Stobarts and Waitrose

Seen Stobart units pulling Waitrose trailers and quite a few parked up at one of the Waitrose RDCs today. Has Eddie got his fat greedy fingers in another pie ■■?

As they seem to be giving lots of work ( steel,best paying job) to his supposed sons firm ( blue trucks ,ws on them) I guess there having too try and find work for existing esl trucks.
That said was told won’t be long until were all wearing blue and driving blue trucks,no more elf jibes though,all good :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Tesco is going down the pan, Stobart are a business at the end of the day, I say good on them…

As employee shareholders I can’t imagine the in house drivers are too chuffed with this.

tescos down the pan ha ha right

Stobart have put 10 x 14 Plate Scania units and 20 drivers in Waitrose on a 4 week trial

Plenty of “tricky blindside reverses” to do there…

trubster:
Stobart have put 10 x 14 Plate Scania units and 20 drivers in Waitrose on a 4 week trial

I had heard that they had been contracted in for 6 months. Not sure if its trunking only, or store delivery as well?
Saw some myself on Sunday in Bracknell, so not sure if they are only there or in Aylesford too (who are apparently struggling to get/keep drivers?!)

Works not hard, so I wonder what the problem is in Kent getting and keeping decent drivers?
Maybe its the thought of driving a day cab auto DAF 75.310 and Wrotham Hill that’s the problem■■?

Does seem quite worrying tho, that at the first sign of a driver shortage problem the green army is called in - I am sure there are other more local firms to Bracknell/Aylsford RDC who would have been willing and able to help out (and at a reasonable rate too).

Could it be to do with drivers having holidays and them having a bit of a shortage, as our subbie, QTR, also pull for Waitrose out of Bracknell

Pimpdaddy:
Tesco is going down the pan,

Yep, minutes away from calling the receivers. :unamused:

redmayne.co.uk/research/secu … m?tkr=TSCO

So, are Stobart employing drivers local to Bracknell ?. Would of thought they would need to pay a bit more than there usual rates to find drivers around there. What depot are running those trucks then ?.

I was reading somewhere yesterday, that Saints Transport @ Colnbrook have been asked my one of the “big four” supermarkets to supply ad-hoc traction, I would`nt class Waitrose as one of those would you ?, and, N.R.Evans have landed a large contract with Tesco to supply “haulage” according to our local paper, which will require an additional 50 drivers…

Christ knows where these drivers will come from, as they are struggling to find enough as it is apparently :wink:

I would like to think that the so called driver shortage is being recognised, and the supermarkets are getting ahead of the game, by bringing in “support”, with all the sweet talk about future “contracts”.

This “support” will enable the job to carry on without too much hassle to the retailers, the headaches and grief connected with the sourcing of “drivers” will be be the hauliers problem, job done :open_mouth:

According to one of my customers, they think that there is a cruise ship due to dock @ Soton anytime soon, which is full of clued up, experienced and English speaking C+E 1 drivers, they are that confident its quite frightening :blush:

Mind you, I have been offered £13ph “LTD” to work out of Magna Park today, so somebody is struggling down there :unamused:

Very easy for a company to “win” contracts, the trick is being able supply the vehicles and drivers to cover the work and make a profit whilst doing it!

That’s why I was asking about drivers around Bracknell. I was offered hours plus £100 bonus for shifts last weekend on supermarket work. Most of the big operators have done such a good job of holding wages down over the last few years that as people retire there are not enough new people coming in to the job to replace them. Why would you want to go to work at 3 or 4 o clock every morning for not much more than minimum wage.

Ive seen a few ws transportation units pulling tescos trailers over the last few days,i bet them lads are chuffed to have got a job doing steel work and a few week on their pulling shopping trolleys doing shop work :frowning: :frowning:

del trotter:

Ok wrong choice of words on my part, what I meant to say was that tesco sales are declining, they’re not doing as well anymore.

Stanley Mitchell:
Christ knows where these drivers will come from, as they are struggling to find enough as it is apparently :wink:

I think there are plenty of drivers around willing to work, all you have to do is pay…

Pimpdaddy:

del trotter:

Ok wrong choice of words on my part, what I meant to say was that tesco sales are declining, they’re not doing as well anymore.

Stanley Mitchell:

I think there are plenty of drivers around willing to work, all you have to do is pay…

Agreed, I know plenty who are doing the same as me, just doing a couple of days a week, just keeping our collective foot in the door, just observing where or who is/are paying the better rates, where or who is/are starting to get sweaty regarding recruitment, and, playing the game…the rates are inching up around here, so its a start :wink:

Stanley Mitchell:
I was reading somewhere yesterday, that Saints Transport @ Colnbrook have been asked my one of the “big four” supermarkets to supply ad-hoc traction, I would`nt class Waitrose as one of those would you ?, and, N.R.Evans have landed a large contract with Tesco to supply “haulage” according to our local paper, which will require an additional 50 drivers…

I would like to think that the so called driver shortage is being recognised, and the supermarkets are getting ahead of the game, by bringing in “support”, with all the sweet talk about future “contracts”.

This “support” will enable the job to carry on without too much hassle to the retailers, the headaches and grief connected with the sourcing of “drivers” will be be the hauliers problem, job done :open_mouth:

According to one of my customers, they think that there is a cruise ship due to dock @ Soton anytime soon, which is full of clued up, experienced and English speaking C+E 1 drivers, they are that confident its quite frightening :blush:

Mind you, I have been offered £13ph “LTD” to work out of Magna Park today, so somebody is struggling down there :unamused:

Yes, think they are.

Saw a Stobarts pulling a Sainsbury’s trailer north bound on the A12 yesterday morning ■■?

puntabrava:

Stanley Mitchell:

Yes, think they are.

No way, they have a long way to go just yet :wink: