Stobart owner drivers

You probally have to have the fan club duvet that the weird couple with the camper on the tv show wanted made in to a double.
Wouldn’t want to knock anyone who does it but I dont understand why anyone would go down this or the readymix style franchise system. It seems to give you all the hard work and headaches of been a owner driver none of the security of been employed on paye for just a wage at best.

Wheel Nut:

cliffton 27:
comes into work tonight whilst waiting for a unit i notice this big flyer asking if any of us are interested in becoming a stobart owner driver they will give us a brand new truck tailers work service and mots an so an so on in return we need to tramp make sure the unit is manned ( think it means when your on a rest day ) take in to workshop when needed all this for 5k initial starting cost and for an extra cost they will sort out your accounts etc 5K STARTING PRICE WERE DO I SIGN UP WHAT A DEAL :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Will you photograph and put a picture up of the flyer, if you want to protect your identity, send it to me and I will host it, it could start a whole new thread :stuck_out_tongue:

il see if there are any left in work when i get in

Wheel Nut:
I am more interested in the legal side of it. So you stump up 5k and get a new lorry you don’t own, you cannot choose who to work for, or work for anyone else, and they are doing your MOT and services, and for an extra cost will do your accounts. (I bet they will :stuck_out_tongue:)

It was already muted about the Financial Standing, currently £8100 for the first vehicle. As from 4th December 2011 it is no longer possible to just have a credit card with sufficient bounce in it at the back of a drawer. There needs to be professional audited accounts with projections available.

The vehicle will need to be running 7 days a week, have you got enough money to pay a good trusted driver for the other shifts?

I can see many tears before bedtime.

The worst part though will be the choice of colour scheme, no wet dreams of a blinged up truck with hundreds of lights, they may let you choose the colour of your sleeping bag or duvet though!

On the plus side for Eddy, think how their bills for damaged trailers will be reduced, now the drivers will be paying him for all the slashed curtains and bent bumper bars.

Is it possible the £5000 is the cash to add ‘your’ truck onto the ESL O Licence?

If ESL did this they would be able to charge their new ‘owner drivers’ rent for the Operating Centre and a management fee for those without a CPC.

I think it’s a brilliant scheme for ESL and virtual slavery for the poor sod doing the driving.

Like you said Wheel Nut, don’t even think of dinging your truck or a trailer because you know the R+M are just going to nail your hat on.

Imagine washing your truck in the depot
“wash sir? that will be £25 please”
With all these costs knocked off your invoice at the end of ninety days.

Like I said before, the gifted few might make some cash but most drivers will end up paying ESL just to do their own job.

W

Sounds as though its much the same as the quarries have been doing for years… There ain’t too many millionaires with tippers… :wink:

It will make a very few a decent living, it will be ok for some and it will be a ball and chain for the rest! Sometimes the ‘advantages’ of being your own boss colours some very important decisions…

Good luck to those that try it. Keep your eyes open at all times… :wink:

AlexWignall:

Wheel Nut:
I am more interested in the legal side of it. So you stump up 5k and get a new lorry you don’t own, you cannot choose who to work for, or work for anyone else, and they are doing your MOT and services, and for an extra cost will do your accounts. (I bet they will :stuck_out_tongue:)

It was already muted about the Financial Standing, currently £8100 for the first vehicle. As from 4th December 2011 it is no longer possible to just have a credit card with sufficient bounce in it at the back of a drawer. There needs to be professional audited accounts with projections available.

The vehicle will need to be running 7 days a week, have you got enough money to pay a good trusted driver for the other shifts?

I can see many tears before bedtime.

The worst part though will be the choice of colour scheme, no wet dreams of a blinged up truck with hundreds of lights, they may let you choose the colour of your sleeping bag or duvet though!

On the plus side for Eddy, think how their bills for damaged trailers will be reduced, now the drivers will be paying him for all the slashed curtains and bent bumper bars.

Is it possible the £5000 is the cash to add ‘your’ truck onto the ESL O Licence?

If ESL did this they would be able to charge their new ‘owner drivers’ rent for the Operating Centre and a management fee for those without a CPC.

I think it’s a brilliant scheme for ESL and virtual slavery for the poor sod doing the driving.

Like you said Wheel Nut, don’t even think of dinging your truck or a trailer because you know the R+M are just going to nail your hat on.

Imagine washing your truck in the depot
“wash sir? that will be £25 please”
all these costs knocked off your invoice at the end of ninety days.

Like I said before, the gifted few might make some cash but most drivers will end up paying ESL just to do their own job.

W

I can’t wait for the first person to come on here and say that they’re an OD for Stobbard, it’s gonna be so much fun! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Could it be like a franchise where you rent everything, so technically its all still owned by Stobarts so no need for your own O’licence? Would it be like a limited company thing that some agency drivers do? I can understand why they are doing it, passing the headache and cost’s of it being stood on to some poor sap daft enough to sign up(ady1 gone quiet, he must be on the way to the bank)! GAR :laughing: :laughing:

You would need your own O licence, the £5k is your deposit on one of their trucks, you’d still need the 8k to show financial standing.

Fileep:
Could it be like a franchise where you rent everything, so technically its all still owned by Stobarts so no need for your own O’licence? Would it be like a limited company thing that some agency drivers do? I can understand why they are doing it, passing the headache and cost’s of it being stood on to some poor sap daft enough to sign up(ady1 gone quiet, he must be on the way to the bank)! GAR :laughing: :laughing:

You cannot rent an o-licence, it is one of the Cardinal sins, to borrow, beg, steal or use your mates licence

Silver_Surfer:
You would need your own O licence, the £5k is your deposit on one of their trucks, you’d still need the 8k to show financial standing.

I think it would be like what Fileep said. The whole thing will be a franchise scheme.

All the ‘owner driver’ would have to do is become self employed. Thereby handing over his or her employment rights and financial independence all for the keys of a new truck.

I’m not naturally a cynical person and I really hope someone from ESL will come on to TNUK to tell me it’s a great deal.

We all know while there are driving hours limits there will always be a need for trampers. If the trampers at ESL are anything like the loafing dollopers at our place who will try to string anything out for that £23 and a night in the cab. I can understand why ESL would want to turn them all into owner drivers.

Like I said in my first post, I hope my boss doesn’t get wind of this idea.

W

Wheel Nut:

Fileep:

You cannot rent an o-licence, it is one of the Cardinal sins, to borrow, beg, steal or use your mates licence

I’m not saying your wrong, but…is it not like giving them £5k to have a dedicated truck and you just bill them for your work, just as an agency driver would? instead of getting paid hourly he becomes self employed and gets paid for what he actually does, ppm or whatever? Like you said about the o’licence, if you need one then you have to either pass the CPC National or get someone in to do it for you! I have driven for Stobarts in the past, and I don’t want to be rude and tar them all with the same brush but they do have some do-nuts driving for them, I can’t see the likes of ady1 passing his CPC national! Thats why I thought it might be a franchised thing as can’t see many drivers obtaining the CPC.

Rob K:
I can’t wait for the first person to come on here and say that they’re an OD for Stobbard, it’s gonna be so much fun! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:grimacing:

I love the concept of, buying your truck and being your own boss, i have my own truck, and all of my customers are my boss, cos if i let them down, they wont ring me for work again. :smiley:

Wheel Nut:
So you stump up 5k and get a new lorry you don’t own . . .

Silver_Surfer:
. . . the £5k is your deposit on one of their trucks . . .

Which one is it folks?

Stan

Wheel Nut:
As from 4th December 2011 it is no longer possible to just have a credit card with sufficient bounce in it at the back of a drawer. There needs to be professional audited accounts with projections available.

Which would suggest that if you were to take up their offer after the 4th December 2011 ESL would have to provide a projection of the work they were going to put your way so, as your sole supplier of work, you can put it forward to the authorities. Would be interesting. :wink:

Stan

can anyone explain to me a what point you become your own boss with this type of set up?
esl wont be doing this as a favour, just a few points to think of
1 the truck will be in their livery
2 you will go where they tell you
3 at a rate they choose
4 when they say
5 by the time you get here the ball is in their court!!
6 sounds a crap idea to me
moose

Stanley Knife:

Wheel Nut:
As from 4th December 2011 it is no longer possible to just have a credit card with sufficient bounce in it at the back of a drawer. There needs to be professional audited accounts with projections available.

Which would suggest that if you were to take up their offer after the 4th December 2011 ESL would have to provide a projection of the work they were going to put your way so, as your sole supplier of work, you can put it forward to the authorities. Would be interesting. :wink:

Stan

Didn’t the Law on ‘self employed’ workers having a sole customer get relaxed again in Alistair Darlings last Budget?

If I remember when I was self employed the Law was fairly flimsy on the subject anyhow.

Maybe ESL think their trampers make so much money from their Television Rights that it’s not really worth paying them properly anymore?

W

Sounds to me like its pretty much an identical deal to the :maritime one thats been knocking about for a few years there make it sound all rosie but the only thing that will be rosie will be the name on the cab :laughing:

Fileep:

as i started at 5 a.m and got back at 8 p.m id struggle to comment on a 7.41 a.m post,but my names down for it,whether they allow me to do it im not sure,was trampers only before.
to you lot 5k/8k /10 k may seem like alot of money,but whats a yam r1 [12 k appx],focus 15 k[again appx],so in real terms its the price of a new set of upvc windows and doors,2 nd hand car,2 nd hand bike.
im sure theres loads of millionaires out there who got called from pillar to post when they started out,but we dont all want to end up doing dead end jobs like you lot,some of us want to better ourselfes,and as i got a very healthy inheritance,its of no risk to me,5k wouldnt even put a dent in it,
my next post will be from some sunny climate,just made first million,enjoy the joys of the m1/m6/m5 :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Not knocking you for wanting to do it iv been on my own for a while nw n i had so many people saying dnt do it but i done it cos i wanted to not to get rich not to go on an ego trip some weeks arr good some weeks arr bad but thats life if you want any advice drop me a pm im no expert but i havnt gone bust n iv gt a few quid in the bank what i will say is these deals are not as good as they apear n there arr ova ways of owning a truck

ady1. ffs, why would you consider if? after all you tell us about your easy job where you are taking home mega bucks for day work, you want to jack that for paying them to become a tramper? I’m baffled. i really am. from what i have read, you are a fridge day man running out of, newark? you confess to stringing the job out.

now you want pack that in, to be run ragged week in week out to make a pound?

you tell us all your wages…well buddy i tramp mon to fri for stobarts. maxing my hours and four nights out and don’t make what you allegedly make…stick to your own job, your on a winner.

and ps don’t think stobart will let you make a million on his back.