Stobarts O/D Franchise

As the title says, they are advertising for Owner Driver franchises, anyone shed any light of this, worth it or a total rip off (Like Maritime)
Any one on this scheme or know of anyone doing it??

TIA.

“Employee wanted, must have own truck” :wink:

There are many many threads on this very subject, search for Ady1, Franchise or Stobart Owner Driver.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=74139&hilit=ady1+stobart+franchise

Like dying and going to meet your maker, no one has ever come back and told us if it is hell or heaven, but in the event of no evidence I would probably err on the edge of caution & listen to the advice of this forum, not mine, anyone else’s who made a comment.

“Word on the street” is that after two years of this offer, and despite heavy advertising in national newspapers, not one single person has taken up this deal.

Of course, you are welcome to be the guinea pig! :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks all, pretty much tallies up with my research, unless you find a niche to get into then these things are a waste of ££££, same as Maritime it all looks good on paper, meet them face to face ask the right questions, and the flaws soon appear :unamused:

Go and see them, sign the non-disclosure agreement, listen to what they say, take away the numbers they give you and make your own mind up.
From what I have heard, not a con or rip-off, but then you won’t be getting rich either.

I would agree with Harry Monks first post, although not necessarily with his second.

Well in my opinion for what it is worth, If you are working for a haualge company and earning a wage that is there every week , Stay where you are , Working as an owner driver is a lot harder in my book, Ive been there & learnt the hard way, But I must admit I did very well the years I was at It but of course I only worked for companies that were honest, & looked after us, But to-day its a total different storey isnt it, So be-ware of what I have said & you will most likley prosper better at what you are currentley doing , Regards Larry.

I think there’s a few owner drivers in Goole. And definitely a few run from crick.

Ah ok, I stand corrected.

without going to see them and finding out what they have too offer i think it would be unfair to judge them. Surely pulling for one the big trailer companies or even the likes of gregorys is just the same thing in a different colour scheme. You gotta do what they give you or you wont work. Yeah. Its your truck and you can pull off at any time, but where do you go, its quiet everywhere at the minute. The fridge job was dead early part of last week and channel hopping is a washout at the minute. .

I’m sure I remember a few years back several small hauliers including the one I worked for and O/D’s were almost permanently on Eddie Stobart work and quite a few had their trucks painted in Stobart livery.

How is this different?

JB:
I think there’s a few owner drivers in Goole. And definitely a few run from crick.

There’s a difference between O/D subbys and franchise scheme folk though. I’m sure I remember people talking about people subbing for them (full time, with a unit in Stobart colours) long before this franchise scheme came about.

Paul

LRM:
. Surely pulling for one the big trailer companies or even the likes of gregorys is just the same thing in a different colour scheme.

The difference is that a Stobart franchaisee is not at liberty to do his own work as and when it turns up. He is also bound tightly by a contract obliging him to find a relief driver when he goes on holiday, to buy his fuel and maintenance from Stobart etc.

but without knowing the figures should we be so quick to dismiss the idea. I would imagine stobarts ppl this week is a lot lower than mine and say they passed the savings on to there subbies (with maybe 2ppl for themselves) it might still be cheaper than what i have to pay. My point is without seeing the offer we dont really know whats on offer. And as for the freedom to work anywhere else, do subbies realy have that option. If you start messing firms about when you get offered a nice days work elsewhere and then expect to get back on the next next day it wont be long till you get shoved to the bottom of the list when its quiet, all these firms expect loyalty.
It would be niave to think you can come and go as you please.

LRM:
but without knowing the figures should we be so quick to dismiss the idea. I would imagine stobarts ppl this week is a lot lower than mine and say they passed the savings on to there subbies (with maybe 2ppl for themselves) it might still be cheaper than what i have to pay. My point is without seeing the offer we dont really know whats on offer. And as for the freedom to work anywhere else, do subbies realy have that option. If you start messing firms about when you get offered a nice days work elsewhere and then expect to get back on the next next day it wont be long till you get shoved to the bottom of the list when its quiet, all these firms expect loyalty.
It would be niave to think you can come and go as you please.

When you bought your lorry, did you have a choice in what you drove, or did the bank say you can only have a green Scania with an autobox and no air con.

I agree you need to read the small print but from the initial paperwork, it didn’t look very inviting.

Maybe they have changed the criteria, but the first scheme did not impress me or many others by the sound of it.

i can only assume other people know more about it than me.
I have know ldea what the deal is and that advert you have posted doesnt give a lot away.
We need to know the basic costs surely before dismissing the idea.
How much is the truck pw, the insurance, maintainence, parking, trl hire etc. With stobarts buying power even if they have a bit of commision it may work out better value than what an owner driver can get it for. What does it matter what kind and colour the bloody wagon is as long as your making money. As for the 12k start up cost, thats a pittance compared to what it costs to run a truck for 60 days till you get paid, it would barely cover the diesel bill let alone wages, deposit, insurance, etc. As for getting in drivers to cover your time of, surely that goes without saying, keep the bugger moving.
My point is unless we know the costs we dont know what it would be like. Sure, stobart aint doing it for anyones benefit but theyre own but i would imagine that they are savvy enough to know that for it to work
they need to make it worthwhile for the people that take up there offer.

You have to ask yourself why, if there is good money to be made at it, Stobart don’t just get another truck, park it in their yard with the rest of them, and put an employee on it. :wink:

what you would possibly get from it is, a good relationship with your bank.
as far as they are concerned you are: joe bloggs haulage ltd with one truck. you’ve started turning money over on day one, you’ve made a profit, it may be small compared to those that get their own work, but it’s a regular profit.
once the bank has seen 6 to 12 months of you being in the black, then they will come to you offering future finance.
with the chance of getting a decent amount of finance, then you can set up as a proper haulier.

limeyphil:
as far as they are concerned you are: joe bloggs haulage ltd with one truck. you’ve started turning money over on day one, you’ve made a profit, it may be small compared to those that get their own work, but it’s a regular profit.
once the bank has seen 6 to 12 months of you being in the black, then they will come to you offering future finance.
with the chance of getting a decent amount of finance, then you can set up as a proper haulier.

Yes, it’s quite bizarre but all of a sudden everybody is offering me credit. I can only assume that it’s because I set my company up in November 2011 and so I have, theoretically at least, been trading for a year.

I was going to ask you something by PM, but I presume that you wouldn’t be able to answer because of pre-mod?

Harry Monk:

limeyphil:

Yes, it’s quite bizarre but all of a sudden everybody is offering me credit. I can only assume that it’s because I set my company up in November 2011 and so I have, theoretically at least, been trading for a year.

I was going to ask you something by PM, but I presume that you wouldn’t be able to answer because of pre-mod?

phil@pgreen8.orangehome.co.uk