Stop & Help?

Today I came across a clearly lost Danish artic in the Essex badlands so I stopped and got the driver going in the right direction with some basic instructions. If I see someone who is clearly from out of the area or country who seems to be struggling I’ll always stop if I know the area.

I’d like to think that the favour will be repaid one day. Anyone else stop and help?

I’ve often had drivers stop asking for directions if I know where they’re going then I point them in the right direction. Once got a free lift up to Saint Gobain once when I was working there on apprenticeship as a driver stopped asking where it was, got a free lift and spared me £2.10 on the bus fair :laughing: :smiley:

Cheers

Jonny :sunglasses:

Would be rude not too!

To be honest i wouldn’t purposely stop, dont get me wrong if i was stopped at a customer or in a layby i wouldn’t mind giving directions infact not long ago i jump started a polish guy who had been stuck in this layby all weekend because of a flat battery.

Well i never jump started him he had the cable etc i just provided the battery when he opened his side locker he had every tool you could ever imagine in there :laughing:

Not a problem. What goes around etc…

Always help if I can :smiley:

i did once,i think he was turkish,but long time ago so not 100% sure,he pulled up in middle of road with hazards on,runs back and wants directions to langar ind est[firm],i tried to explain but struggling so in the end i got through to him to follow me as on way home,pulls up on bingham bypas and points out road to take,with that he grabs me[middle of night on bingham bypass] :frowning: :open_mouth: :frowning: and starts to hug me,]i tried to push him away to explain the english way is a shake of the hand but he hung on :frowning: [what anyone would of thought of two burly truckers hugging each other in middle of nightn on bypass i dont know,but that was it for me,i drive past now as quick as i can,i do help foreigners at rdc etc,but the first sign of movement im ready to run :frowning: :frowning:

I’ve followed a polish artic down some of the back lanes of hertfordshire and could tell he was in a proper muddle, he pulled over and i got along side him, couldn’t really help much where the address he was looking for but gave some pointers.

There was an agency driver in the yard this morning looking abit puzzled, so asked if he was ok and offered to help him work out his run and what he had on etc and gave directions to the hard to find places.

i will help if possible, saw a bloke not so long ago on my way to work a bit lost near where i live, it was kinda obvious where he was going coz i live in the middle of nowhere and there aint alot about haha anyway when he pulled up i stopped in front of him told him where to go, then watched him back into a side street so he could go back to the right road he past on the way down… nearly ended up being late for work mind :smiley:

Yeah I would. I’ve been on the other side of that situation in various countries around Europe and people, not necessarily truck drivers, have stopped to help and on occasions lead me to where I needed to be.

Swmbo and I came across an irate spanish trucker the other day looking lost so using best holiday lingo we had him follow us in our car to his destination :sunglasses:

Reap as you sow and all that :wink:

Coffeeholic:
Yeah I would. I’ve been on the other side of that situation in various countries around Europe and people, not necessarily truck drivers, have stopped to help and on occasions lead me to where I needed to be.

That is what I do, we have several foreign trucks who deliver to the garden centre and a local plastic warehouse, it is just inside a weight limit and there is a low bridge sign on the junction. If you pull up and ask for a CMR, their eyes light up and they realise you know what you are doing, they then begin to trust you and I will often lead them down the narrow lane.

Wheel Nut:

Coffeeholic:

That is what I do, we have several foreign trucks who deliver to the garden centre and a local plastic warehouse, it is just inside a weight limit and there is a low bridge sign on the junction. If you pull up and ask for a CMR, their eyes light up and they realise you know what you are doing, they then begin to trust you and I will often lead them down the narrow lane.

Very true, they hear you utter those three little letters and you are their new best friend. :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Always help if I can, mind you for now tis usually me needing help :blush: :unamused:

ady1:
i did once,i think he was turkish,but long time ago so not 100% sure,he pulled up in middle of road with hazards on,runs back and wants directions to langar ind est[firm],i tried to explain but struggling so in the end i got through to him to follow me as on way home,pulls up on bingham bypas and points out road to take,with that he grabs me[middle of night on bingham bypass] :frowning: :open_mouth: :frowning: and starts to hug me,]i tried to push him away to explain the english way is a shake of the hand but he hung on :frowning: [what anyone would of thought of two burly truckers hugging each other in middle of nightn on bypass i dont know,but that was it for me,i drive past now as quick as i can,i do help foreigners at rdc etc,but the first sign of movement im ready to run :frowning: :frowning:

So you couldn’t accept an expression of gratitude? He was clearly elated.
Put yourself in his position, totally lost, in the dark, in the middle of the night, in a strange country that doesn’t speak your language, driving a big truck that you can’t just park/turn round anywhere.
You were his saviour & he merely showed his gratitude in the best way he knew how.

I’ll always help anyone if I can and have the time.

with the job i do i can not switch off. Whilst on my way home in the car i come across an arctic on a round about just sitting there. I parked the motor up and walked over ad asked if he was OK, but turned out he was lost. I gave him the directions that he needed and he was on his way.

ady1:

Now come on fella, this sort of stuff happens all the time with some lorry drivers. I come across one trucker who looked like he was wearing his mother’s dress with fake ■■■■■ :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Driveroneuk:

ady1:

So you couldn’t accept an expression of gratitude? He was clearly elated.
Put yourself in his position, totally lost, in the dark, in the middle of the night, in a strange country that doesn’t speak your language, driving a big truck that you can’t just park/turn round anywhere.
You were his saviour & he merely showed his gratitude in the best way he knew how.

I’ll always help anyone if I can and have the time.

maybe he felt weird by it but at the end of the day he helped the driver out

I’ve done it a few times. Like Neil says, you never know when you could be in that position yourself.

Most notable occasion was when I was coming home from work in my car along the Crossgates Ring Road in Leeds. There was a Pole artic parked up in the bus lane before Colton rbt with the driver stood half in the car line frantically waving his CMR at everyone going past. :stuck_out_tongue:

I didn’t know where the place was that he wanted so looked it up in my street map and found it to be a residential street in the arse end of Chapeltown, next door the red light district :open_mouth: . Checked his address again and first half of postcode and it matched so gesticulated for him to follow me. Trouble was I’d made a right mess of trying to get to the place myself. Remembering that you can’t get off at Claypit Lane going westbound I’d decided to come off at Marsh Lane then do a 180 round the loop and up Burmantofts St towards Jimmy’s with the intention of cutting left through Lincoln Green and come out at Sheepscar interchange. :slight_smile: In hindsight I should have taken him off at the Kremlin (DSS building), done a 180 at the bottom of Eastgate and then up Regent St :blush: but it was too late. Anyway, my Leeds excursion went even more pear-shaped when I realised he’d have no chance of turning left down Lincoln Green Rd at the lights as it’s a nasty turn there even for a car, so off up past Jimmy’s we go and nearly up to the Fforde Green before coming back down Barrack Rd to Sheepscar :grimacing: , but then it dawned on me that you can’t turn right at Sheepscar Interchange from Barrack Rd - the only options you have are into the town centre down Regent St or into the town centre/back on the inner ring road up Claypit Lane. :blush: :blush: :angry: . So up Claypit Lane we go, back over the inner ring road, then had him do a 180 just before the Merrion Centre and back down Claypit Lane the other way so we could go straight across at Sheepscar. Honestly, what that guy was thinking after all this probably can’t be written on here :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: . He must have thought I was completely taking the ■■■■ :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: .

Got him to the street he wanted and as I looked at him he was wiping his brow :laughing: . Turned out he was delivering a pub on Savile Mount, right in the middle of the houses. He was over the moon and gave me a couple of Polish beers to say thanks. :stuck_out_tongue:

ady1:

Did he give you the thumbs up? :stuck_out_tongue: