Stobart has to pay for disturbing drivers rest

This could make a big change for all of us with regards disturbed during rest
independent.ie/irish-news/co … 58231.html

OOOOOFFFFTTT,cant wait to tell the lads at our place,their a pain in the arse with job swaps and start times :neutral_face:

There will be no more of that then seth going by that court ruling :0

be careful. the company have been ticked off for it but equally, the driver could be fined for answering the call in the first place. if you answer a call from the office during any rest period then it is likely to be work related in which case you are also guilty because you answered the call. this is why i had 2 phones, one for work and one for personal use. weekly rest? work phone gets turned off! unfortunately for those of use who are not employed, that means you are unable to accept shifts so it really isnt practical for us
as an employee, i have voiced my disapproval of making drivers phone in for their start times during their daily rest because it is technically illegal to do so

Scanny my crowd i work for always call from a private number so how do u know before u answer

The ruling is in Dublin so it will not be setting any precedent for the UK however given that the firm is a UK firm then I am guessing it may make them stop doing it in the UK, or a similar case may follow

Got a text from boss at 11am today and sent a reply, suppose that means I’ll have to start weekly rest all over again. :unamused: :unamused:

nedflanders:
Scanny my crowd i work for always call from a private number so how do u know before u answer

that is a good defence but they should know better anyway. i cant see the driver being done for it anyway and i certainly hope not but the company should have some respect for their staff, especially backshift/nightshift and i know of many arguements because of it. the agency want you to start at say 5pm and even though you finished at 5am, they think its fine to wake you up at 10am. i wound up asking for someones home phone number and why they asked why i said it is so i can phone you at 2am and see how you like it because that is exactly what you are doing to me. suddenly my point became clear to them :smiley:

Have i got this right.

21 agency drivers complained (claimsRus) about being contacted to offer them work during their time off after previous work.

Ok, so if the company didn’t phone them in the period of 11/13 hours after they finished their previous shift, how would they know if they even have any work or what time they would have to start work.

There’s cutting you nose off to spite your face and blinkered short sighted greed, sounds like these 21 named souls had either better find alternative types of employment or change their names if they want to stay in the agency game.

They are drivers for Stobart driver services ltd so sounds very much like a division of stobarts
could stobart not have texted them rather then a phone call would this be considered rest to be interupted ?
is it only tesco stobart does in ireland if so are they not set runs every day that they would know in advance the start times etc
maybe this is why agencys have never been successful in ireland

Juddian:
Have i got this right.

21 agency drivers complained (claimsRus) about being contacted to offer them work during their time off after previous work.

Ok, so if the company didn’t phone them in the period of 11/13 hours after they finished their previous shift, how would they know if they even have any work or what time they would have to start work.

There’s cutting you nose off to spite your face and blinkered short sighted greed, sounds like these 21 named souls had either better find alternative types of employment or change their names if they want to stay in the agency game.

Stobart Driver Services isn’t like a normal agency. Stobart Driver Services are Stobarts in house agency and are basically Stobart drivers without a permanent base. They have full time work and are sent to various depots to cover holiday, sickness etc. They do have work 5 days a week, its just they get told where it is on a daily/weekly basis.

Stobart deserve this. I used to see SDS drivers picking up their little vans at Barlborough in the middle of the night, being expected to drive all the way down to Southampton to then immediately do a 15hr shift.

conor not been funny but thats ■■■■■■■■

Conor:

Juddian:
Have i got this right.

Stobart Driver Services isn’t like a normal agency. Stobart Driver Services are Stobarts in house agency and are basically Stobart drivers without a permanent base. They have full time work and are sent to various depots to cover holiday, sickness etc. They do have work 5 days a week, its just they get told where it is on a daily/weekly basis.

Stobart deserve this. I used to see SDS drivers picking up their little vans at Barlborough in the middle of the night, being expected to drive all the way down to Southampton to then immediately do a 15hr shift.

Not the ones who came too our depot didn’t ,there traveling was taken into account ,if they’d done a hour there ,hour too get home then they’d tell the t.o they could only do 13 hrs ( if they had any 15 ,s) ,11 hrs if not .the t.o may of not been happy but that what the ones I stood next too booking in did ,just told t.o how many hours they could do.

Well, I guess that’s now 21 less drivers on the circuit!!!? They have even been named!! Wonder how many companies will take them on now, I know if I was a TM and heard about that, I wouldn’t take them on as it would be in the back of my mind that they could end up taking me to court for something trivial!!? How can you be informed of what work you have got and what timings are if they are unable to make contact with you!?

txt or email. there is no need to wake someone up to give them a start time in this day and age. i get my shifts by txt and i reply when i wake up. they dont know what time i finished and i wont be woken up for something like that. the only reason someone should be woken up is if they are on call to go somewhere immediately and i dont provide that service. i know roughly when i will be starting so i make sure i am in bed in time to wake up for the earliest likely start time

stvme2519:
conor not been funny but thats [zb]

So you were there were you?

scanny77:
txt or email. there is no need to wake someone up to give them a start time in this day and age. i get my shifts by txt and i reply when i wake up.

Same here. They tend to not text before 2pm because they know I’ve been on nights.

don’t you know conor knows everything about everything.

but on topic why you cant put your phone on silent and wake up and reply is beyond me.

war1974:
don’t you know conor knows everything about everything.

but on topic why you cant put your phone on silent and wake up and reply is beyond me.

there basically just a bunch of agency fannies that clocked onto the idea of a quick a earner in our changing world of litigation minded desperate people.the fact they are agency workers just means if as and when they get binned or squeezed out,they will just go somewhere else to scrape a few shifts from.any normal employer who would possibly reference their name is not going to employ them due to their history unless their daft,though its not likely to be a memorable situation in paddy truck history.being able to show a weeks cards with no infringements is more likely to be remembered by most. :smiley:

Don’t think they are agency workers - they are full time employees of Stobart (Ireland) Driver Services. The company was not calling them to notify them of their start time/location (which voicemail would easily take care of if they were sleeping etc), rather they were required (by their employer) to phone in to the office to find out this information for themselves.

This has been rumbling on for a few years now - more details here:
debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2012/03/13/00019.asp

I don’t think there are any significant consequences for drivers in the UK, as all the actions were brought in Ireland under Irish legislation.

We’re normally told what we’re doing during our shift. On Fridays they tell us what we’re doing on Monday.