Stops/Checks

In my small haulier days, far to often. Now working for high street chains and super markets, once in 20 years

I heard in Euro land it is best to keep a few notes in your pocket just in case you get pulled over. And never put all stopcheck money in your wallet with the rest of your money otherwise they know you have more. :stuck_out_tongue:.

How true that is? No idea.

I’ve never been stopped before.

Three times in about 30 years; first way back when I got a ticket for excess black smoke, once in an Owens’ lorry for a routine tacho check (no issues) and once in my old van when Customs were dipping for red diesel. Didn’t get checked for the latter as I’d only just filled up 100 yards down the road, showed him the receipt, he said OK, quick check of my lights and on my way, waving happily at the half dozen or so tree loppers and scrap cowboys sitting disconsolately in their Transit pickups.

Then again for the last 16 years I’ve worked for companies who are on the DVSA green list.

adam277:
I heard in Euro land it is best to keep a few notes in your pocket just in case you get pulled over. And never put all stopcheck money in your wallet with the rest of your money otherwise they know you have more. :stuck_out_tongue:.

How true that is? No idea.

I’ve never been stopped before.

Oh dear you’ve been in to many RDC’s waiting rooms
Or in your case TOSCO drivers room

Beatock 3 times ,Ross 3 times ,Carlisle 2 times ,Sleaford once ,Uttoxeter once ,A55 once ,Walton Summit once ,Market Drayton once ,Staples Corner once ,M4 /A46 once ,Birdwell once ,wetherby once ,wall 3 times ,Ainley top once ,plus others when I remember :laughing:

Russia too many times to list
Lithuania Latvia Poland the Ukraine
Germany Belgium Holland France and Spain
Slovenia Serbia Bulgaria Romania
Never in any Scandinavian country’s Finland or Norway ?
Maybe they think we brits are law abiding
I’m sure there’s others but that’s the joy of continental

Punchy Dan:
Beatock 3 times ,Ross 3 times ,Carlisle 2 times ,Sleaford once ,Uttoxeter once ,A55 once ,Walton Summit once ,Market Drayton once ,Staples Corner once ,M4 /A46 once ,Birdwell once ,wetherby once ,wall 3 times ,Ainley top once ,plus others when I remember :laughing:

:open_mouth:

Blimey Dan, have you got a large sign that say’s ‘DVSA ■■■■■’ on yer roof?

Got pulled once where they were netting everybody. Had a 10’ container on and they complained it wasn’t on twistlocks. Two straps wasn’t deemed enough but they were happy for me to throw another over it.

Only other time was got flagged into weighbridge at Hastingwood, empty plant lorry so seemed a bit pointless. Asked me some questions, quick look at lights and I was off. I had just dropped a rough looking load of site materials just up the road, however you did that site you had to go past the roundabout one way or other. I wisely decided that it was best to pass it empty. Some of the old tat I’d be tasked with moving just screamed stop me!

yourhavingalarf:

Punchy Dan:

Edit once on the A27 by Newhaven and once by the Austrians bottom of the Brenner ,sandbach services and a lay-by in Chesterfield.

yourhavingalarf:

Punchy Dan:

Or maybe a sign that says “I ■■■■ DVSA”?

the maoster:
Quite often when I was on tankers but that was invariably by a policeman who’d just finished a course on hazardous chemicals and was eager to try out his new found knowledge.

The last time I was physically checked by them was last century. I did get pulled into Beattock a couple of years ago and hurriedly sent straight back out by the supervisor with an apology on behalf of his colleague as we operate (the name escapes me) where DVSA have full access to all of our records.

Edit to add; “earned recognition “

I used to enjoy the jobsworth with a new ADR licence, mainly because they didn’t always understand the Kemler Code. IMDG etc.

Fire extinguishers that had the date they were tested and not the date they expired. :laughing:

“Has your tank been purged?” no its loaded, “I need to see your purging certificate.” Tough. I havent got one. :stuck_out_tongue:

I even had one pleb who was trying to quiz me on a Tremcard (IIW) saying I should have memorised it. :stuck_out_tongue:

^^^^ I got stopped on the A19 last century whilst pulling a brand new Co2 barrel by the archetypal world weary traffic Sargeant and a keen as mustard and freshly qualified, out to impress PC. The PC went about his inspection diligently and then proceeded to berate me for not having access ladders so he could check that my manlids were secure. He then threatened me about the lack of a trailer fire extinguisher.

After my raised eyebrows and smirk the Sergeant went on to patiently explain to his protege that firstly it was a pressure tanker therefore there were no manlids before finishing by pointing out that it was in fact a forty foot long fire extinguisher.

Bless him :wink: