardous chemicals and was eager to try out his new found knowledge.

The last time I was physically checked by them was last century. I did get pulled into Beattock a couple of years ago and hurriedly sent straight back out by the supervisor with an apology on behalf of his colleague as we operate (the name escapes me) where DVSA have full access to all of our records.

Edit to add; “earned recognition “

Punchy Dan:

probably to admire a nice but older bit of kit dan… :sunglasses: :wink:

m.a.n rules:

Punchy Dan:

probably to admire a nice but older bit of kit dan… :sunglasses: :wink:

Cheers :wink: ,the problem is they see my tyres walk all round send me on my way which doesn’t help boost my score !