Stobarts 15.65m trailers?

I don’t take credit for the image but wow :open_mouth: full article here. bit.ly/fnxxHA

If we are going to go longer, that is the trailer to do so, forget those bloody things of Denby and Stan Robinson.

In the DFT consultation; I should like to see all the unstable double deckers made into flat trailers. In fact bring in a 4.2m height limit for anything above 32 tonne gross weight.

We’re not paid enough for what we currently throw around the roads, getting more and more out of us, whilst reducing our wages, increasing our costs (dCPC, digital tacho, photo licence, fuel to and from work etc).

Only an idiot would join this industry now.

idiot-picture.jpg

This has an air of inevitability about it. I can see a few cab mirrors going for a burton!

waynedl:
We’re not paid enough for what we currently throw around the roads, getting more and more out of us, whilst reducing our wages, increasing our costs (dCPC, digital tacho, photo licence, fuel to and from work etc).

It might not be as good as it used to be but it was either this or minimum wage for the rest of my life. Take your pick.

It would be interesting to see that on some tight multiple lane roundabouts in London. At least they had the sense to say it’s best for depot to depot.

QUOTE from the link:"The current maximum permitted trailer length is 13,600mm, "

no it isn’t. :unamused:

The Saxmachine:

waynedl:

It might not be as good as it used to be but it was either this or minimum wage for the rest of my life. Take your pick.

It would be interesting to see that on some tight multiple lane roundabouts in London. At least they had the sense to say it’s best for depot to depot.

I see jobs advertised for IRO £6 per hour driving trucks, now take your costs out of it and compare it to minimum wage.

Then add in the dangers, vosa, transport managers, traffic, theives and ■■■■■■…

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not 1 of those that says it’s a bad job and I’d certainly rather do it than stack shelves, but I think we should be paid appropriately instead of keep reducing our wages, increasing our costs and giving us more and more responsibility.

There appears less overhang behind the rear axle of the Stobart liveried trailer and the Muldoon trailer than a standard 13.6 triaxle with fixed axles.

youtube.com/watch?v=Fj9B1JmDcoA

Wheel Nut:
If we are going to go longer, that is the trailer to do so, forget those bloody things of Denby and Stan Robinson.

In the DFT consultation; I should like to see all the unstable double deckers made into flat trailers. In fact bring in a 4.2m height limit for anything above 32 tonne gross weight.

Aye lad. Bring back t’orses n carts too :unamused:

Qualify “unstable double deckers” ■■? It’s all down to the loading and the driving. I jog on :sunglasses: in mine without incident. Running a 2nd vehicle at the loss of my top deck would be cost prohibitive. Oh and before you drift off into wonderful world of the euro-esque little wheels solution Malc remember the additional running costs they generally incur. Also if we are forced, by folk living in a furry clogged, routier loving, wallet on a chain eutopia, to adopt these draconian inflexible trailer limitations you will find we end up running equipment of the same dimensions and capacities of our Eastern cousins with there lower operational costs. Don’t think that’s gonna be real good for the raes now is it ■■?

That said the one thing you and I, I’m certain, agree on is why the lord we couldn’t reduce heights and vastly increase stability, lowering the center of gravity by smarter chassis construction. :wink:

Everytime this type of issue rocks up it’s the same old tosh used in defence. We have moved from 20 odd tons on 20 odd foot trailers through to 44 on 45 footers. This is really just a continuing evolution, get over it. :unamused:

On an unrelated subject I’m off to buy shares in Lamp post, road sign and truck mirror companies :grimacing: :grimacing:

Wheel Nut:
There appears less overhang behind the rear axle of the Stobart liveried trailer and the Muldoon trailer than a standard 13.6 triaxle with fixed axles.

youtube.com/watch?v=Fj9B1JmDcoA

Indeed Malc but with the rear steer axle the effect will be similar as the back will swing out more.

Anyway its only a consultation to see whether they would be viable, and until that date they will remain at the legal limit of 13.6m for general haulage. Holland already has extended trailers, and no doubt some other eu members too, but as you are aware the uk government doesnt like road haulage at all…so i cant see them allowing this extra length any time soon…same as the road charge for foreigners innit…how long is that taking to sort out…how long does it take to seek and stop the foreigners running out of our ports, with our work, and now theyve branched out into supermarket work too…i saw a romanian registered unit pulling an english companys fridge a number of times, and no one bats an eyelid, same said about the belgians, dutch, bulgarians, lithuanians, and god knows who else…cabotage…dont make me laugh.

as there is no legal trailer limit in the EU. there is only an overall combination limit.
why don’t they just pull the thing with a day cab?

Some drivers struggle to get a normal sized artic into a space at the services, it will be a good laugh watching them try and get something over 6 foot longer and in effect have 12 foot less room to manover in, as the other trucks in the trucks services could all be long ones as well.

limeyphil:
as there is no legal trailer limit in the EU. there is only an overall combination limit.
why don’t they just pull the thing with a day cab?

They already did that Phil, they cut the back out of a day cab to give it more loading deck.

We’ve had bigger than that in here driver!

It’s all gonna end in tears!

The trailer axles would steer on that surely? Would be a pain in the arse to reverse I bet.

slightly off topic,but still regarding stobart trailers,passed a wagon and drag today and it had ‘road train’ on the rear curtains,whats that about?

Alcpone:
The trailer axles would steer on that surely? Would be a pain in the arse to reverse I bet.

Why would it be a pain? The longer the trailer the easier the reverse .