Stobarts recruiting

Mo, learn to write and leave the knockers alone - there’s a good lad…

MO(Topgun):
Yet another thread on here about us at Stobarts,and whats this below average wage we supposed to be on…ive worked at Stobarts for 16yrs and still enjoy it and arrive for work on monday morning quite happy and looking foward to a weeks work…yep i do my 70hrs nearly every week,havent dropped more than 10hrs since christmas through are so-called quite period that never happened and after doing 70 laid back hours and 5 nights out still take home £600 plus every week or as we are paid fortnightley…£1220 take home over two weeks…for the work i do,im more than happy with that and i get to park mostly at our own depots with decent showers and cheap restaraunts…nobody forces me to do it,Stobarts are just another haulage company like many others but with the differance of being…they are on the ball and not many drivers or others that work there are allowed to do what they like,they keep a keen eye on all parts of the buisness,if ya dont want to work there nobody is forcing ya to,the proof came when they made a few redundant just after xmas,a few of them drivers had slagged Stobarts off week after week but when they found out they were for the chop they were soon bleating about losing there jobs,has ive said before you people have a problem with Stobarts,get over it and move on and better ya own lives in stead of worrying about us at Stobarts,we can look after ourselves

still think your trolling :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Mo, you might have worked for Stobarts for 16 years, good on you for that, not many people actually stick the same driving job more than 2 years, cause the grass is always greener and all that. But and its a big but, working at a large multi-national firm you are one thing and one thing only, not a driver, just a number on a payroll ledger. Dont take it so bleedin personally that people dont like your mob, it`s not illegal to have an opinion ffs.
Personally I give a flying f*** about stobbies or what they pay, not until I need too.

70 hours a week. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: bloody nora, are they still running round in mickey mouse fodens too, roping and sheeting, backscotching reels of bloody paper and handballing 20 tons of fertiliser or salt off the side, changing wheels at the roadside and servicing their own motors on Sundays…its not 1962.

No bugger should have to do 70 hours a week thats not a job its bloody slavery, if you do it should gross well over a grand, plus nights out if needed on top.

The bloody POA scam should be stopped, it results in carp like 70 hour weeks.

Derf:
Am i right in thinking if they made people redundant, they can’t readvertise the same job within 12 months?

6 months

MO(Topgun):
Yet another thread on here about us at Stobarts,and whats this below average wage we supposed to be on…ive worked at Stobarts for 16yrs and still enjoy it and arrive for work on monday morning quite happy and looking foward to a weeks work…yep i do my 70hrs nearly every week,havent dropped more than 10hrs since christmas through are so-called quite period that never happened and after doing 70 laid back hours and 5 nights out still take home £600 plus every week or as we are paid fortnightley…£1220 take home over two weeks…for the work i do,im more than happy with that and i get to park mostly at our own depots with decent showers and cheap restaraunts…nobody forces me to do it,Stobarts are just another haulage company like many others but with the differance of being…they are on the ball and not many drivers or others that work there are allowed to do what they like,they keep a keen eye on all parts of the buisness,if ya dont want to work there nobody is forcing ya to,the proof came when they made a few redundant just after xmas,a few of them drivers had slagged Stobarts off week after week but when they found out they were for the chop they were soon bleating about losing there jobs,has ive said before you people have a problem with Stobarts,get over it and move on and better ya own lives in stead of worrying about us at Stobarts,we can look after ourselves

has your truck got a ethnic girls name on it?

MO(Topgun):

My eyes hurt after reading that. Immigrant has a better grasp of English grammar and punctuation than this!

OVLOV JAY:
I thought they withdrew the application for the new magna park depot. Loads of local opposition to it

the memo i read said its the parking that there after that the locals/councillors are objecting too,the warehouse is already built,as far as i understand the parking[not sure if its for the trucks/workers cars] would be outside of the magna park boundray,on farm land,if they intend for this depot to take over from corby/alcester which in theory should shut in month-ish then i think theyll struggle big time,its taken rovers/city years to try and get new grounds built,and neither are there yet,so if the locals stuck there heels in i guess this could take years,as i said before id off thought theyd have planning in place before they announced old depots to close,or maybe they know something we dont,time will tell.

MO(Topgun):

if you can get the hours /nights out mo then its a decent wage,but once you get those hours cut to the bare bone,40 per week,have a weeks holiday £7.75x50=387.50 :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: [top line,no f/b,no m/a] its poor,espcially if you look at what all the other drivers were getting on the [how much p.h thread],most were £10 /12/16 p.h,i yoused to defend it,said it was decent,average but thats only if your doing 70/80 hrs p.w,nights out/weekends/overtime,listen to the lads who got laid off etc,theyve all got better paying jobs,good luck to you mo if your happy,but i know alot arnt,me included these days,if things do ever pick up,i can see it being back to the days of 50 leaving in 2 months,not knocking it mo,its a job,but even i am struggling to defend it and say its well paid ,i know a fair few who have/are trying to sell there holidays as they can afford 2 weeks off at £387.50 p.w

MO(Topgun):

I put the post up simply to inform others who might be looking for work that Stobarts were advertising for drivers and at more than one site. Personally I dont have any real opinion of either Stobarts or their drivers. and if it came to me having to work for them and pay my bills or not work and lose what I have then I sure as hell would be knocking at their door for a job.
A lot of the problems we have these days is not just the Stobarts/DHLs or Nobbies of the transport industry ITS US THE DRIVERS. If we could and would stick together and fight for what we deserve instead of stabbing each other in the back then the Stobarts/DHLs and Nobbies of this world would not get away with what they do. They know that we wont and thats why they treat us like idiots, have monkeys pay peanuts. When and only when we as drivers stick together will we get what we rightly deserve until then the big companies will continue to treat us as they do.

£8.70 an hour…straight through for 70 hours, {zb} that

Im making more for 52 hours a week and i get home every night and my jobs nothing special

MO(Topgun):

You won’t be taking that home once you get your big tax bill in over the next few weeks… Fortnightly pay is a sign of mickey mouse accounting aka “Umbrella & Pseudo Self-Employed”. :confused: Never mind about the £1220 takehome, let’s hear about how much that is gross? For 70 hours I’d be expecting £2000 with which to pay the umbrella fees, and including their extra hourly rate when paid gross. An amount like £1400 gross less so many made-up expenses that you get to take home as much as £1220 is just asking for that big tax bill when HMRC disallow 75%+ of all mileage claims (commuting is not claimable. contrary to popular belief) and meal allowances (no receipts from McD’s submitted right?) and you don’t get that much for your £27 a shift or whatever it is the brolly charge around there.

Besides, making a habit of 70 hour weeks is illegal I believe, as is advertising someone’s redundant job within 6 months of laying the previous staff off.

With Drivers - it’s the getting the DCPC thing done before the deadline. Do you or don’t you?
WIth Agencies, it’s the “can we get away with cutting corners and fooling around, without being bounced out of bed by another agency who get more business despite playing it straight”.
Wrong attidude on both accounts I reckon!
There will come a time when playing it straight is required to stay in business, rather than cutting corners to keep ahead of the so-called “competition”. Agencies don’t compete that much, or you’d see some of them advertising higher rates for high-experienced zero points drivers right? :wink:

i dont get it :confused: why will mo get a big tax bill :question: .....hes employed by stobbies,not an o/d

Mo,I’ll tell you the other side of Stobarts.
You know which depot I work out of and that I was taken off tramping so straight away that was £100 a week taken off me,i know you shouldnt include n/o in your wages but you do plus hours I’m down but I’ll say £100 a week as a starter,that’s £400 a month down.
I’ve applied for 4 tramping jobs and 2 depot transfers to no avail as the drivers who have been taken off tramping at our depot,by the looks of it are not being allowed to transfer.
The trucks we have to drive are on the whole disgusting inside and out as no one can be bothered to wash or clean the outside of them and who can blame them when you never see the same truck twice in a week,in fact the 10plate Scania I’m driving now stinks of what can only be described as shi.!,and yes I do mean shi.,I’ll of course report it when I get back and of course nothing will be done about it because the office staff are too busy in their own little world to sort anything out and they can’t be bothered with drivers.
Report it to a manager I hear you say?,waste of time as he couldn’t give 2 hoots!
Yet again I hear the rumour that someone on high is peed off with the state of the fleet again,damage and dirty trucks,well I’d love to see him and show what I have to put up with day in and day out,you know yourself Mo how fussy I was with my truck when I was tramping,the fleets a disgrace( at our depot anyway) and they’ve only got theirselves to blame with the way they treat conscientious drivers.
I know I’m going to end up leaving again,don’t want too but I and a few more drivers at our depot will and I think that’s what Esl want.

ady1:

MO(Topgun):

if you can get the hours /nights out mo then its a decent wage,but once you get those hours cut to the bare bone,40 per week,have a weeks holiday £7.75x50=387.50 :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: [top line,no f/b,no m/a] its poor,espcially if you look at what all the other drivers were getting on the [how much p.h thread],most were £10 /12/16 p.h,i yoused to defend it,said it was decent,average but thats only if your doing 70/80 hrs p.w,nights out/weekends/overtime,listen to the lads who got laid off etc,theyve all got better paying jobs,good luck to you mo if your happy,but i know alot arnt,me included these days,if things do ever pick up,i can see it being back to the days of 50 leaving in 2 months,not knocking it mo,its a job,but even i am struggling to defend it and say its well paid ,i know a fair few who have/are trying to sell there holidays as they can afford 2 weeks off at £387.50 p.w

Don’t see why you’d struggle on £387.50 per week when off work, no fuel in car to go to work etc, it’s certainly not a bad basic wage. Although, I do wonder how you did 40 per week, then say £7.75 x 50 :question: £7.75 x 40 = 310, you might struggle a bit with that, but if you do, it’s only because of bad financial planning.

I always work out if I can afford to live on the basic wage I’m offered before I take a job, anything after that is a bonus, so if a job guarentees 55hrs = £410 per week, I decide, can I live on £410 per week, not just for a week or 2, but regular and including commuting everyday, if I can’t then I don’t take the job, but I usually can.

To be honest, I could live on 300 per week including commuting everyday, not sure I’d go for a job that pays that though when there’s a Tesco 2 rows of houses from my house that probably pays that to run the sweeper around.

That’s what I said when I came to maritime Wayne. I gave up a £500 a week take home job at Coltons. Although I take more than that most weeks, I can get by when we have bad weeks. When the drivers moan at the window about not earning enough, I tell them to find a job where they can live on flat money. If that’s a salary job stripping tilts or roping and sheeting, crack on :smiley:

waynedl:

ady1:

MO(Topgun):

Don’t see why you’d struggle on £387.50 per week when off work, no fuel in car to go to work etc, it’s certainly not a bad basic wage. Although, I do wonder how you did 40 per week, then say £7.75 x 50 :question: £7.75 x 40 = 310, you might struggle a bit with that, but if you do, it’s only because of bad financial planning.

I always work out if I can afford to live on the basic wage I’m offered before I take a job, anything after that is a bonus, so if a job guarentees 55hrs = £410 per week, I decide, can I live on £410 per week, not just for a week or 2, but regular and including commuting everyday, if I can’t then I don’t take the job, but I usually can.

To be honest, I could live on 300 per week including commuting everyday, not sure I’d go for a job that pays that though when there’s a Tesco 2 rows of houses from my house that probably pays that to run the sweeper around.

most folks when there on holiday like to either go away for a week[fuel to get there] or for days our[fuel again],thats what normal family life is about,holiday time is normally for going places with the kids,mrs,we dont all sit at home on our holidays watching jeremy kyle :unamused: :unamused: .
if you do 40 hrs they garuantee you 50 hrs[or 45 if youre at work,or 50 hrs when on holiday].
as for bad financial,all most have budgeted for is to try and buy a house,have a couple of kids,and go away for a week in a caravan,days out,just have a normal family life,i fell to see how youd do this on 387 b/t ,even the goverment dont think you can,thats why most of the young lads with families get family credits,family allowances etc,etc.
as for you pick and choose whether too take a job,your obviously lucky to live in a area where you have that option,if it doesnt pay 9/10 p.h ill not take it as it wont pay my bills,we dont all have that option,some of us live in areas where 7/8 p.h is the norm,if we decided not to take it,what then,dole,move away,i live in a low wage area,so house prices are low,i doubt i could afford a bedsit in some areas with the money id get for mine
i dont care whether you can live on £300 per week or not,thats not the point,the point is its a poor wage this day and age which ever way you dress it up,im lucky like you,no mortage,g/f has good job,daughter grown up working,left money in will,so im alright,but i still feel for those young lads who are starting out,just want a house for them,mrs,kids,1 holiday a year or days out,not too much to ask for is it really

Winseer:
Besides, making a habit of 70 hour weeks is illegal I believe

Take away poa and breaks and legally you can only work a maximum on 60 hours a week. Plus you have to get under 48 hours on average over a set number of weeks. Old topgun must live on poa!!! His printouts against his timesheets would be interesting to see :grimacing:

MO(Topgun):
and i get to park mostly at our own depots with decent showers and cheap restaraunts

Yeah right. Like Crick with a crappy, greasy burger van in the yard or Stoke with a few vending machines? Lovely ‘restaurants’ they have. The only decent showers I saw were Appleton (where I was based and never used) and Tesco Barlborough which is operated by Tesco. Stoke showers were disgusting, I would’ve got out dirtier than I got in, and Crick were useable but lame.
I was rarely parked up at their depots, usually ending up in a 5* lay by because the planners don’t care about getting you near a depot.
I personally detested the place, it was a combination of things. Lied to about the job in the interview, apathy of the planners when things went wrong and the BS from the company.
However, the main thing was I hated Tramping, so my view of Stobarts is skewed because of it. I would’ve hated any company that I Tramped for.
They have good and bad points, same as any big company. The office staff spoke to me much better than my old boss and the general public were more likely to flash you in or wait more patiently while you manoeuvred. The same couldn’t be said for my fellow truckers! :laughing:
The trucks are decent and as they were Trampers trucks, they were looked after.
That said, I wouldn’t want to go back there. Picked up some valuable experience and got about a bit but I love my job at the moment. All easy day work, four days per week, home every night and a higher hourly rate.
I think lots of drivers don’t like Stobarts because they (Stobarts), and the general public think they do no wrong and are the best haulage company ever bar none. We who know this is wrong can find it slightly irritating!

yes,i agree,the food was crap,apart from barlborough