Stolen trailer

Stolen within the last 2hrs from South Wales it’s being pulled by a daf 75/85 possible ex Royal Mail last seen in Cardiff area . If you see a trailer like this but with white back doors please let me know. We ONLY have Volvos on the fleet, so if you see a trailer of ours being pulled by anything else, can you give me (or the police) a shout please?
Many thank

What was on it?

Not sure, NS. Haven’t been in work - just heard about it earlier…

The Sarge:
Not sure, NS. Haven’t been in work - just heard about it earlier…

So you didn’t drop it for the night and park unit on the pub car park, then try and track it down before the guvnor found out then ? :laughing:

Nah, it got nicked from Barry. I’m in the clear :sunglasses:

Seen it on Facebook earlier,hope you get it back and catch the ■■■■■■■ who stole it.

The Sarge:
Stolen within the last 2hrs from South Wales it’s being pulled by a daf 75/85 possible ex Royal Mail last seen in Cardiff area . If you see a trailer like this but with white back doors please let me know. We ONLY have Volvos on the fleet, so if you see a trailer of ours being pulled by anything else, can you give me (or the police) a shout please?
Many thank

I thought most stuff had trackers on now days, we leave trailers all over the shop and I’ve never heard of any going walkies.

unless you use proper Trakker technology ie about £4k a year there a pice of ■■■■ to disable/find throw away, not many use Trakker as there not cost effective unless your pulling major high value and even then there ways around them

Hope you find it , and the culprits are apprehended , just wondering as I’m a newbie is there any device you get to ’ block off ’ the pin like you get for caravans , just wondering

yes there is but its rarely used these days, again people found ways around them and they werent cost effective

Plugster:
yes there is but its rarely used these days, again people found ways around them and they werent cost effective

Cheers thought there might be , must be a nightmare for any driver to find his trailer has been stolen ,and of course unit to .

I keep a king pin lock in the sidelocker and always put it on if I leave the trailer in a lay by to bobtail for a takeaway, fuel etc.

Firms tend to use them after they’ve lost a trailer until they get sick of fifth wheel repair bills and lost key issues. The ones that have a plate that prevents access to the bolts holding the pin to the trailer can be hard to defeat where I’ve had to try and get them off.

The fact is that almost all metal lock type security devices can be defeated in seconds with a cordless angle grinder these days.

Have seen an ex Royal mail Cf unit on more than one occasion.
Polish plates but always pulling a Sealane trailer.
Sorry not much help.

Own Account Driver:
I keep a king pin lock in the sidelocker and always put it on if I leave the trailer in a lay by to bobtail for a takeaway, fuel etc.

Firms tend to use them after they’ve lost a trailer until they get sick of fifth wheel repair bills and lost key issues. The ones that have a plate that prevents access to the bolts holding the pin to the trailer can be hard to defeat where I’ve had to try and get them off.

The fact is that almost all metal lock type security devices can be defeated in seconds with a cordless angle grinder these days.

I’m assuming that the repair bill for the 5th wheel would be when the lock key is lost , then there’s damage trying to get the lock off the 5th wheel , causing downtime ect

thomasb9295:

Own Account Driver:

I’m assuming that the repair bill for the 5th wheel would be when the lock key is lost , then there’s damage trying to get the lock off the 5th wheel , causing downtime ect

It’s two separate issues. Keys being lost and the lock having to be removed somehow without them. The other issue comes from drivers either not knowing or forgetting there’s a big lump of metal locked to the kingpin and reversing under the trailer at warp speed. It wouldn’t be a problem if all drivers coupled sensibly but many don’t. Unfortunately it’s not uncommon for them to have three or more ever more forceful attempts before deciding to get out and have a look.

I can only assume they’re that same breed that when you’re using a toilet cubicle in an MSA when they try the door and it won’t open their first assumption isn’t that it must be occupied but that the door is more likely stuck and requires several more forceful attempts.

Own Account Driver:

thomasb9295:

Own Account Driver:

It’s two separate issues. Keys being lost and the lock having to be removed somehow without them. The other issue comes from drivers either not knowing or forgetting there’s a big lump of metal locked to the kingpin and reversing under the trailer at warp speed. It wouldn’t be a problem if all drivers coupled sensibly but many don’t. Unfortunately it’s not uncommon for them to have three or more ever more forceful attempts before deciding to get out and have a look.

I can only assume they’re that same breed that when you’re using a toilet cubicle in an MSA when they try the door and it won’t open their first assumption isn’t that it must be occupied but that the door is more likely stuck and requires several more forceful attempts.

Crikey I can see where there would be a lot of damage , can understand where firms would rather stop using them , more hassle and hope trailer doesn’t get stolen and take the chance .

Own Account Driver:

thomasb9295:

Own Account Driver:

Aye.

Own Account Driver:
The other issue comes from drivers either not knowing or forgetting there’s a big lump of metal locked to the kingpin and reversing under the trailer at warp speed. It wouldn’t be a problem if all drivers coupled sensibly but many don’t.

Makes you wonder - if said drivers don’t check the pin, what other parts of the trailer check are they not bothering with?! Trailer brake? Tyres? lights? MOT? This is the sort of thing that should be in a sensible version of periodic training.

Is there a trailer number to be looking for

on the back doors DAF?