Stobarts pay rise?

Hello all, I went for a driving assessment/interview at Stobarts yesterday and to be honest they don’t seem too bad and I’ve been offered the job.

When chatting to the transport manager he mentioned to me that Stobarts are in the middle of pushing through what will be ‘the biggest drivers pay rise in the history of the company’. Apparently the drivers reps are working on it and it’s in it’s final stages, it will be voted on shortly and it will definitely pass the vote and be brought in. I don’t have any particular reason not to believe him but I’d like to know if anybody here has heard anything about it? Or do you think it could be a case of trying to make the job sound more attractive?

Thanks

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Point made? :grimacing:

Heard nothing myself, no reason to disbelieve anyone though and good luck.

Any major player that gives a large payrise may have a knock on effect in the industry so all’s good.

Unless he is a liar then I hope his pants set on fire.

last time the reps worked on a pay rise I think it was 1. something % :unamused: , they ( my rep) said they’d asked for £10 ph but the bloke taking the meeting nearly fell out his chair and said paying £10 ph would bankrupt the company and with the loss of some contracts at the time there was a chance of redundancies but they’d managed to stave them off and even managed to offer 1. something % , rep said it was a good deal , I just screwed up the ballot paper much to his dismay and binned it .
I’ve no idea this time other than some drivers going on about meal allowance going , so maybe they’ll Bung £1.50 ( if you average it over 10 ) on your hourly rate and call it a ground breaking deal , reps will lap it up , most of the drivers will continue uninterested
to be honest I never hear wages mentioned , just the ■■■■ planning

I assume that they are getting rid of the meal allowance and adding to hourly rate?

So a rise that isn’t a rise in effect. An if it isn’t more than the loss of allowance a cut as it will be taxed on wages

it was 1.5% pay rise last year

Sounds as if the ‘biggest pay rise in the companies history’ isn’t going to be anything to write home about (if it happens) but I still wouldn’t say no to it.

But if they’re going to be giving a larger hourly increase and using it to justify taking away the meal allowance, then like Kcrussell mentioned drivers could be worse off in real terms.

Ah well, thanks for the info chaps. I guess we’ll see what happens.

Redrum:
Sounds as if the ‘biggest pay rise in the companies history’ isn’t going to be anything to write home about (if it happens) but I still wouldn’t say no to it.

But if they’re going to be giving a larger hourly increase and using it to justify taking away the meal allowance, then like Kcrussell mentioned drivers could be worse off in real terms.

Ah well, thanks for the info chaps. I guess we’ll see what happens.

I didn’t see dozys post but £15 meal is only worth £11ish in wages. Thats about £20 a week or £1,000 per year lost in tax. That’s quick maths so might be a bit out. I think they need to do something as these allowances are going to be questioned.

Take it with a pinch of salt…if the biggest ever pay rise before this biggest ever one was say 1.5% then this all new biggest every payrise could be 1.6% and qualify for the title of the biggest ever payrise,doesn’t mean it’s a big pay rise in actual real life :laughing:

I think most job not profitable so much.I tramper now.In last two month i by one truck done 24000 km or 15000 milles.May be my truck earn about 20000 quid.But my agency earning was about 7000 quid,i was used about 7 tonne of diesel .it is another some 7 grant.For truck and trailer must pay lease about 4000.So my wages 7000 plus diesel 7000 plus lease 4000.Ready 17000 grant gone.but as well planners,operation,tax ,yard keepeng.May by truck earn just some 500 qiud per month or less.If truck used by day drivers that can earn better.

xichrisxi:
Take it with a pinch of salt…if the biggest ever pay rise before this biggest ever one was say 1.5% then this all new biggest every payrise could be 1.6% and qualify for the title of the biggest ever payrise,doesn’t mean it’s a big pay rise in actual real life :laughing:

Ooh you’re sooooo cynical! But almost certainly on the money! :slight_smile:

It’s transport so don’t believe anything until…

A you’re driving it.

B it’s in the bank.

C it’s gone up in flames.

kcrussell25:
I assume that they are getting rid of the meal allowance and adding to hourly rate?

So a rise that isn’t a rise in effect. An if it isn’t more than the loss of allowance a cut as it will be taxed on wages

If they did that it would actually be a good thing because the holiday pay would improve a lot. Meal allowances and expenses aren’t worked into the average pay for holidays - this is one of the ways that Stobtwats screw the drivers.

DaveyCrocket:

kcrussell25:

If they did that it would actually be a good thing because the holiday pay would improve a lot. Meal allowances and expenses aren’t worked into the average pay for holidays - this is one of the ways that Stobtwats screw the drivers.

I believe that is the purpose. As well is reducing employers ni contributions. I am happy to be corrected but I think it was posted on here before that Stobarts did include it in the holiday pay.

Also gaining 5.6x£75 (less tax) is worse off than than the roughly £1k extra tax they will pay

They definitely don’t include the meal allowances in the calculations for holiday pay - just the average hourly rate for the previous twelve weeks worked. The meal allowance isn’t taxable earnings so it isn’t included. Even that average is only for twenty days holiday, the rest being based on a 38 hr week.
I know this because I recently got offered a job with them which I declined when I found out the true earnings.
The way they say ‘equivalent’ hourly rate is a ■■■■ take … if you look at it that way it means the more hours you’d the lower your rate is.

DaveyCrocket:
They definitely don’t include the meal allowances in the calculations for holiday pay - just the average hourly rate for the previous twelve weeks worked. The meal allowance isn’t taxable earnings so it isn’t included. Even that average is only for twenty days holiday, the rest being based on a 38 hr week.
I know this because I recently got offered a job with them which I declined when I found out the true earnings.
The way they say ‘equivalent’ hourly rate is a ■■■■ take … if you look at it that way it means the more hours you’d the lower your rate is.

But
but
but
. they have a MIB department !!!
Who knew - I thought it was all green - turns out you must have an option for black suits and sunglasses and one of those flashy pens lol

DaveyCrocket:

85p an hour more than the nat min wage [emoji1]
I really am clueless as to how stobrats get people to work for them surely they can’t all just be happy with a green uniform instead of decent pay?!

By the time you have worked it all out you’ll be earning about the same as you do anywhere on general haulage…about a tenner an hour give or take a few silvers.

Nothing to see!

xichrisxi:
85p an hour more than the nat min wage [emoji1]
I really am clueless as to how stobrats get people to work for them surely they can’t all just be happy with a green uniform instead of decent pay?!

I applied there because I only recently passed class one and there’s not too many firms will take newbies. I was gonna use them for a bit of experience but then I got lucky and another firm gave me a chance and I’m lovin it. They pay more and are happy to help me out with reversing practice and we keep our own trucks which is a nice thing when you spend so much time at work and you can keep it clean and leave your kit in there … happy days.

Sounds like a good gig Davey, hope it continues on for a long time for you.

Just to wind sammym up, because he loves to hear my rates of pay, Sunday 24.50, bank holiday same plus day in lieu.