Stopping on hard shoulder

Well, I admit it, I was in the wrong today, got held up on the M11 south after all the people wanted to slow down and have a look at the van that was on fire at 07.00 this morning, s/bound before J8, this was around 11.00, then held up on M25 because of the ■■■■ up at J28, looked at the tacho, ■■■■, 4.12 and I’m between 27 and 28, never make thurrock, so I stopped on the hard shoulder and took a 30, already had a 15 earlier, traffic was crawling and there was two flip flops an a brit there as well.
Just on 28 mins, plod blips his siren and pulls in front of me, asks me why I have stopped, I told him I’d been stuck in the queue’s and ran short of time, was told in no uncertain terms to move it and get off at next junction, he went on to say you are a professional driver, you should manage your time better, don’t be like all the foreigners that sleep along here at nights, I could charge you, it is an endorsable offence, but move along, so I just said, understood officer and started up to move off, my break was up by then anyway, but I saw him pulling other drivers on the hard shoulder as I crawled along, but only the brits.
Sapper

Should have driven to Thurrock and done a print out and write why you went over on the back of the printout.

Yes I know conor, just my wanting to keep a clean card, the next time it’s a printout.

Sapper

The other stuff aside, how does he expect you to mange your time better? :open_mouth:
Is he suggesting you reset your driving time at 3+ hours just in case you hit a jam, or buy a bloody crystal ball? :laughing:

Rock and a hard place really isn’t it? I have a couple of times gone over either driving or working time due to unforseen and unavoidable traffic delays (fatal RTA etc) and have simply done a print out, took the inevitable infringement on the chin but luckily have not been stopped by the authorities and asked to explain it.

Tbh I’d quite happily have my day in court in these circumstances and explain we’re neither robots nor psychic and sometimes stuff happens.

The alternative is drivers coming off at unfamiliar junctions looking for places to park for a break and we all know where that leads to don’t we?

sapper:
he went on to say you are a professional driver, you should manage your time better, don’t be like all the foreigners that sleep along here at nights, I could charge you, it is an endorsable offence, but move along, so I just said, understood officer and started up to move off, my break was up by then anyway, but I saw him pulling other drivers on the hard shoulder as I crawled along, but only the brits.
Sapper

I call ■■■■■■■■ on this whole section here, esp the last bit about only pulling over the brits.

Evil8beezle, they really don’t care about us drivers, we can be stuck every day in some cases on a motorway, for the time that it makes you run out of time, many times in a month and that’s all you get from them “manage your time”, I’m pretty sure DVSA will take a dim view if you have to write on your printout that you ran out of time again, because you only allowed yourself 3 hours to get from j25 to j28, all thanks to road closures and bloody roadworks and accidents.

Sapper

Without googling what do you think the hard should of a motorway is for?

chester:

Checking your prostate? :open_mouth:

chester:

For Robroy to undertake cars that get in his way.

chester:

I didn’t Google hard shoulder…

I did however Google translate…

umăr greu este pentru dormit pe tine englez prost

The amount of people who should know better who misuse the hard shoulder is shocking. Its one of the most dangerous places to be and personally I’d only stop there if left no choice at all.

Contraflow:

chester:

For Robroy to undertake cars that get in his way.

No that’s so last year, I take them in lane 3 only nowadays :smiley:

What gets me is Police cars pull vehicles in, sit behind said vehicles with the offending driver in the back seat getting a lecture.
Then they say …‘On a breakdown it is safer for the occupants to vacate’ So what is it safe in a Police car only? :open_mouth:

I have not been pulled for a while now…(ooh Mrs :smiley: ) but I reckon I would tell them I refuse to sit in back of car but will pull in hard shoulder of next slip further up where it is safer.

sapper:
Well, I admit it, I was in the wrong today, got held up on the M11 south after all the people wanted to slow down and have a look at the van that was on fire at 07.00 this morning, s/bound before J8, this was around 11.00, then held up on M25 because of the ■■■■ up at J28, looked at the tacho, [zb], 4.12 and I’m between 27 and 28, never make thurrock, so I stopped on the hard shoulder and took a 30, already had a 15 earlier, traffic was crawling and there was two flip flops an a brit there as well.
Just on 28 mins, plod blips his siren and pulls in front of me, asks me why I have stopped, I told him I’d been stuck in the queue’s and ran short of time, was told in no uncertain terms to move it and get off at next junction, he went on to say you are a professional driver, you should manage your time better, don’t be like all the foreigners that sleep along here at nights, I could charge you, it is an endorsable offence, but move along, so I just said, understood officer and started up to move off, my break was up by then anyway, but I saw him pulling other drivers on the hard shoulder as I crawled along, but only the brits.
Sapper

Ok. So it’s really quite simple. Whilst it is illegal to stop on the hard shoulder, even for a legal break, simply pop the hood and step over the barrier and if and when plod/vosa/dvla or whoever pull in front of you, to announce the death penalty, whilst grinning like the cat that’s got the ■■■■, explain to them that you can smell smoke. It does work better if you unscrew the radiator filler cap. But I guarantee once you have told them you have contacted recovery unit, they will drive on.

Before you know it, hey presto 45 minutes have passed by.

Bingo!!

robroy:
What gets me is Police cars pull vehicles in, sit behind said vehicles with the offending driver in the back seat getting a lecture.
Then they say …‘On a breakdown it is safer for the occupants to vacate’ So what is it safe in a Police car only? :open_mouth:

I have not been pulled for a while now…(ooh Mrs :smiley: ) but I reckon I would tell them I refuse to sit in back of car but will pull in hard shoulder of next slip further up where it is safer.

“No problem, sir, I’m arresting you for obstructing a police officer in the line of duty”, they take you to the nick, everyone’s happy :laughing:

exit:

robroy:

“No problem, sir, I’m arresting you for obstructing a police officer in the line of duty”, they take you to the nick, everyone’s happy :laughing:

Yeh well at least getting arrested is not life threatening is it.

exit:

Do you book that as POA or can you claim it as break as long as you’re lay on the bunk once at the nick?

robroy:
Yeh well at least getting arrested is not life threatening is it.

It is in Glasgow if you ask them if they can smell bacon…

Big deal over nothing again, you have a clock and a digi card ■■■■ the copper the judge looks at the time and distance and he throws it out, its common sense, so you keep on going for safe place to park